Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I cant find the glow plugs on my Santa Fe CM 2007 (yes, it's a diesel:D) Any one have a manual or picture?
Thanks!
/Daniel

·
Registered
843 Posts
Don't know myself exactly for your engine but..
You should see some interlinked strong electric wiring from one cylinder to the other to what look like long thin bolts sticking out on top. Normally they are connected with little srew-and-nuts.
The injectors have fuel lines attached so no mistake there.
Good luck,
Paul

·
Registered
25 Posts
Look around the intake that is where the intake heater is , glow plugs are old school they are not used on direct injection diesel engines.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Look around the intake that is where the intake heater is , glow plugs are old school they are not used on direct injection diesel engines.
In Europe we buy lots of direct injection diesel cars which have glow plugs. Hyundai Glow Plugs (Heater Plugs) CH226 Champion | UKDieselParts.com

Have a read of Wikipedia Glowplug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"For that reason indirect injected diesel engines are manufactured with glow-plugs in each prechamber, and direct injected diesel engines are manufactured with glow-plugs in each combustion chamber.

I spent last weekend helping my son change the glowplugs on his GM Europe diesel car, same engine as used by GM, Fiat, Alfa, Dodge, etc !!

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Don't know myself exactly for your engine but..
You should see some interlinked strong electric wiring from one cylinder to the other to what look like long thin bolts sticking out on top. Normally they are connected with little srew-and-nuts.
The injectors have fuel lines attached so no mistake there.
Good luck,
Paul
I think the 2006-2009 2.2CRDTi is an updated version of the earlier 2.0CRDi D4EA in which case an earlier thread may help http://www.hyundai-forums.com/195-s...12-2004-santa-fe-crdi-glow-plug-location.html

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
The intake heater and the glow plugs perform different functions but may BOTH come into play on a very cold start.

I do not believe that it is possible to achieve the temperature necessary to fire the fuel on a cold start WITHOUT something like a glow plug.

How about a published reference for what you are claiming ?
I don't think you can find one.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Harley,
Maybe you are mixed up with fuel heating. This is done in these diesel engines. Diesel only ignites at some 600 degr. C.
So it does need cylinder heating by means of glow plugs at cold start.
You must notice the pre-heater indicator for some time at your instrument panel when starting up.
Heated diesel fuel will also help fot better ignition of the fuel.
Furthermore, intake air is even cooled by the intercooler for it's getting hot by the turbo charger. So certainly intake air is not heated for the diesel engine.
Direct injection means injection into the combustion chamber, so at high pressure. Indirect is into the intake air channel, so low pressure, but that is not used so much anymore.
Greets,
Paul

·
Registered
843 Posts
Following the schematic of the D4EA engine (maybe they are somewhat identical) glow plugs are located a bit (maybe 7 inches) underneath each cylinder head injector on the front side of the engine.
Good luck,
Paul

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
The term "diesel mechanic" from Canada suggests to me it's referring to North American truck diesels which may well be very different to the car diesels which now dominate European car sales.

·
Registered
1 Posts
glow plugs are well hidden on this engine. first take off intercooler followed by engine cover. On the right hand side, standing looking at car there is the glow plug bar connector. you will have to look over the top of the engine and down the side of the engine furthest from you. be warned this is tricky. Just tried mine can't get them out, stuck in, called in mechanic he can't either will now have to go to garage. Be very careful when getting them out if you break them the head has to come off. PM me and I'll send you a picture

·
Registered
1 Posts
Glow plug location

Hi you will find the glow plugs located down the rear of the engine
To gain access to them you will need to remove the inter cooler and support engine cover (top) intercooler hose etc and kneal on the front engine compartment panel and lean over the engine and good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Glow Plugs

Same 2litre CRDI engine as Trajet. Glow Plugs are at the back of the engine, below the exhaust manifold. 2 are difficult, 2 are impossible without removing a lot. Best of luck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts