Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my 3rd Sonata and my previous 2 cars were financed thru HMF including this one. I always got the title with the Lien on it. I just don't remember where I got the previous titles from. The DMV directly? HMF? The Dealer? As I did receive my registration in the mail "from the dealer" a couple weeks after purchase . I'm in NYS btw. I checked the DMV online and as of 3/24 they said it was issued 3/10. Where did others get theirs from? Starting to worry. Especially after my regular letter carrier has been absent for the past couple weeks and one day I get all the mail from the wrong house. Not just "A" letter but several and not even one for me.

EDIT: To clarify, ONLY if you financed thru HMF and not a bank or other lender. I'm asking the "delivery method" by which you received your Lien title? Did you receive it in the mail from.....
A: Your dealership of purchase (how "I" received my registration)
B: Directly from your state DMV
C: From HMF

THX
My past 2 cars I traded in and having the Lien title in my possession signed the car over to them. The dealer paid off the remaining loan balance.

·
Registered
2012 Sonata 2.0t Ltd & 2020 Palisade Ltd
308 Posts
This is my 3rd Sonata and my previous 2 cars were financed thru HMF including this one. I always got the title with the Lien on it. I just don't remember where I got the previous titles from. The DMV directly? HMF? The Dealer? As I did receive my registration in the mail "from the dealer" a couple weeks after purchase . I'm in NYS btw. I checked the DMV online and as of 3/24 they said it was issued 3/10. Where did others get theirs from? Starting to worry. Especially after my regular letter carrier has been absent for the past couple weeks and one day I get all the mail from the wrong house. Not just "A" letter but several and not even one for me.
You don't get the title until your loan is paid off. HMF has it. I'm financing part of our 2020 Palisade through HMF and I don't have the title, nor do I expect it until it is paid off.

My previous car wasn't financed through HMF, but through a bank, and that's how it was done.

Not sure how you got it in the past. Unless your state has different rules, I guess, but I've never heard of that.

PS: HMF seems pretty much closed right now (COVID-19). When you call, an automated message tells you to expect longer wait times, but it just hangs up on you.

·
Registered
191 Posts
In Minnesota, you get the title from the State with the Lienholder and your name on it, including HMF. When it is paid off, you get the Lien card from the Lender saying it is paid off, free and clear. HMF does keep the title for your lease. I suppose States can do things differently.

ominousone

·
Registered
19 Posts
At least in Texas, you used to get a courtesy copy of the title. But maybe 15 years ago, they changed that, and now you don't get anything until the lien is paid off.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Limited; 2019 Tucson Ultimate
30 Posts
First of all, EVERY state IS different. It is up to each state to enact its own laws for property titling, registration, and loans. It is up to each state to decide what documents are created, owned, maintained. What happens in Texas, Missouri, or Florida does not matter to you, though the information from those people is interesting.

The best indicator (so far that I have read here) is your own past experience. You got a Lien Title, probably some time after the Official Title was issued. The dates you saw online may have been for the Official Title, and it sounds like (since you said you had a Lien Title) that one and will go to the lender to hold. I would expect you get the Lien Title some time later, and as Eric noted, it may be later than usual, due to offices closed and businesses in general working at much less than usual capacity. It probably will help to have a little extra patience at this time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts