Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is 40mm a good drop for the Coupe/Tiburon and is it adviseable to leave it on some 15inch rims for optimum performance?

Mark

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey man. 40mm should be fine, but 15s might look a little small on the tibby. I believe 17s are common, and they shouldn't give you any problems. I have a 2001 accent with a 2"/50mm drop and it drives great. No rims yet, but will be going for 15s. People have put 17s on accents, so on the tibby it should work well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Originally posted by occultworks@Oct 12 2004, 07:58 AM
Hey man.  40mm should be fine, but 15s might look a little small on the tibby.  I believe 17s are common, and they shouldn't give you any problems.  I have a 2001 accent with a 2"/50mm drop and it drives great.  No rims yet, but will be going for 15s.  People have put 17s on accents, so on the tibby it should work well.
[snapback]1675[/snapback]​

If you get 15s you'll likely have to get a tire in the 195/50 range or smaller. I've got 205/55/R15s on my '01 Accent and the back tires rub when you corner at all quickly, or when you hit dips in the road. I'm only using that size because I already had the tires and rims before I bought my Accent.

If I lowered it at all I'd be hunting for a set of 45 series tires. 16s with a 40 series tire would likely fit too. I think the only way 17s would fit on an Accent with a 40 series tire would be if they left the suspension at stock height or had the fender lip rolled under.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry, forgot to mention that 17s should fit the Tiburon without any problem. They have pretty big wheel wells to fill up. 17s with 40 series should be perfect with that drop.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi,

40mm is pretty standard drop without putting undue strain on your standard suspension componentry. Any lower and you'd need to consider replacing most , if not all, your suspension parts.

Just remember that the whole idea with replacing your suspension is not only to reduce your roll centre but to also reduce the unsprung weight on each corner.

17's would look good but would probably be heavier than the steelies your replacing.

It obviously depends whether you want looks or performance.

Bye for now.

Andrew

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought a set of rims and tires for my 1999 Elantra wagon on Ebay. The 16" rims are fitted with 205/50/16 Bridgestone Potenzas. Even with the spring spacers, it rubs in the back when you hit a dip in the road or turn corners with passengers in the car. I was thinking 205/40/16 tires would work, but I am leaning towards 195/50/16 tires. Any suggestions??? B)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi :)

Great tyres! Makes you wonder why they were being sold...

You mentioned you were using spring spacers. To raise the vehicle?Or what.

I don't know if you have your suspension lowered(?!!!) but I would consider the narrower tyre, or have the rear guard lips rolled at least.

Can't imagine what the ride is like with 50 series on. Bit of a boom crash opera? Hopefully not.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Bye for now.

Cheers,

Andrew B)

·
Registered
49 Posts
My experiences:
I don't want to use bigger than 15" in my country due to our not so good village roads.
I've been using summer 205/55 (!) R15 Kumhos on 7,0x15 ET45 (front and rear ET45) Team Dynamics rim and driving my RD Wagon often overloaded. No suspension modifications yet and seems no excessive strain to it due to used very high offset. There were no rubs !!! around *rear* wheels up to now -half a year of almost everyday driving- and only one rub around right *front* wheel after running into big road hole like cross-section caused by caved in gas piping under road (5 meters wide, almost 1 meter long, undulated tarmac-from 10-20cm deep). There was 30kmeters/h speed limit here, I mistakenly ran at 70kmeters/h :blush: Good results at such offset fitted onto Wagon I think.

If most of you say offset 45 is too much for *front* wheels I say it could be even 48-49 without any unwanting rubbing :thumbsup: Well, *rear* should be less than my ET45, but as I've said either on ET45 I've got no problems yet. At that time I wanted to be able to mix them all when necessary.

I've done also little experiments with unusual 215/50 R15 on 7,5x15 ET45 Azevs but unwanted and dangerous steering wheel self-movements appeared. So I rather sold them.

Regards.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi,

Tyre rubbing might be an issue, but I was thinking more so that the extra slight additional increase in track centres has an effect in so far as the steering effort and tyre wear as well as additional long term effects on componentry.

It's probably not until you renew your suspension that you realise how much wasn't right with the old suspension.

Just a thought.

Cheers,

Andrew

1 - 9 of 9 Posts