Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
2,258 Posts
you know that decreases the thread count on the studs, right? very dangerous.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
For the very reason mentioned by ImStricken, I would strongly recommend bolt on, hub centric spacers. These have their own studs, so you bolt these to your hub, and use the studs on the spacers to attach your wheels. The studs from your vehicle hub will fit into the slots in the back of the wheel. Also, hub centric spacers have the hub bore lip that extends to keep your wheel centered when you tighten the lugs and thus minimize vibration. I had a pair of Ichiba on my Highlander and I had slight vibration with my OEM wheels, but smooth as silk with my winter alloys. If you want top quality, go with H&R. I had Ichiba spacers on my Highlander and found slight vibration with my OEM, but no vibration with my winter alloys. That may have been because my winters were 17" vs my summer 19" and were able to "absorb" and vibration.

The smallest you can get in bolt on (as far as I know) is 15mm, which would be the equivalent of converting your OEM wheels to +34 offset from +49, and you may find that your front tires extend slightly outside the front fender. Also, you risk the tire rubbing on the rear fender which has a plastic and metal piece which extends into the wheel well.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For the very reason mentioned by ImStricken, I would strongly recommend bolt on, hub centric spacers. These have their own studs, so you bolt these to your hub, and use the studs on the spacers to attach your wheels. The studs from your vehicle hub will fit into the slots in the back of the wheel. Also, hub centric spacers have the hub bore lip that extends to keep your wheel centered when you tighten the lugs and thus minimize vibration. I had a pair of Ichiba on my Highlander and I had slight vibration with my OEM wheels, but smooth as silk with my winter alloys. If you want top quality, go with H&R. I had Ichiba spacers on my Highlander and found slight vibration with my OEM, but no vibration with my winter alloys. That may have been because my winters were 17" vs my summer 19" and were able to "absorb" and vibration.

The smallest you can get in bolt on (as far as I know) is 15mm, which would be the equivalent of converting your OEM wheels to +34 offset from +49, and you may find that your front tires extend slightly outside the front fender. Also, you risk the tire rubbing on the rear fender which has a plastic and metal piece which extends into the wheel well.
Hey Thanks for the info! I did see those ones you mentioned on YouTube
Might stick out too much though. Must investigate more. Cheers!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'd go with H&R, to bad they don't make spacers for our cars, yet.

I've had H&R 10/15mm on my bimmer and there was no vibrations/shimmy at any speed up to 160mph.

·
Registered
31 Posts
you know that decreases the thread count on the studs, right? very dangerous.
Only if you go to wide, general rule of thumb is as long as the nut covers it's width plus 3 threads your be fine. It's what we work to in the aviation industry and I have worked to when using spacers on my cars in the past.

I guess it depends on how far out you want to go?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Only if you go to wide, general rule of thumb is as long as the nut covers it's width plus 3 threads your be fine. It's what we work to in the aviation industry and I have worked to when using spacers on my cars in the past.

I guess it depends on how far out you want to go?
sure, we all know you guys in the aviation industry are just winging it. :D

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've used bolt on spacers on ever vehicle I've owned to increase the width of the stance - and will do the same with the Santa Fe. I've yet to measure to see what width is needed to bring the OE wheels flush with the wheel well, but that's what I'll be shooting for. Probably anwhere from 15-20mm from just a pure guess-timate.

Wheel spacers from a reputable brand are safe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts