Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To anyone that can help:

Looking into getting wheel spacers for my '09 Sonata GLS - Stock rims and suspension. Just wanna push the wheels out to to line up with fender and body and give it more aggressive stance until I take care of the expensive stuff.

My questions are:

Does anyone have wheels spacers on their ride & what are your thoughts?

And if you do or know about them do you have any suggestions on brand or where to get them?

Any advice is appreciated - thanks in advance.

·
Registered
102 Posts
QUOTE (G.C. @ Apr 25 2010, 10:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316818
To anyone that can help:

Looking into getting wheel spacers for my '09 Sonata GLS - Stock rims and suspension. Just wanna push the wheels out to to line up with fender and body and give it more aggressive stance until I take care of the expensive stuff.

My questions are:

And if you do or know about them do you have any suggestions on brand or where to get them?

I had to use a very small spacer on my front wheels because the middle cap on the rims didnt clear all the way back on the rotor. Other then that, I wouldnt use spacers because the tire is designed to go under the wheel well in the case of a big pothole or a bottom out. If your tires are sticking out along the fender line, then you might rub your tire on the fender and it could either.... A. bend the fender line.... B. rub or cut the tires... C. both... I have seen a civic with lowering springs and tires that matched the fender line BLOW both front tires and bent the fenders as the car was going really fast into a gas station.... Man I laughed for days as the guy came out the civic and tried to kick it and fell.... :grin:

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Man I laughed for days as the guy came out the civic and tried to kick it and fell....
Living proof that appearance and practicality oft conflict. it's a shame the Civic couldn't kick back. :grin:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've never used spacers on a car; however, I have a big lifted Jeep that I use for off-roading, and I know quite a few guys in the local Jeep club use them to accommodate bigger tires so they can turn w/out rubbing. They seem to be fine, but I have heard of some people having axle issues as a result of the increased leverage when they use really big spacers. I'd stick to smaller ones if you absolutely have to have them. A better option though would be new rims with different backspacing so you don't have to mess with the spacers at all.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (G.C. @ Apr 25 2010, 10:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316818
To anyone that can help:

Tire Rack is a great source of wheel spacers and spacer info.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I would be leary of using spacers. There was a post here a while back where someone had problems and Hyundai refused to honor the warranty because of the use of spacers. Be vary vary carfeful.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
QUOTE (cmerica @ Apr 27 2010, 06:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317217
I would be leary of using spacers. There was a post here a while back where someone had problems and Hyundai refused to honor the warranty because of the use of spacers. Be vary vary carfeful.
That was me! Basically the shop I took my car to to get new tires installed on my factory wheels overtorqued the "aftermarket" stud they installed (the original one snapped). Then my dealership refused to warranty the wheel hub assembly which needed to be replaced because the stud Tiresplus used was too large and anything the dealership would have put in there would have just pulled right out. The dealership used my aftermarket rims, lug nuts and wheel spacers as the culprit for reason for denying warranty service. My buddy who works at the dealership service dept. later told me that the stud installed by tiresplus had all this glue/sticky crap around it to hold it in place just long enough for me to have a tough time proving they created the issue.

So while I highly doubt the 3MM spacer I used was the culprit, I wouldn't just go installing wheel spacers to "make your wheels flush."

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was going to consider wheel spacers to make my wheels stick out farther then the fender to give it a mean look but now im reconsidering. Can aftermarket rims alone void a warranty service?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey - Thanks alot for all the input guys - I'll have to do a little more research but I think I might just hold off for some rims - Thanks for all the feedback

·
Registered
19 Posts
QUOTE (blongen @ Apr 28 2010, 06:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317718
I was going to consider wheel spacers to make my wheels stick out farther then the fender to give it a mean look but now im reconsidering. Can aftermarket rims alone void a warranty service?
No, aftermarket wheels alone can not void the warranty. The dealer would have to show that the aftermarket wheels caused the problem you are experiencing. Even then, it would only void the warranty for that issue (for example, if you had aftermarket wheels and they could show that caused a bad wheel bearing then it would void the warranty for that problem), not for the car as a whole.

My example is not the best because I am not sure wheel bearings are covered under the warranty. There was some debate on that with others who own the same Infiniti as me.

·
Banned
873 Posts
QUOTE (gischpel @ Apr 28 2010, 10:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317805
No, aftermarket wheels alone can not void the warranty. The dealer would have to show that the aftermarket wheels caused the problem you are experiencing. Even then, it would only void the warranty for that issue (for example, if you had aftermarket wheels and they could show that caused a bad wheel bearing then it would void the warranty for that problem), not for the car as a whole.

My example is not the best because I am not sure wheel bearings are covered under the warranty. There was some debate on that with others who own the same Infiniti as me.
wrong! wheels these days can void warranty eaaaaasily, friend of mine has a 350z pushing 19x10 and 19x11 with 22+ offset all around, the wheels were too wide he hit the fenders on a big huge pot hole (very unlucky) and his wheel bearing or some compent got screwed and dealer avoided warranty :innocent:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts