Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, having big rims always looks cool, but how does it affects the cars performance? I think a bigger circunference should help achieving more speed, but i'm not quite sure whether smaller rims would help accelerate faster. Perhaps someone could give me his point of view here.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It actually depends more on the size of your vehicle. On an accent, I wouldn't go any bigger than 15"ers. On a tib, I would say 17". It's also not necessarily the size that affects performance, it's the weight too. You could have a 30lb 15in. rim, and feel like you're driving a geo. Or you could have a 10lb. 17" rim and have no problems at all.

As for looks, don't get anything that looks like you put dinner plates on a matchbox car. You also don't want the tires to rub the insides of your fenders. I didn't see what car you had, but 17's on an accent just looks wack.

Just mi opinion.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by occultworks@Oct 17 2004, 05:29 AM
It actually depends more on the size of your vehicle.  On an accent, I wouldn't go any bigger than 15"ers.  On a tib, I would say 17".  It's also not necessarily the size that affects performance, it's the weight too.  You could have a 30lb 15in. rim, and feel like you're driving a geo.  Or you could have a 10lb. 17" rim and have no problems at all. 

As for looks, don't get anything that looks like you put dinner plates on a matchbox car.  You also don't want the tires to rub the insides of your fenders.  I didn't see what car you had, but 17's on an accent just looks wack.

Just mi opinion.
[snapback]1783[/snapback]​

Hi, do you know what material should I be looking for when shopping for rims in order to minimize weight? And well, as for looks, i drive a sonata, so i think 17's would do fine... i'd like 18's, but i'm not sure whether or not they would fit in my budget.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Something else you may want to consider is the quality of your roads. The bigger the rim, the smaller the sidewall, so if you hit a bad bump or pothole you can wreck the rim. Alloy rims tend to be more brittle than steel so they can actually crack under a hard impact.

·
Registered
224 Posts
As far as weight saving goes - Magnesium Alloy is the material of the pro's as it is very light - the only downside is that it is also flammable - so if your breaks were to seize then there's a god possibility that they'll catch fire.

A wheel caught fire in a touring car race and when the car came off the road and to a halt, one of the marshals ran up to it and sprayed it with water to put it out - bad move ... water on a magnesium fire is very dangerous - so the whole wheel exploded.

Mag-alloys also wont be cheap - so your best bet is some kind of Steel-Aluminium Alloy - but as Gordo said - get too large a rim (and therefore too small a tyre) and you'll wreck them on the first pothole you hit.

Why not drop us a pic when you've made your decision and got them fitted?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by soullink@Oct 28 2004, 10:51 AM
As far as weight saving goes - Magnesium Alloy is the material of the pro's as it is very light - the only downside is that it is also flammable - so if your breaks were to seize then there's a god possibility that they'll catch fire.

A wheel caught fire in a touring car race and when the car came off the road and to a halt, one of the marshals ran up to it and sprayed it with water to put it out - bad move ... water on a magnesium fire is very dangerous - so the whole wheel exploded.

Mag-alloys also wont be cheap - so your best bet is some kind of Steel-Aluminium Alloy - but as Gordo said - get too large a rim (and therefore too small a tyre) and you'll wreck them on the first pothole you hit.

Why not drop us a pic when you've made your decision and got them fitted?
[snapback]2099[/snapback]​

yes, I will really have to ask around about steel-aluminum alloy wheels with people who actually have them, because here in Peru there are some streets that are in bad state, really bumpy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Having bigger rims is always a good sight but

BIGGER WHEELS = MORE WEIGHT = THE NEED 4 BIGGER BRAKES

This isn't always true but try to find some rims that weigh the same as the ones on it right now. This is just what Ive heard...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Or you could just get something that's lighter. The less rotational mass that you have, the easier it will be to get your car rollin. I'm going for the Konig Heliums myself.

·
Registered
44 Posts
hehe, I have some swirly star rims for my excel, they weigh close to nothing and are 15's so it'll be great. and like you might have been able to tell I'm not really concerned about the looks. My rims were free, i was down to sport the hubcaps, more sleeper look.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Originally posted by occultworks@Nov 10 2004, 05:41 AM
Or you could just get something that's lighter.  The less rotational mass that you have, the easier it will be to get your car rollin.  I'm going for the Konig Heliums myself.
[snapback]2547[/snapback]​

I'm looking at Heliums too. They're the lightest "affordable" wheel out there. They probably weigh less in 15" than the stock 13" steel wheels do. Aren't the Heliums somewhere around 11lbs a wheel?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yep, 11.3 I think.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Originally posted by TurboT@Dec 9 2004, 05:22 PM
I'm looking at Heliums too.  They're the lightest "affordable" wheel out there.  They probably weigh less in 15" than the stock 13" steel wheels do.  Aren't the Heliums somewhere around 11lbs a wheel?
[snapback]3484[/snapback]​

Man, those would be sweet. There's a guy selling his Bronze Heliums down in our local VW club. I'd love to pick those up. He says the tires will be good for another summer but I somehow doubt it, seeing as the wheels are on his 11 second Scirocco. I went through set of tires in one summer with my 14 second Jetta, and I used slicks at the track. :D

I'll have to save my pennies! ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts