Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 Sonata with the standard 16" steel wheel / plastic wheel cover setup is surprising me with what seems to be an unusual amount of rusting of all 4 of the steel wheels visible through the spaces between the plastic wheel cover "spokes".

I've scanned this and other Hyundai forums as well as the web generally and haven't seen anybody else reporting this. While this is probably not a big deal, it does make my otherwise nice looking car look like it's been in a flood. (which it hasn't)

I'm curious as to whether anybody else is seeing this issue. I live in Delaware, USA and our climate is 4-season but not extreme. I can't think of any explanation other than maybe a batch of wheels not finished effectively to spec. Also possibly worth noting is that my car was produced at the Alabama, US plant.

Anybody else see this?

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Yes, your car was ASSEMBLED in Alabama, but you have no idea where the wheels were made.

You bought a Hyundai. They are made of cheap steel. Go buy a can of Rustoleum and paint them every year.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
QUOTE (jsinton @ Sep 14 2010, 08:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356224
You bought a Hyundai. They are made of cheap steel. Go buy a can of Rustoleum and paint them every year.
I'm sure his car is not the first to have the black steelies rust. I see it on Hondas here all the time and the fact that it's a Hyundai has nothing to do with it. I will agree that painting them annually will help keep the rust at bay.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am experiencing the same problem with all FOUR of the wheels. Except my car is newer!
I own a 2009 Elantra and I have been trying to get assistance with this matter since it had about 32,000 miles. Until March of this year we resided in Indiana. I have contacted the local dealer, the dealer in Indiana, Service Managers, and the Hyandai Consumer Affairs.
They state its not under warranty.
Feel free to contact me and maybe others will too. We may be able to follow up and get this problem corrected as it should be taken care of by Hyundai.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I am experiencing the same problem with all FOUR of the wheels. Except my car is newer!
I own a 2009 Elantra and I have been trying to get assistance with this matter since it had about 32,000 miles. Until March of this year we resided in Indiana. I have contacted the local dealer, the dealer in Indiana, Service Managers, and the Hyandai Consumer Affairs.
Feel free to contact me and maybe others will too. We may be able to follow up and get this problem corrected as it should be taken care of by Hyundai.

Totally agree, my three year old i20 wheels are rusting like ****, it's all started from the premade holes in each wheel.
I had all the wheels photographed by the main dealer and submitted to Hyundai warranty department, but they refuse to take any responsibility.
Not covered apparently, stone chips, salt, washing with the wrong detergent??
Give me strength, not painted properly more like at the factory.
S.

·
Banned
532 Posts
Great, another action class.....anyone read the warranty?

I read a 7 and 5 year old car both in rust belt sates, with surface rust likely mixed with brake dust. I guess that's why I go with extruded rims all the time, plus I don't have the patience to properly clean and wax four rims and each little spoke on both sides a couple times a year, at least at my age now.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
I always had stellies in the winter for my winter tires and they always rusted very fast regardless of the car make. My mom's steel wheels on her 2007 Ford Focus are rusted as well. You must repaint them every few years.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
My Accent came with these and had rust on the wheels. I took the wheels & hub caps off, painted the wheels flat black (which made it look SO much better) and I also plasti-dipped the hub caps to give it a little character until I got my custom wheels/tires on. It's a quick and fun job to paint the wheels.

It just seems to me that getting ahold of the warranty department over it is a huge overreaction. I work at a wheel/tire shop and I can't remember the last time I saw a car that wasn't brand new with steel wheels that didn't have rust. It's pretty much inevitable. Just touch them up from time to time. It's no biggie.

·
Registered
407 Posts
My 2006 Sonata GL has the same wheels...and the same problem.

I also happen to be in Maryland...though I don't think climate makes all that much difference. These things have a fully developed, uniform "patina" across them ("Patina" being a fancy term for "rust," or "corrosion product," of course)

I've been tempted to paint them with a rust-converting form of Rustoleum* (tm), but I really don't want to be bothered with masking everything, or removing the wheels (and still having to mask the tires).

Luckily, my car is "Cinnamon Red," so I just tell people, "It matches, see!"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts