Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Looks good, cost vs: powder coating. I'm getting my wheels powder coated for $260 for all 4. Plus its more durable then a over coat of (alsa and plasti-dip). I like all three but personal preference on powder coating. If you get the kit I would love to see it!

·
2,258 Posts
your wheels take a beating. plasti-dip is soft, so it kinda cushions any rocks and they bounce off. paint will chip. powder coat is a thick, strong coating. if i was going to do anything to my rims, it would be either a soft coating like plasti-dip/bed liner, or powder coat. powder coat is an awesome process and super strong.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks good, cost vs: powder coating. I'm getting my wheels powder coated for $260 for all 4. Plus its more durable then a over coat of (alsa and plasti-dip). I like all three but personal preference on powder coating. If you get the kit I would love to see it!
I'd be happy to have someone refinish the wheels for $260. Plus, powder coat seems more durable than the "Killer Kit". I'm not looking forward to doing it myself. But when I checked with a wheel refinishing company, they wanted $600 and the wheels for a week.

Do you have a link for who quoted you $260 for 4 wheels?
John

·
Registered
253 Posts
I had my wheels powder coated on my bimmer ($300 for all 4), clearcoat was peeling off. After 4 years they looked like new.
Cleaning them from the brake dust was piece of cake compared to original paint.

John;
I think it shouldn't cost more than ~$75-100 each.
more than that would be ripoff...unless its a combination of few colors - more work.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Phhhh 'Merican prices... I paid $420 up here in Toronto for my previous set of wheels to be powder coated in fluorescent yellow. $260 is an amazing price.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Powder coating pricing can be all over the board. I had a quote last year here in town for $50.00/wheel. This only included the outside front. More to do inside the rim and the back.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'd be happy to have someone refinish the wheels for $260. Plus, powder coat seems more durable than the "Killer Kit". I'm not looking forward to doing it myself. But when I checked with a wheel refinishing company, they wanted $600 and the wheels for a week.

Do you have a link for who quoted you $260 for 4 wheels?
John

It's a local powder coating company we use here in Sebastian, FL. I'm not sure how much they would do your wheels for plus shipping.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yeah $260 is inside and out. That's whole sale pricing as well keep in mind. retail price is $397.41 w/tax. I havn't figured out what color if I want flat, satin or gloss black.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I work at a major electroplating company. My wheels would be very cheap (or free) to chrome, but I'm hesitant. I'm not exactly sure how they would turn out.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Be a whole lot easier if Hyundai would wake up and realize the 17" wheels are UGLY!!!!!!!!B)
Not to mention way too small for a car like the SFS. 18" should have been the smallest option for it. I do like the 19" version but would not complain if it came with 20" :)

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Fully agree, and why I bought 20" after-market for my SF XL. However, you would be surprised how many people would give up their 19" for 17" simply to achieve a softer and cushier ride quality. Again, different strokes for different folks, and I think most manufacturers gamble that a greater %age of the population would prefer the softer ride that comes with smaller wheels.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Not to mention the cost when it comes to replacing the tires. It seems the larger the wheel size, the more expensive the tire. One of the reasons why I did not choose the Turbo model.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Not to mention the cost when it comes to replacing the tires. It seems the larger the wheel size, the more expensive the tire. One of the reasons why I did not choose the Turbo model.
Ironic given your user name. Just thought I would point that out. :D

·
Registered
544 Posts
LOL...I was thinking the same thing after I posted. Turbofan comes from my love of airplanes though. Turbofan, Ramjet, etc.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It's not the rim size that drives up the tire price. It's how popular that size is. If there's a higher demand for a 255/50/20 vs: 235/65/17 (stock 17" SF tire size) is the same price. If you put a odd size 20" tire on it's going to cost you more than those in demand. I see it every day, since I do work at a tire/service garage. Just a hint a 265/35/22 is cheaper than all those tire sizes since a customer came in yesterday and bought a set.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
It's not the rim size that drives up the tire price. It's how popular that size is. If there's a higher demand for a 255/50/20 vs: 235/65/17 (stock 17" SF tire size) is the same price. If you put a odd size 20" tire on it's going to cost you more than those in demand. I see it every day, since I do work at a tire/service garage. Just a hint a 265/35/22 is cheaper than all those tire sizes since a customer came in yesterday and bought a set.
Of course it's cheaper...in that size there's hardly any rubber. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts