Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Looks good, cost vs: powder coating. I'm getting my wheels powder coated for $260 for all 4. Plus its more durable then a over coat of (alsa and plasti-dip). I like all three but personal preference on powder coating. If you get the kit I would love to see it!

·
2,258 Posts
your wheels take a beating. plasti-dip is soft, so it kinda cushions any rocks and they bounce off. paint will chip. powder coat is a thick, strong coating. if i was going to do anything to my rims, it would be either a soft coating like plasti-dip/bed liner, or powder coat. powder coat is an awesome process and super strong.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks good, cost vs: powder coating. I'm getting my wheels powder coated for $260 for all 4. Plus its more durable then a over coat of (alsa and plasti-dip). I like all three but personal preference on powder coating. If you get the kit I would love to see it!
I'd be happy to have someone refinish the wheels for $260. Plus, powder coat seems more durable than the "Killer Kit". I'm not looking forward to doing it myself. But when I checked with a wheel refinishing company, they wanted $600 and the wheels for a week.

Do you have a link for who quoted you $260 for 4 wheels?
John

·
Registered
253 Posts
I had my wheels powder coated on my bimmer ($300 for all 4), clearcoat was peeling off. After 4 years they looked like new.
Cleaning them from the brake dust was piece of cake compared to original paint.

John;
I think it shouldn't cost more than ~$75-100 each.
more than that would be ripoff...unless its a combination of few colors - more work.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'd be happy to have someone refinish the wheels for $260. Plus, powder coat seems more durable than the "Killer Kit". I'm not looking forward to doing it myself. But when I checked with a wheel refinishing company, they wanted $600 and the wheels for a week.

Do you have a link for who quoted you $260 for 4 wheels?
John

It's a local powder coating company we use here in Sebastian, FL. I'm not sure how much they would do your wheels for plus shipping.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Fully agree, and why I bought 20" after-market for my SF XL. However, you would be surprised how many people would give up their 19" for 17" simply to achieve a softer and cushier ride quality. Again, different strokes for different folks, and I think most manufacturers gamble that a greater %age of the population would prefer the softer ride that comes with smaller wheels.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It's not the rim size that drives up the tire price. It's how popular that size is. If there's a higher demand for a 255/50/20 vs: 235/65/17 (stock 17" SF tire size) is the same price. If you put a odd size 20" tire on it's going to cost you more than those in demand. I see it every day, since I do work at a tire/service garage. Just a hint a 265/35/22 is cheaper than all those tire sizes since a customer came in yesterday and bought a set.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
It's not the rim size that drives up the tire price. It's how popular that size is. If there's a higher demand for a 255/50/20 vs: 235/65/17 (stock 17" SF tire size) is the same price. If you put a odd size 20" tire on it's going to cost you more than those in demand. I see it every day, since I do work at a tire/service garage. Just a hint a 265/35/22 is cheaper than all those tire sizes since a customer came in yesterday and bought a set.
Of course it's cheaper...in that size there's hardly any rubber. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts