Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, i have the factory wheel/hubcap combo 13 inch. the rust on the wheels peeks through the open spots on the caps and makes it look real crappy and really bothers me. has anyone re-painted theres and what paint will hold up real good without spending a fortune?

·
Registered
86 Posts
i had this same problem like yours so i only painted one of my wheels. i used rust-oleum with a mate black. the main reason i only painted one wheel was because i only had one can left over from a previous project that i had done.

i cleaned the rim really well with soap to get all the break dust off.

then i sanded the rim, not all the way to the bare metal, but i made sure to take out the rust that was showing and that way the paint would grab on.

its been almost 2 years now and it still looks good. (come to think of it, i need to do this to all my rims.)

all you need is to jack up the car (to take out the wheel)
some sand paper, i think my dad had extra wet sand paper so i used that.
couple cans of spray paint. i would say one can of primer for every two wheels. then if u want to paint with some other color, its your choice. (i dont know if you are going to put back the wheel covers on or not.)
lastly you are going to need some time, i spent about an hour and a half to prep only one rim. (cleaning/sanding)

sandpaper of your choice about 5 bucks
one can of primer paint (i use and like rust-oleum) about 6 bucks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, ill probably head in that direction. as long as they are prepped well, they should last for a little while. we have this stuff where i work called por15 but it is insane expensive especially for stock steel wheels. thanks.

·
22,793 Posts
Agree with the rattle can of Rust-oleum in your preferred color. Tape around the rim to protect the sidewalls from overspray after you've cleaned them off from the aforementioned dust, dirt, etc. Just an old brush, suds, and a light coating of elbow grease will suffice. Use per directions on the can. Several light coats are better than one heavy one. Allow to dry. Done.

Some like the Plasti-Dip method: The benefit is if you don't like it, you can peel it off, re-do it, or do something else. The stuff is quite good on adhering, actually.

Having said all that, I've always been a Rust-oleum fan, myself.

·
Banned
532 Posts
Great advice from the above posters.

If you like the look and it fits your colors, use a high gloss paint. You'd be surprised at how easy the brake dust comes off when either washing or using a soft brush.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts