Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Now this is a case where Hyundai dropped the ball. The vehicle is under warranty and if this is a defect and they said they were going to replace them then they should have been replaced. Refinishing rather than replacing IS acceptable. No manufacturer is required to replace a component if that component can be repaired. But again...If they agreed to replace them then they should have done so and the Dealer should have stuck up for you.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I wonder if the black wheels on the 2017 were actually the gray wheels from 2016 and 2015. The factory or wheel supplier may of sent them out to be repainted black, before shipping to the factory. I would be ok with the repainted wheels. The refinisher probably used an etching primer and a thicker clear coat than the oem did. Keep a check on them for chipping. They will probably be better than oem wheels.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Not only did they replace my wheels, they replaced both headlight assemblies because water was getting into them(which is also happening on new ones). How much is it to replace a headlight housing and complete HID setup? My total bill for 4 wheels and new headlights was probably in excess of $5k!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I wonder if the black wheels on the 2017 were actually the gray wheels from 2016 and 2015. The factory or wheel supplier may of sent them out to be repainted black, before shipping to the factory. I would be ok with the repainted wheels. The refinisher probably used an etching primer and a thicker clear coat than the oem did. Keep a check on them for chipping. They will probably be better than oem wheels.
Did they have 19" wheels in 2015-2016?

As long as the refinished wheels last, I will be ok.

·
Registered
17,553 Posts
This was Hyundai Motor that said the wheels cost too much to replace. The dealer sent them out to be refinished before I even heard back from Consumer Affairs. As a matter of fact, Hyundai Consumer Affairs said that the dealer never should've touched the wheels because it is against policy. When they offered me the Rewards dollars for compensation, I asked if that closes my case. They said no. I wanted to make sue if anything else happened, I wouldn't be up a creek.

Get it in writing

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife's 2018 Santa Fe is just 6 months old and the wheels (4) are all peeling. Definitely a factory defect that should be replaced with 4 brand new wheels! I'm making the call tomorrow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So i have the same model, year and tires and mine did the same thing about a year ago. Hyundai replaced the wheels back then and now today I noticed that these replacement wheels are now peeling like the other ones were. They initially told me when I got them replaced that I most likely just got a bad batch.....that doesnt seem to be the case now as these new ones are doing it again. UGGHHH guess ill be calling my dealer again to see what they will do now.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts