Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 17 sport ultimate, with the black wheels. All four wheels have spots where the paint is flaking off.

Ugh.

·
Registered
17,553 Posts
Speak with somebody in local Hyundai dealer service aisle of choice.. They may have to take pics and forward pics to Hyundai Motor before up and just ordering replacement wheels.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'd definitely make them replace the wheels if they look like that! Or, at the very least, have them eat the cost of separating the wheels and tires and having the wheels powder coated to at least an OE spec... if not better. Knowing them, they'd rather replace the wheels. lol!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Wow I was just about to post this and thought I'd be the only one. Same exact problem, same year, same wheels. Started with one but has spread to others now. The first wheel my dealer sent it out for resurfacing. Not perfect, but better than peeling. Almost has a look of orange peel in whatever they used to cover it. Now that I've spotted it on multiple wheels I'm going to ask for replacements. Not holding my breath though. On a side note the resurfacing was no charge but I did have to push a little.

·
Registered
274 Posts
You seem excited about the fact that it was no charge. You should expect nothing less.. It's a brand new car :)

Don't settle for anything less if you're not satisfied. You've sunk a lot of money into those wheels!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've had this problem in my old 2012, but discovered it was due to degreaser used in my car wash without rinsing.

Enviado de meu SM-N920G usando Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
That does not look like the typical chemical damaged wheels I normally see. Looks more like a factory issue, but images can be misleading.

Some manufacturers may require refinishing the wheel when that is possible. Some replace wheels. Sometimes it depends upon the type of wheel (Some GM wheels are designed in such a way that it would be labor intensive to refinish while others can be repaired easily). I do not know offhand how Hyundai handles this topic.

Do be careful with dedicated wheel cleaners that tout how well they remove brake dust, stains, etc... as some CAN harm wheel and that type of damage may not be covered at all or may be covered one time as a gesture of goodwill. I never use dedicated wheel cleaners for that very reason. If you really want to use them check your owner's manual to see what is suitable and what is not. You may be surprised at what you find.

Commercial car washes can damage wheels and even windshields. Several years ago we had a number of customers come in with windshields that appeared to me "melted" for lack of a better word where the wiper parks on the glass. GM actually had a bulletin out at that time about a chemical used in some commercial washes that if applied to heavily would "melt" the top surface of the glass at the wipers because the chemical sat there the longest.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Some car wash sites use a mild acid like muriatic acid in a very diluted form to clean the wheels. Some over the counter wheel cleaners use a mild form of acid to etch or clean the dirt off wheels. The amount of time this solution sets on the wheels can soften the clear coat on some wheels. I always try to buy a product that is safe for clear coated wheels. They do not clean as good as the type with stronger additives. You can use the mild cleaners and a wheel brush and a little extra time and get a good job without damaging the wheels. All of the wheel damage I have seen usually start in the tight corners close to the rim. This must be where the clear does not build up enough to protect the wheels. I had a Jeep dealer turn me down on wheel replacement because they said I used the wrong wheel cleaner. I also had the same problem on a Ford that I bought used. The Ford dealer replaced the wheels with no questions asked. I always bought the wheel cleaner from their parts department in the future, and kept my bill. That way I could prove I used the right product. I have a 2015 Santa Fe with the bright wheels and I have not had any problem with the coating on the wheels yet.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You seem excited about the fact that it was no charge. You should expect nothing less.. It's a brand new car :)

Don't settle for anything less if you're not satisfied. You've sunk a lot of money into those wheels!

I think the diffrence is expectation versus reality. I definitely expected the dealer to fix my problem at no charge. Especially given the car was only 6 months old at the time. The reality is that they were hesitant to do so until I pushed back.

I use soap and water to clean the wheels, and the car wash that I do go to does the same.

Same here. No wheel cleaners used. Just good old elbow grease. ;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Update on this if anyone is interested. My case got esclated to a regional rep from Hyndai and there were a lot of back and forth calls. Long story short, Hyundai said they were going to replace the wheels and would need to contact my local dealer. About a week later I got a call stating that they would not be replacing the wheels because they are $2800 for all 4. What they did instad was give me $1000 in Hyundai Rewards to use as I see fit. Not exactly what I wanted, but still better than nothing.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update on this if anyone is interested. My case got esclated to a regional rep from Hyndai and there were a lot of back and forth calls. Long story short, Hyundai said they were going to replace the wheels and would need to contact my local dealer. About a week later I got a call stating that they would not be replacing the wheels because they are $2800 for all 4. What they did instad was give me $1000 in Hyundai Rewards to use as I see fit. Not exactly what I wanted, but still better than nothing.

That’s too bad. They gave me 4 new ones in about 2 weeks from the initial complaint I made at the dealer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Really? Man that sucks for me. Great for you, but I really wish there was some consistency with how they handle problems.
Did you sign your life away on this? I would go back and say this is totally unacceptable. The only out they have on this is if they can prove that you, through your own negligence, caused damage to the wheels.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Did you sign your life away on this? I would go back and say this is totally unacceptable. The only out they have on this is if they can prove that you, through your own negligence, caused damage to the wheels.
Didn't sign anything. The dealer sent my wheels out to be refinished. They aren't perfect but they do look pretty good. Hyundai flat out said they won't replace the wheels because they are too expensive.

·
Registered
17,553 Posts
Is this from Hyundai Motor ??

Hyundai dealer will not up and replace wheels off the bat, Hyundai Motor could very well deny claim and dealer be out the cost of wheels and labor, and be sitting on a set of damaged wheels that they cant do anything with..

It will be up to dealer to take pics and submit to Hyundai Motor for authorization to replace wheels,, I think we at our place been there - done that,, or find out when DPSM be at dealer for him/her to look at wheels and make evaluation for wheel replacement..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Is this from Hyundai Motor ??

Hyundai dealer will not up and replace wheels off the bat, Hyundai Motor could very well deny claim and dealer be out the cost of wheels and labor, and be sitting on a set of damaged wheels that they cant do anything with..

It will be up to dealer to take pics and submit to Hyundai Motor for authorization to replace wheels,, I think we at our place been there - done that,, or find out when DPSM be at dealer for him/her to look at wheels and make evaluation for wheel replacement..
Agreed. Dealer is a bit of a hapless middleman in this situation.

Didn't sign anything. The dealer sent my wheels out to be refinished. They aren't perfect but they do look pretty good. Hyundai flat out said they won't replace the wheels because they are too expensive.
Considering how quickly this happened, I predict you'll be bringing those wheels back soon enough. May need a couple rounds of bitching before they decide this isn't worth it and just replace them. Don't stop being the squeaky wheel!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Wheels cost too much for them to replace. You should of told them that the vehicle cost too much to buy. I have been turned down on replacing wheels on my Jeep years ago. They new they had a problem with chrome flaking off the wheels when they flex. The wheels were a thousand dollar extra cost option on my 2002 Grand Cherokee. The service manager told me that they knew about the problem and was replacing wheels for the condition. They ordered my new wheels and sent me a card when they came in. I went to the dealer and a new service manager denied putting the wheels on. The factory had rejected the last two sets that were replaced. The dealer did not want to eat another set of wheels. He said that the flacking chrome did not affect the function of the wheels. I should of said that your black eye won't affect you driving home after work either. The next year they made the wheels with a plastic chrome wheel cover glued to the aluminum wheels. Cheap way to solve the problem. I really get tired of buying a new car and paying all of that money out, only to be told that they will slap some paint on them to get by.

·
Registered
98 Posts
This was Hyundai Motor that said the wheels cost too much to replace. The dealer sent them out to be refinished before I even heard back from Consumer Affairs. As a matter of fact, Hyundai Consumer Affairs said that the dealer never should've touched the wheels because it is against policy. When they offered me the Rewards dollars for compensation, I asked if that closes my case. They said no. I wanted to make sue if anything else happened, I wouldn't be up a creek.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts