Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a new Limited, and I found the wheel locks in the spare compartment. Must excuse this question as I have never used these before. How does one use these locks? Protocol for installation and use. Finally what happens if you lose the lock????? Thanks

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Most installations require the use of four wheel locks – one for each wheel, while the rest of the tire’s lug nuts can be of the conventional type.
Wheel locks must first be unlocked with a key before they can be removed, protecting the car’s assets from theft.
Most companies provide their wheel locks with a single set of keys, and it is highly recommended that another set be made and kept in a safe place, so that car owners are able to remove their wheels when they need to. Especially when traveling long distances or bringing the car in for service, it’s an excellent idea to keep a set of keys to the wheel locks in the glove box or in some other convenient place so that if a tire needs to be changed or removed, the job can be done easily.
Your wheel lock key comes with a number you use to order a new one if you loose it. Ask your dealer where they put that number if you don't have it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think the "standard" wheel locks that come are of the McGard type. The key on these is a "key" that matches the pattern on the lock that stays on the car. When I had these I used the code of the pattern to order spare "keys" directly from McGard. Kept 2 in the car and 1 in the house. 1 by the spare tire, oh wait, these cars don't come with a spare tire.
Another in the glove box. They should not be tightened too tightly, the other four keep the wheel on and the lock is just
to DETER theft. There are master keys out there, my dealer has one since he never touches my key and he has rotated the tires. This is on another car I own not the Elantra. On the Elantra I decided that I don't need wheel locks so I am NOT installing them. I was so happy when my GLS did NOT come with the wheel locks.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
I'm wondering who would steel those wheels? they are not expensive aluminum wheels and most Elantras have them. Maybe some guy who park is car too close to a walkway and scratch his mag or run over a huge pothole and need to replace one, steeling one on another Elantra would then be tempting for some.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
My wheel locks were already installed possibly from the factory. I saw the car shortly after the dealer took delivery, car unprepped and noticed the wheel locks. At that time the dealer didn't have the car key's as it was still being processed from delivery. Key with it's packaging was found in the spare tire compartment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts