Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I got a 2005 tuscon v6 4 wd auto with 220,000km on it . When you get over 20 km and get on the gas the front driver tire locks on and off and jerks the car , it is throwing no codes the wheel bearing , cv shaft and driveshaft all have no play and seem to spin straight , I am mechanically capable but my 4 wd knowledge is limited ..... in thinking transfer case issue ? Turning the traction control off does nothing and putting it in 4 wheel lock seems to make it a bit worse

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also the traction control light flashes while it’s doing this because it’s picking up that one wheel is not spinning the same speed as the others

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I have done a full diagnostic it only has an airbag code , what would it act like if the rear diff is not unlocking ? I was thinking this becuse in 4 wheel lock it will lock all 4 untill 40 km and then unlocks to save the transmission , but if it wasn’t unlocking would it cuas the wheel studder in the front ?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,298 Posts
If the rear diff was not unlocking you would think that would throw a code
I doubt it would because, AFAIK, there aren't any sensors to provide feedback to the control module to tell it if the diff is locked or not.

Have you tried driving with the ESC/ESP switched off to see if that makes any difference?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the rear diff was not unlocking you would think that would throw a code
I doubt it would because, AFAIK, there aren't any sensors to provide feedback to the control module to tell it if the diff is locked or not.

Have you tried driving with the ESC/ESP switched off to see if that makes any difference?
Yes I have driving with the ESC off makes no difference and driving with 4 wheel lock also makes little to no difference maybe a little bit worse with 4 wheel lock , do you think if the diff wasn’t unlocking it would caus the wheel studder ? Even if it only seems to be the front driver side

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the tuscon an open diff in the transfer case ? Meaning if I took the the drive axle out would it still drive or would it just try to spin the rear wheels ? I was thinking of taking that out and if it drives and doesn’t do that it’s the rear diff , if it still does it’s the transfer case ...... I was thinking it might work in the tuscon since it only puts power to the rear when the front is spinning , but that’s controlled by the rear diff isn’t it so maybe not

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,298 Posts
Sorry, I don't know the answers to your questions if I'm honest. I've never had to deal with any issues with the Tucson 4WD system, and I wouldn't get involved with the mechanical side of things. I don't like getting my hands dirty :smile:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya it’s a tough one to diagnose and I won’t just throw money at a problem with out knowing what’s wrong first , thank you for your help

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is the tuscon an open diff in the transfer case ? Meaning if I took the the drive axle out would it still drive or would it just try to spin the rear wheels ? I was thinking of taking that out and if it drives and doesn’t do that it’s the rear diff , if it still does it’s the transfer case ...... I was thinking it might work in the tuscon since it only puts power to the rear when the front is spinning , but that’s controlled by the rear diff isn’t it so maybe not

for a little work and time,I would pull front driveshaft just to see what happens..so you would have no power to front wheels .....if it still does it ...it may be a anti-lock brake issue,but it would show a code?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts