Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Noticed that both rear wheel hubs don't spin freely, they rub or grind.
2013 Elantra sedan gets about 10% worse MPG than a 2012 Elantra we traded in for it, two identical cars yet 2012 got much better MPG and now we notice a rubbing noise on the 2013.

2013 Elantra has 19000 miles but has always had reduced MPG, markedly worse than the identical 2012 we traded, but dealer could never find a problem with 2013.

Wonder if this rubbing on the wheel hubs is to blame for the lower MPG? I can't think it helps. Not sure if its the emergency brake, the power brakes, the wheel bearing or something else.

Is this rubbing noise normal?
Rubbing happens with the hub only or even with the wheel attached to the hub.

Anyone experience this?
Any fixes or suggestions?

Have scheduled appointment with dealer although they said maybe I drive with the brakes applied., aghhhhh.

Thank you all.

·
22,793 Posts
You already did the proactive thing by scheduling a visit to the dealer. His response to you during the conversation was unnecessary. He (probably a service writer) didn't even need to say that. Incredible. But since he did, this should raise a red flag for you to be cognizant while in the service department. It's probably a well run area, just the writer needs some tweaking.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Have scheduled appointment with dealer although they said maybe I drive with the brakes applied., aghhhhh.
Don't be so sensitive. There are plenty of drivers who ride the brakes without realizing or understanding what they are doing.

I was once on a test ride with a mechanic who rode the clutch. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Follow up.
Dealer said wheel hub rubbing noise was normal and could do nothing.
Also dealer could not find TSB relating to replacing front wheel brake pads on 2013 Elantra for brake noise even though I had the TSA # and date and info and date of manufacture was applicable. Frustrating that they always try to explain away any issue we have, makes us feel like we are stupid.

Rich, Thanks for the reply. I have followed you and appreciate the kindness that you readily display and knowledge you readily share to total strangers like me. In a cyber world thats not always the case and many anonymous posters aim to hurt. You impress me, if the Internet and world had more people who treated strangers as nice as you do it would be a much better place.

We installed the KYB rear shocks that were talked about here and will see how it improves the rear end hop. Thanks to all who shared their knowledge on that issue to benefit strangers.

Thank you all.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Thanks to all who shared their knowledge on that issue to benefit strangers.

Thank you all.
First of all my apologies. My reply may not make you feel better but it should help you understand.

The amount a hub rubs is impossible to know from a distance.

MPG issues are almost always how and where you drive if your car is running fine. There is a sticky thread all bout MPG, which might help.
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/231-m...-official-fuel-mileage-discussion-thread.html

Clueless dealers are very common but having a TSB that they can't find is a potential issue and others may be able to help. ???

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I had an issue with my rear brake calipers sticking on. Perhaps this applies to you. And it's clear the service advisor knows NOTHING about these cars because if he did, he would know that if you leave the brake applied with the throttle for more than three seconds, the computer automatically sends the throttle to 0%. You can thank Toyota's unintended acceleration floor mats for this even though the last Toyota I drove did not have the accelerator override. :rolleyes:

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/231-md-2011-elantra/191649-rear-brakes-sticking.html

·
22,793 Posts
Follow up.
Dealer said wheel hub rubbing noise was normal and could do nothing.
Also dealer could not find TSB relating to replacing front wheel brake pads on 2013 Elantra for brake noise even though I had the TSA # and date and info and date of manufacture was applicable. Frustrating that they always try to explain away any issue we have, makes us feel like we are stupid.

Rich, Thanks for the reply. I have followed you and appreciate the kindness that you readily display and knowledge you readily share to total strangers like me. In a cyber world thats not always the case and many anonymous posters aim to hurt. You impress me, if the Internet and world had more people who treated strangers as nice as you do it would be a much better place.

We installed the KYB rear shocks that were talked about here and will see how it improves the rear end hop. Thanks to all who shared their knowledge on that issue to benefit strangers.

Thank you all.
Thanks for the kind words, sir. There are those that will swear I have never met a stranger. And they may be right. Again, thanks. Glad you're enjoying the forum. Don't be a stranger.

One thought: Is this the ONLY dealer you have access to in your area of the world? My thoughts are that it might not be a bad idea to get a second opinion if you're in the neighborhood of one. You don't have to get your service work done where you bought the car. It's freedom of choice for warranty, parts, service. If you find one you like, you may want to stick with them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update
Took car to different local dealer but got same result, no help.
Hyundai service department experience is 1) assume customer is stupid and 2) use any and all excuses possible to get customer out the door, any problem customer has come up with an excuse to explain away the issue.
We laughhed at a new excuse today," it's normal to have to give gas for a elantra to go down a hill", and our other 2 cars that require brakes to slow down the cars on a downhill coast are the ones that are broken, the elantra is the normal one, yea right!
We don't need the frustration of dealing with Hyundai service departments, we will give the car to our daughter for a college grad gift and hopefully the service departments 500 miles way are better, she won't expect much and hopefully they can meet her low expectations.
We will not be buying any more Hyundai products.
Thanks to all
Best to everyone

1 - 8 of 8 Posts