Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 18 Limited black and I decided to go for the murder look. Ordered a nice set of 20" TSWs that came in today. Sat at the shop for two hours only for them to discover that they ordered the wrong wheel entirely. Thus 6 more days of waiting for them to arrive.

I'm considering canceling my order and just dipping the stock 18 limited wheels. Anyone done this before? I'm not a huge junkie when it comes to wheels, I'm mainly going for the murder/blackout look. Seems like I could save 3k by doing a good Dip job.

Thoughts? Flames? :) . Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
There have been a couple that have plasti dipped theirs already. I'm sure they will chime in.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There have been a couple that have plasti dipped theirs already. I'm sure they will chime in.
Cool, I'll try searching the forums again but the search feature is lacking a bit. I tried to do a Google Image Search and came up short.

·
Registered
245 Posts
If you don't care about the rim itself and just want them to be black then save the $3k and just dip them. If you don't like how it turns out you aren't out a ton of money.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PHP:
If you don't care about the rim itself and just want them to be black then save the $3k and just dip them. If you don't like how it turns out you aren't out a ton of money.
Yeah man, I could care less about the stock wheels. Found a local dipper with good reviews, 250$ out the door one day turnaround depending on weather.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
when dipping, each time you put on new tires, you'll probably need to re-dip unless you get a very careful shop to swap the tires.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when dipping, each time you put on new tires, you'll probably need to re-dip unless you get a very careful shop to swap the tires.
Thanks, and I'm aware. I dipped my GTR and had the same issue. There's a local shop that's really good with this, but either way with the dip being only $250 I'm not overly concerned as I only drive 5mi/day and doubt I'll need tires this year :)

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,601 Posts
$ 250 to dip the wheels when it is only $ 40 of product seems like a lot. Im not a big fan of dipping for long term I think it is a good way to get an idea of if you like the look. Then if you do get them powder coated or painted, DupliColor has very good auto paint products for the DIY. Their wheel paint is very durable and you wont be touching it up like Plasti Dip and its easy to use, you dont have to dismount the tires.

If you want to go the temp way AutoDip is a vinyl spray that is peel able like plastidip but much more durable

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a new 18 Limited black and I decided to go for the murder look. Ordered a nice set of 20" TSWs that came in today. Sat at the shop for two hours only for them to discover that they ordered the wrong wheel entirely. Thus 6 more days of waiting for them to arrive.

I'm considering canceling my order and just dipping the stock 18 limited wheels. Anyone done this before? I'm not a huge junkie when it comes to wheels, I'm mainly going for the murder/blackout look. Seems like I could save 3k by doing a good Dip job.

Thoughts? Flames? :) . Thanks in advance!
I think this is purely based on personal preference. I had my stock 18's coated and they looked ok, but just seemed like they were missing something (unfortunately I don't have pics cause my old phone died with the pics)

I ended up getting some 20's and they look way better. I think it will depend on any other work you may consider doing too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think this is purely based on personal preference. I had my stock 18's coated and they looked ok, but just seemed like they were missing something (unfortunately I don't have pics cause my old phone died with the pics)

I ended up getting some 20's and they look way better. I think it will depend on any other work you may consider doing too.
Makes sense. Actually the shop called me back and ended up offering a really good discount on the wheels + are working with me to do airride (bags). So we may have an interesting project to display soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You could get them powder coated for not a whole lot more money. It's always an option. Then again, 18" wheels vs 20". I'm hoping to order some 20's for my sport.

A bunch of questions here:
1. Is your vehicle AWD?
2. Which wheels did you decide to go with?
3. What were the dimensions of the wheels? 20x8.5? What was the offset?

Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You could get them powder coated for not a whole lot more money. It's always an option. Then again, 18" wheels vs 20". I'm hoping to order some 20's for my sport.

A bunch of questions here:
1. Is your vehicle AWD?
2. Which wheels did you decide to go with?
3. What were the dimensions of the wheels? 20x8.5? What was the offset?

Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated!
1.) No sir, FWD
2.) TSW Donnington
3.) 20x8.5 +40

We'll see if they fit tomorrow. After this, the car is going on bags likely unless I go for H/R or Vogtland springs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
int23, thanks for the info.

It looks like Hyundai uses the same wheels for the FWD and AWD. Your wheel size should work for me too. What size tire did you go with? Definitely report back if you get any rubbing.

Thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
1.) No sir, FWD
2.) TSW Donnington
3.) 20x8.5 +40

We'll see if they fit tomorrow. After this, the car is going on bags likely unless I go for H/R or Vogtland springs.
I do like the look of those wheels, just not sure how I would like that much offset. Mine are +35mm offset and stick out enough as it is lol.

I'm definitely interested on what you do for your suspension though as I want to upgrade mine asap. I get my car back tomorrow arvo from the workshop. I'm getting the plastic trim painted to match the body and a body kit installed

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts