Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips? I think my drivers side is shot. Making clucking and squealing noises if driven around town. Doesn't sound bad on the highway.

Looks like new OEM is around $330 or they sell a rebuild kit for $170. Don't think I want to go that route though.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Took a look today and it was the driver side wheel bearing shot. Looks like changing the axle would be easier. Getting the cotter keys out is the hardest part.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Snap ring plyers. Pound out the bearing. Cut the remainder bearing chissel crack then remove. Press new bearing in . Make sure the outter bearing is pressed on. Not the middle. Snap lock ring in and press hub into bearing. If I ever have to do one illl film it forsure. Scotty kilmer and eric the car guy got some generic installs. Basically what you see in those videos is kinda what is done on the hyundai with a press in type bearing..

What drives me nuts is my wifes husband has a ford explorer and I offered to do his tie rod, stabilizer, blower motor resister, and horn but he keeps paying big money to fix his vehicle. I have everything in my garage. I was hoping for some auto repair videos on orher vehicles.. oh well....

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Snap ring plyers. Pound out the bearing. Cut the remainder bearing chissel crack then remove. Press new bearing in . Make sure the outter bearing is pressed on. Not the middle. Snap lock ring in and press hub into bearing. If I ever have to do one illl film it forsure. Scotty kilmer and eric the car guy got some generic installs. Basically what you see in those videos is kinda what is done on the hyundai with a press in type bearing..

What drives me nuts is my wifes husband has a ford explorer and I offered to do his tie rod, stabilizer, blower motor resister, and horn but he keeps paying big money to fix his vehicle. I have everything in my garage. I was hoping for some auto repair videos on orher vehicles.. oh well....
I have the hub soaking in the PB. The snap ring pliers I have won't fit. Looks more like a screwdriver is needed. I got one end to move a bit. But that rung is stuck pretty good.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The hub comes off easy enough. The ball joint is bolted on so no big deal getting that off. The tie rod end popped loose with a couple wacks of the hammer. 32 mm for the axle nut. 17 mm for strut, tie rod end, ball joint bolts and caliper bracket, 14 mm for the caliper pins.

Yea the ball joint just bolts to the hub!!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I did manage to get the clip out. And I remembered I have a press. :) It's a Harbor Freight upside down hydraulic jack kind, seldom used.

So the old bearing needs to come out the back side of the hub right? I saw youtube video and I see I have to press out the splinted hub part first. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPs-QALECqs This is a ford but it's the same hub design as the Accent.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I think I would grab a baseball bat and smash it if I found another guy hooking up with my wife.

Comment did sound funny...thanks for pointing this typo out.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Took the hub abd bearing to Midas and they put me off. So I'm going to try it here with the press I have. The youtube shows a special two piece tool that has a threaded shaft and you crank down on that to pop out the hub first, then change pieces and push out the bearing. Most say pop out the hub, then the middle of the bearing and then hammer the outer race out.

I do have another place that is cheaper than Midas and they can do it as the are long time machine shop. Stupid Hyundai and the way the attach the brake dust shields to the hub. No way to remove them.

I see Hyundai has 4 special tools for the job.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The dealer want's $129 to R&R the bearing and hub. My Harbor Freight press was not even close to big enough for the job. :( I'll try the $43 machine shop next. Too bad they don't sell pre assembled hubs.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
You have the 12 ton harbour freight press? There is a video where a guy uses a wedge hammer and sledge to move the bearing just a tiny bit so he could press it out all the way. Then he puts the back lock ring in place and takes the new bearing out of the freezer. Adds some trany fluid for lube (suggestion by briansmobile youtube) and presses the new bearing in. Snaps the second lock ring then presses the hub back in. Looks pretty easy but the key is the wedge sledge hammer with a straight sledge hammer to unbind the bearing when the 12 ton press stops.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the hub out and that exploded the bearing. Now the inner bearing race is on the hub and the outer race is in the hub. I can get a jaws type bearing separator for the hub race but don't have anything big enough for the outer bearing race. Autozone has a bearing and race driver set for loan. But I don't know if it is the right size.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went to AutoZone and rented the race driver but they did not have a bearing separator. So on the way out of town I stopped at another long time shop. The popped the races off and put in the new bearing for $40.

This can be done at home I suppose but you need some special tools.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Looks like the harbour freight bearing adapter kit might work. They have a race removal tool as shown in the video. I would cut it off with my dremel and finish it with chisel. Maybe one day I might but a 20 ton press....tough to justifying 200 USA to only use for wheel bearings.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
This is one heck of a project you've taken on. Would love to see some pics posted up of the progress if you have any.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes I bet the dealer would want $300 to do the job if you drove the car in. The hub assembly was very easy to take off. As long as you have a 32mm socket for the axle nut. Just stay way from franchise auto repair places.

Looks like axle replacement would be easy too as it's just one step further after taking of the hub.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I'm glad to see you trying to fix your car. The first car I had was a buick and I got rapped at the mechanic. This time I learned everything from the manual and tips from others online. Decided to film some work done and I cannot believe how many flock to videos to learn this stuff. Money is tight for most these days. Next time I'm at harbour freight I might pick up the bearing adapter kit and that race seperator. Who knows.... Some call me a tool hore...lol

1 - 20 of 56 Posts