Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a set of wheel that I would like to purchase but it's 17x8 40 offset. I asked the seller and he told me that for the fender, the wheel will stick out 7 mm (0.3'') farther. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
279 Posts
The 17" limited factory rims that came on my car were an offset of 52, I bought 18" with an offset of 45 and they stick out just a little bit more, just flush with the fender.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is a set of wheel that I would like to purchase but it's 17x8 40 offset. I asked the seller and he told me that for the fender, the wheel will stick out 7 mm (0.3'') farther. What do you guys think?
According to Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com, they will stick out a little further than that. With 215/45/17, they should stick out about 12mm (half an inch) more than stock. Running 225/45/17 would set you at about 17mm more, a little more than half an inch. Those numbers seem a little too much to me. 7mm would have been fine, but going up to 12 - 17mm is kind of pushing it. Especially if you're lowered or plan on lowering. You'd need a little more positive offset to get those wheels to clear the fender. When shopping for an 8" wide wheel, you wanna find one that has about 45 to 50 positive offset.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
According to Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com, they will stick out a little further than that. With 215/45/17, they should stick out about 12mm (half an inch) more than stock. Running 225/45/17 would set you at about 17mm more, a little more than half an inch. Those numbers seem a little too much to me. 7mm would have been fine, but going up to 12 - 17mm is kind of pushing it. Especially if you're lowered or plan on lowering. You'd need a little more positive offset to get those wheels to clear the fender. When shopping for an 8" wide wheel, you wanna find one that has about 45 to 50 positive offset.
Thank you, Vnarine1! I would love to hear more from people here.

·
Banned
234 Posts
You should be fine. An 18x8 with a 45 offset sits in about 3-5 mm from the fender. Unless your slammed on coilovers the 17x8 with a 40 offset and the 215/45/17 tire will not be an issue at all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not really custom, but I did somthing rather challenging. I put Kia Soul Burner, 18" rims on my 2013 Elantra. The challenge was finding center caps that would fit, but not say Kia on them. I ended up using center caps from a 2012 Genesis coupe. The black paint, black wheel combination looks great. Hyundai should have done this combination, themselves.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts