Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm debating upgrading the wheels on my Santa Fe GLS from the stock 16-inch rims to 18-inchers. Since I'm going to be replacing the tires soon anyway, I thought maybe I'd use this as an excuse to upgrade the wheels, too.

The 18-inchers look better but how do they compare in ride quality, road noise, and handling? What do I gain or lose by upgrading?

Any advice appreciated!

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (Boxman @ Sep 21 2010, 06:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=357863
I'm debating upgrading the wheels on my Santa Fe GLS from the stock 16-inch rims to 18-inchers. Since I'm going to be replacing the tires soon anyway, I thought maybe I'd use this as an excuse to upgrade the wheels, too.

The 18-inchers look better but how do they compare in ride quality, road noise, and handling? What do I gain or lose by upgrading?

Any advice appreciated!
Conventional wisdom says that the 18", with less rubber in the sidewall, will handle better due to the lack of sideways compliance in cornering.

Conventional wisdom also says that the ride quality of the 16" will be better to at least some extent.

The 18" tires will cost you more money. Why, I don't know. You'd think less rubber = less expensive, but that's just not how it works.

Logic says that there should be less road noise in a 16" tire (a bit more buffer between the road and the rim), but it is likely such a small part of the cause of tire based road noise that it won't really factor in. Most of what you'll get in noise will be a function of the tire itself.

All of the above assume otherwise equal tires in 16" and 18" sizes. That said, there's often quite a difference in construction between two very similar sizes. For example, one tire I've been looking at is load rated 104 in a 235/60-18, and 109 (XL construction) in the 255/55-18. I wouldn't expect the handling nor the road noise to match. Go figure. Different specs for different manufacturer's requirements? It happens between otherwise identical appearing 16" and 18" tires, too.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
QUOTE (chosen1 @ Sep 22 2010, 06:00 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=357951
So why do people change from 16 to 18 ?
Pirelli envy. Mine is bigger than yours. Nothing more. :grin:

If you're looking for a better excuse, you could always tell yourself that you're doing it for the handling. But that is like saying you read Playboy for the articles. A Santa Fe is not a Genesis Coupe any more than Hugh Hefner is Tolstoy.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (Don67 @ Sep 22 2010, 04:32 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=357961

If you're looking for a better excuse, you could always tell yourself that you're doing it for the handling. But that is like saying you read Playboy for the articles. A Santa Fe is not a Genesis Coupe any more than Hugh Hefner is Tolstoy.
War and Piece?

·
Registered
20 Posts
QUOTE (Don67 @ Sep 22 2010, 08:32 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=357961

Good point.. and taken...

But definitely it is a lot of money just by the change in rim sizes alone...

·
Registered
398 Posts
When my wife and I started looking at SUV's we really tried to keep the tire size as low as possible. Unfortunately, most crossovers these day try to add as much bling as possible. The only CUV we found with smaller tires was the Escape. Unfortunately, the price wasn't right and we ended up with the Santy. Don't get me wrong, I like it. But **** this thing has a "busy" ride. The 18 inchers on my SE do not lend itself well to the roads in my area. I will say though that it handles better than a lot of cars I've driven. Seriously, it may not be a Genesis but **** it sure tries!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (Don67 @ Sep 22 2010, 06:32 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=357961

LOL

Good advice everyone; I think I'll just stick to my 16's...

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm in the same thought process as you, however I'm continuing my plan to buy 18" wheels/tires when my 16's run out.

Plain & Simple, The 16's with those bubbles for tires look aweful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Why oh why when people say that they want to lower the profile on their tires everyone says that if you do that it rides rough? I have a set of 20x8.5's with 275/45R20 Yokohama Avid Suv on my wifes 09 Santa Fe. I have not noticed a difference in ride or road noise from stock. I have noticed a big differnce in handling. Having an 8.5" wide wheel I wanted the tire to be as wide as possible without hitting or rubbing. With a standard 42mm offset everything worked great. I will admit that the tire is about .5 inch overall taller, but I always thought the Santa Fe's tires looked too small on them.
[attachment=20473:IMG_0334.JPG]

Attachments

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
What improvements have you made to the stock Santa Fe suspension to deal with all of that extra traction? 2" sway bars? :whistling:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.