Hyundai Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
It's not a performance chip at all. It's just a "voltage stabilizer", whatever that means. With all the things they claim it can do, I'm surprised it can't shine your shoes too.

But seriously though, to my knowledge (and I've looked for a couple years now) there are absolutely ZERO functioning performance chips/tunes for our cars, with the exception of Air/Fuel controllers that piggyback off the stock ECU. But you're looking at several hundred dollars for those, and even more money for someone to tune it for your car.

Also, reading the store's comments, you start to see who their client base is:
Better than Tornado Fuel Saver works on ALL Cars MPG (#160382999463)
...sigh.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is snake oil, you would be throwing money and time away. That video is a lot of mumbo jumbo words that don't really make sense put together.

edit:

lol, this video is HILARIOUS "This grounding kit case with basically about 5 grounding wires, today we used about 4"

this guy has to round on numbers like 4, and 5?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Those "universal" performance chips are simply a cheap resistor which will trick your ecu into thinking a few things. It will basicly make you run rich as the resistor will make the system think that you are running lean and/or the incoming temperature is lower than it is so it will spray more gas to compensate for the denser(sp?) air. totally crap.

·
Registered
709 Posts
This is an interesting thread. That device looks so close to the buddy club grounding kit it could considered patent infringement, and its immediately called "snake oil".

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
I don't understand why they'd choose such relatively small wire for grounding. That's basically stock. Why not go with 2 or 4 gauge?

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
But electricity follows the path of least resistance, right? So it doesn't matter if you have 80 grounding cables. It's not utilizing them unless they're of a lower resistance than the stock cables, right?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think if you used any larger gauge wire, it wouldn't increase or decrease the electricity flow, because the gauge it comes with distributes jast as much as the chip (or whatever you wanna call it) could give. But if you used smaller than it would decrease any power it's already distributing, because only so much wattage can go through a smaller space. It would be restricting it.

That's just my take on it.

·
Registered
709 Posts
The size of the grounding wire, functionally speaking, never needs to be larger than the main grounding wire to the battery. The most current travels across the main battery ground wire since it supports every electrical device in your car. As for the alternator, I believe it uses the engine block itsself as the ground. Someone can correct me if thats not the case with the accent.

Also, gauge of the wire does not determine if electricity will flow through it, it determines its max current carrying capacity. If you go above this threshhold you risk starting a fire, or melting the jacketing off the wire at least. Also note, the longer the wire, the lower the wire AWG has to be. Resistance goes up as the length of the wire increases which decreases the amount of current it can carry.

This ebay "power chip" seems like a misnomer. Its really a ground block for your engine bay. It will work to a degree, and the dirtier (electrically speaking) your engine grounds, the more of an improvement you will see.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.