Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wife and I bought a pair of 2015 Sonata Hybrids 3 years ago. Been great. Yesterday her starter battery quit. I pulled it out and went around for a new one. This being the basic hybid and not the Limited, the positive post is on the left side.

Autozone had a limited style where the positive post is on the right side but does not stock basic where its on the left. Same at Napa, O'Reilly and every place. We gave up and went to the dealer and as I expected, we got hosed for $320 and only a 2 yr warranty?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Should have done search here, somebody found proper battery at a part store

Text and profile dont call what yr Hybrid you own,, YF Sonata is YF Sonata for battery,, Hybrid use different style 12V battery

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thing is it has me spooked. I read up and just like hers, there is no warning and I might just replace mine for the heck of it

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
The model number for the battery contains a "R" for reversed terminals. AutoCraft Gold Battery, Group Size H6R, 600A CCA
And please be advised... that battery does not start the car, only runs the computer (need to start the car) and 12v accessories. The Gen/start thing with the belt and cooler starts the car. So you can jump it like any car, just from the trunk. From what most people are finding... they last 5+ years, of course heat and cold can kill them faster. They are some $125 since they are AGM batteries, they run a bit higher but last longer. You have to order them shipped to the store.

Read your manual as when you pull the battery, you have to reset windows, sunroof and other things.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Carquest will possibly have it same day. Just call your local Carquest they will have it delivered there usually same day if you can call them in the morning. I just replaced mine after 5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Good information. Well appreciated.

We wasted a perfectly good saturday over this. Early yesterday the plan was take it out, get another one, install, check and get out of town by 9am. It was about 3 pm when we finished with all the screwing around, got back home and installed it. :grin2:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Something I hadn't thought of is we bought these cars 3 years ago in April & June 2015. Cars were actually built in June 2014. If these batteries were installed at that time. This puts them close to 4 years old.

I did find them at our local Carquest. Advanced Auto for around $160 and will replace mine shortly just for aggravation.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Something I hadn't thought of is we bought these cars 3 years ago in April & June 2015. Cars were actually built in June 2014. If these batteries were installed at that time. This puts them close to 4 years old.

I did find them at our local Carquest. Advanced Auto for around $160 and will replace mine shortly just for aggravation.

Battery installed to chassis - see production date at door post label

Add --> how long before chassis build was battery made by vendor, loaded up and ship to Hyundai,, time in storage before making to production line for install

·
Registered
559 Posts
Yup. I bought mine in March 2016 but know it was built in Sept. 2015. I would suspect they are stored and shipped with that battery disconnected but perhaps not. I know that's not true once it gets to the dealer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was talking with the Carquest guy the other day and the way I understood it is the era of the 4,5,6 year battery is all but over. Skipping all the proration and basic replacement only of 2-3 yrs. He did say they are the same batteries but only given a 2-3 years warranty (as I understood it) and why they're so **** expensive these days.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Wife and I bought a pair of 2015 Sonata Hybrids 3 years ago. Been great. Yesterday her starter battery quit. I pulled it out and went around for a new one. This being the basic hybid and not the Limited, the positive post is on the left side.

Autozone had a limited style where the positive post is on the right side but does not stock basic where its on the left. Same at Napa, O'Reilly and every place. We gave up and went to the dealer and as I expected, we got hosed for $320 and only a 2 yr warranty?
Should have posted before you bought.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
My 2011's OEM battery was 77 months old when I replaced it and it was still working fine at the time. I believe the trunk mounting of it helps it to last longer than if it were mounted under the hood. I paid less than $130 for it and I think it was a good time to replace it.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
my 2011's oem battery was 77 months old when i replaced it and it was still working fine at the time. I believe the trunk mounting of it helps it to last longer than if it were mounted under the hood.

that makes no difference to it's longevity. It's in the rear to keep it away from engine wiring where the h2so4 fumes (sulfuric acid) create problems.

I paid less than $130 for it and i think it was a good time to replace it.
hth

·
Registered
317 Posts
The location of the battery and its environmental location absolutely affects the longevity of the battery. Engine compartment temps can exceed 200 degrees F in the summer heat. This will definitely shorten the life of the battery. Why do you think OEM's often put a thin insulation heat shield wrap around the battery?

All things being equal, the location of the HSH battery in the trunk should lengthen its usable lifespan.

From AAA auto care tips: 1. Heat Can Zap the Life from Batteries

Most drivers think battery problems occur primarily in winter, but summer heat can negatively impact your car’s battery even more than the bitter cold of winter. Heat and vibration are a battery’s two worst enemies leading to internal breakdown and eventual failure. While drivers cannot do much about the heat, they can make sure their battery is securely mounted in place to minimize vibration.

Another potential summer problem is faster evaporation of the battery fluid, leading to corrosion on terminals and connections. Clean any corrosive build up from the battery terminals and cable clamps, and ensure the clamps are tight enough that they will not move.

If a car’s battery is more than three years old, it’s a good idea to have it tested by a trained technician to determine how much longer it will last. This test can be performed at any AAA Approved Auto Repair facility, or AAA members can request a AAA Mobile Battery Service technician come to them and test their battery free of charge. Should the battery need replacement, the technician can usually replace it on location. For more information on the AAA Mobile Battery Service visit AAA.com/Battery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I went to CARQUEST/Advanced Auto today to pick up a battery for my car. When my wife's quit and the aggravation that followed, I don't want to deal with it dying anywhere, anytime without warning. Plus paying $180 was better than $320 for hers. Thanks again for everyone who helped

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
There's an old saying about lead-acid batteries: "Heat kills 'em and cold buries 'em"
Battery performance is weaker when cold, but heat accelerates the actual damage/decay.

Reactions: JKK
1 - 17 of 17 Posts