Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's published as 14 gallons but I'm thinking more like 12. I had 28 miles until empty and was only able to pump 11.15 gallons. This tank was 35.6 mpg.

Anyone pump more than 12 gallons into their Sport?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
176 Posts
If it's like my 2007 Elantra and my 2018 Elantra. Which both had/have 14 gallon tanks. I've needed to fill it all the way up to where you put gas in to get to 14 gallons.

·
Registered
982 Posts

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Only way to know is to run it dry and fill it up (not recommended).

Most estimate up to 2 gallons once you hit 0 miles to go. So sounds about right.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Most estimate up to 2 gallons once you hit 0 miles to go. So sounds about right.

I've never seen that mentioned anywhere. Do you have a Sport?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts

Fuel tank assembly part number is the same for the entire AD Elantra platform - part number 31150-F3500...so if others claim their SE/Limited/Sport model fills up with 14 gallons, it should be the same capacity for all models.

Just a thought....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fuel tank assembly part number is the same for the entire AD Elantra platform - part number 31150-F3500...so if others claim their SE/Limited/Sport model fills up with 14 gallons, it should be the same capacity for all models.

Just a thought....

Interesting. I wonder why the capacity seems low with mine. I'll have to take a look and see if I can verify my tank part number.

I stop pumping once the pump clicks off and never top up. Same as I do for all the cars I've ever owned.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Total volume and usable capacity are very different things.

Just drive it until 1/4 full then refill. Don't run it dry. Don't top up once it clicks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This was the level when it took only 11 gallons.

It did completely fill.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Is a thermistor at the end of the fuel sender that depends on gasoline to keep it cool. When the tank drops down to 2 gallons, will see a red light on the fuel gauge that means you have two gallons left.

If that red light is off, you have more than two gallons left.

To make fuel pumps cheaper, stick them in the fuel tank to dissipate the heat, typical pump dissipates about 60 watts, where an SUV would be in the 120 watt range. Because of this, I threat a quarter full tank of fuel as an empty tank, fuel pumps lasts a lot longer.

Our pumps have an EPA required rubber cup on the nozzle, says to seat that on the filler tube, if you do this, the pump will kick off right when you turn it on. So only stick the nozzle in about 2".

Gathering whoever came up with that rubber seal doesn't know a darn thing about vehicles.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Just like the Chevy Cruze. When they produced the Eco model, they used the same tank, but, modified the fuel pump to make it stop early. So, it closed off the air intake while you were filling up with gas.
And it would make the gas station pump click off. If you had the time, you could stand there and fill the darn thing, to max, but, you would be there around 30 minutes.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I looked on fuelly.com and there are some Sports that have filled over 12 gallons.

I'll have to see if I can fill up a bit more than when the pump clicks off even though the first click shows full on my gauge.

·
Registered
176 Posts
...which you should never do. Best advice is to pump until it clicks off on most gas pumps, or maybe one more pump, but you should never "top it off." https://www.freep.com/story/life/2015/06/28/dont-top-off-gas-tank-environment/29269833/
YEs they say that, but in over one million miles of driving over the last 36 years, I have never run into any issues filling it to the top.

I've been keeping my cars for 150K to 185K miles and I have never had a fuel pump issue or any problem with the fuel tank or lines etc..

With both my 2007 Elantra and 2018 Elantra I could/can easily put in more than a gallon of gas after the pump clicks off.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Just like the Chevy Cruze. When they produced the Eco model, they used the same tank, but, modified the fuel pump to make it stop early. So, it closed off the air intake while you were filling up with gas.
And it would make the gas station pump click off. If you had the time, you could stand there and fill the darn thing, to max, but, you would be there around 30 minutes.

Crazy idea with the Eco, gas weighs 6 pounds per gallon, saving 12 pounds, also had shutters that closed to restrict airflow, been doing this since the 60's. Maximum fan load is less than a 1/3 HP and need most in city driving. At highway speeds worthless due to the wind milling effect. 65 Buick had fluid coupled fan that leaked causing engine over heating problem, was able to replace that fluid thing with a fixed fan.

Also if you wanted to have a spare tire with the Eco, had to purchased an AT, what does an AT have to do with a spare tire. In 2012 the 2LT was introduced with all the goodies and would get a spare tire with an MT. Ha, when I burnt two gallons, awfully close to an Eco. EPA rating for the Eco was only 2 mpg than the 2LT.

39 mpg was honest with the Cruze, lied about the Limited, more lile 50 mpg, so even with a 14 gallon tank, Cruze had a 16, range of the Elantra was longer.

Eco is short for ecologist, ones I met were not very bright, so never liked that Eco name.

·
Registered
126 Posts
YEs they say that, but in over one million miles of driving over the last 36 years, I have never run into any issues filling it to the top.

I've been keeping my cars for 150K to 185K miles and I have never had a fuel pump issue or any problem with the fuel tank or lines etc..

With both my 2007 Elantra and 2018 Elantra I could/can easily put in more than a gallon of gas after the pump clicks off.
This is a good way to get fuel into your evap canister and damaging it. Topping off is not recommended

·
Registered
982 Posts

The problem would not be with the fuel pump or tank or lines, it would be with the evaporator and the charcoal canister. Also, in addition to the issues, one of the problems is that today's fuel pumps will suck gas back into the pump if you pump more than what the vehicle can hold. So you could be paying for more gas than you are getting.

Sounds like you have been lucky. Continued best of luck to you! :)

Reactions: Tooch2422

·
Registered
786 Posts
Engineers leave a few extra gallons after the meter hits E because they want to reduce the number of people who get left stranded somewhere. There are too many people who love living close to the edge (they do the same thing with the battery life on their phones, phone's don't need bigger batteries - they just need smarter users).

·
Registered
176 Posts
Engineers leave a few extra gallons after the meter hits E because they want to reduce the number of people who get left stranded somewhere. There are too many people who love living close to the edge (they do the same thing with the battery life on their phones, phone's don't need bigger batteries - they just need smarter users).
I've never driven a car that had a few extra gallons after hitting E. And then when the fuel light comes on, before even getting to E, there have always been under two gallons in the tank. And this is from filling the tank to the top. To more accurately know how much gas was used.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Stopped at one gas station, automatic shut off was not working, spilled about three gallons of gas on the floor, told the attendant about this, said they were having this problem. How come you didn't put up a warning sign?

Would not give me a refund, handled this with my credit card, but did clean up the gas.

If you just put the tip of the nozzle into the filler, you can close that handle and spill gas all over the place, won't see the back pressure when full to automatically cut it off.

10.5 US gallons sounds right for where you fuel gauge is at, red light is off, so you had more than 2 gallons in your tank before filling.

Looks more like 3.5, 14.minus 3.5 equals 10.5 galllons.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Stopped at one gas station, automatic shut off was not working, spilled about three gallons of gas on the floor, told the attendant about this, said they were having this problem. How come you didn't put up a warning sign?

Would not give me a refund, handled this with my credit card, but did clean up the gas.

If you just put the tip of the nozzle into the filler, you can close that handle and spill gas all over the place, won't see the back pressure when full to automatically cut it off.

10.5 US gallons sounds right for where you fuel gauge is at, red light is off, so you had more than 2 gallons in your tank before filling.

Looks more like 3.5, 14.minus 3.5 equals 10.5 galllons.
Look again, the low fuel light was on and it took a little over 11 gallons.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts