Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past year I've had the front end squeaks and crunching from my 06 Sonata LX with 97k miles. It started with just going over bumps, then progressed to basically any movement of the body up and down. It's worse in the cold, but an issue all year.

I just did shocks and struts all around, with the mounts. Didn't affect the sounds at all. At 97k, the original shocks/struts were woefully dead. At least the car rides 10x better now.

Yesterday I changed out the sway bar end links with Moog K80949's. It does sound like some of the "crunching" is gone, and now we're back to just squeaking. I think even some of the constant squeaking over fairly normal roads is gone.

So, what's up next? The FSM suggest the lower control arm, which I'd prefer not to do. Sway bar bushings could be an option, but they looked kind of like a PITA to get to. Looking for ideas, so I don't keep pouring money into the problem and not getting results.

Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Lower control arms? I changed the mounts, shocks, struts, sway bar end links and the lower control arms... finally quiet. (06) with 122K.

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ugh, I don't really feel like doing or paying for the lower control arm. Do you now which brand you went with? Rock Auto has Raybestos, Moog, Beck/Arnley and Auto 7. Auto 7 is nearly 2x as much, would need a really good reason to go with it.

Still open to other ideas too.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Auto7 is OEM Korean parts ; guaranteed fit and usually better quality.
But .... you are replacing premature failed parts IMO so I would understand you scepticism.

Chepo suspension parts are not mutually exclusive to Hyundai if you do some checking. Their failure normally doesn't leave you at side of road; therefore perceived good cost saving opportunity by the automotive cost cutters.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I had similar sound...turns out to be brake shield is so rusted ..chucks of metal touching the rotor..

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Auto7 is OEM Korean parts ; guaranteed fit and usually better quality.
But .... you are replacing premature failed parts IMO so I would understand you scepticism.

Chepo suspension parts are not mutually exclusive to Hyundai if you do some checking. Their failure normally doesn't leave you at side of road; therefore perceived good cost saving opportunity by the automotive cost cutters.
I'm really starting to lose faith in the Hyundai build quality. I've had mine since 08, and have put 60k on it. I thought they turned things around with the 06 Sonata's and building them in the US. I've had a multitude of problems since around 85k miles, and a few before that (2-3 ABS sensors, engine/tranny lurching, failed seat buckle). Obviously the shocks/struts being replaced is part of regular maintenance, but brake rotors warping for the 2nd time, droopy sun visors, 2x power door locks that stopped working, and now this **** incessant squeaking that seems to be tied to multiple parts. I wanted to hold on to this for a while longer as my daily driver so I can play around with my Z, but there's no point if I'm having to dump time and money into it as well...

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 2006 has had a horrible sqeaking sound since about 65K miles, it now has 100K and my wife hates driving it. I changed the struts based on the dealership's mechanic's advice to no avail, the squeaking now happens everytime you move off of a smooth surface, even a crack will make it squeak. Sounds like wet rubber flip flops on a hard floor.

So I'm trying this in about 1/2 hour:

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/181-n...rol-arm-replacement-write-up-2006-sonata.html

I got the Beck Arnley Uppoer Control Arms ready to go. Will let you know if it solves my problem. I did get a video with audio of the infernal sound, in case it doesn't go away and I need to keep spending more money and time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ugh, I don't really feel like doing or paying for the lower control arm. Do you now which brand you went with? Rock Auto has Raybestos, Moog, Beck/Arnley and Auto 7. Auto 7 is nearly 2x as much, would need a really good reason to go with it.

Still open to other ideas too.
I used RockAuto and got the Auto 7, pricey, but worth it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
i have same problem it happens whenever i get bumps it started when i reached 102k miles.
this problem looks to be common. as it happened to you as well .
same problem makes more squeeze noice while it's cold out. and only happens whenever i hit bumps.

tho it only happens on driver side on my car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i have same problem it happens whenever i get bumps it started when i reached 102k miles.
this problem looks to be common. as it happened to you as well .
same problem makes more squeeze noice while it's cold out. and only happens whenever i hit bumps.

tho it only happens on driver side on my car.
PGX: If you are going to change the UCAs, change both, not just one side.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts