Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so today my wifey and I were talking about this and didnt have an answer:

what's better for better mpg?
windows fully down while on freeway
windows half down
windows up fan on
windows up ac on (69)
windows up ac on (74)

has anyone done some testing on this or have any real life experience with what is better?

please post :)

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
so today my wifey and I were talking about this and didnt have an answer:

what's better for better mpg?
windows fully down while on freeway
windows half down
windows up fan on
windows up ac on (69)
windows up ac on (74)

has anyone done some testing on this or have any real life experience with what is better?

please post :)
Wayne recommends windows down below 40 mph and 1" down on drivers and R rear for better mpg on the highway. I keep A/C on 74 Auto with Eco on. I have sat in my car for 20 minutes with the A/C at 78 when it was 92 and felt comfortable.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Wayne recommends windows down below 40 mph and 1" down on drivers and R rear for better mpg on the highway. I keep A/C on 74 Auto with Eco on. I have sat in my car for 20 minutes with the A/C at 78 when it was 92 and felt comfortable.
I generally use the 1 inch rule if it isn't too hot, raining or I'm on the phone. It helps MPG by not using the battery as much.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
interesting but makes sense. here is something else to add.
what do you guys think about the window wind deflectors they sell? i noticed on my other car it makes a difference reducing noise and when its raining, i can put the window down an inch with no water coming in.
What about mpg improvements?

·
Registered
198 Posts
It would depend on how much you roll down your windows with the deflectors: if you roll all the way, they wouldn't do a thing. I'm sure that they would, in theory, help MPG, however, realize that there are a myriad of things that are equally/more important than having a deflector in what you get MPG-wise. If I were you, I would first, make sure you adapt your driving style to a Florida-state grandma, then secondly, just enjoy your car. What's the point in having a fuel-efficient car if you sweat bullets every time you drive it? You might as well ride a road bike (which I love doing in cooler T's).

Personally, I use AC if it's too hot (which it gets everyday in the summer). My daily driving goes like this: no AC and no windows down on my morning commute because I don't need them, it's perfect T. On my way home, AC. Even with using AC, my tank avg is currently at about 52 MPG. I feel that this is a very good number while still enjoying AC. Who can argue with getting +14 MPG over what the car was rated for?

·
Registered
660 Posts
I seldom ever roll my windows down. Too hot and too muggy down here so as soon as I start the car it's AC on unless the windows are fogged up and then it's defrost until I can see! I'm still getting 37+mpg. It's more important for me to be comfortable!!

Chuck

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I never drive with the windows rolled down. I don't like the noise in the cabin when the windows are open. I always use the auto setting and keep it around 68-70 degrees or so. Comfort and quiet are what I enjoy the most in the hybrid.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I never drive with the windows rolled down. I don't like the noise in the cabin when the windows are open. I always use the auto setting and keep it around 68-70 degrees or so. Comfort and quiet are what I enjoy the most in the hybrid.
I'm with you Vinny but I'm comfortable at 74 and keep the sun roof closed as it's too noisy oh the highway. Also you can keep the dash a lot cleaner by not letting in a lot of extra dust.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts