Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been awhile, but wasn't there supposed to be a recall to fix the trunk on the Sonata that only pops up about two inches now? I got a letter about the possibility of the engine blowing up recently, but I never also saw a follow up on this deal? With the pandemic in full swing, I hestitate to take the car in for anything, since I've never gotten in and out of the dealership in less than three hours. And, masks or not, I'm not going to sit inside.

So, any updates on this stuff? And how long it should take to do? I'd request they leave my windows open during the entire process as well and not to wipe it down with clorox bleach wipes ...

How long can I wait? Do these expire? What's the deal on getting them fixed "in time?"

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, interesting since I went thru all the hoops and never heard anything. When I "just simply" put in the Vin number, .... now class, let's not see the same hands.... yes, correct. VIN not found. "You can put it in over and over and it will say 'VIN not found.'" Please continue to just do this. This is all you get. Thank you. We value you as a customer.

PS I don't have a claim for money or for payment or for having paid anything. I just want the trunk fixed so it pops up again.

·
Registered
795 Posts
If it opens less than 7 1/2" then you possibly have a claim, if greater than 7 1/2" don't bother. You can click the "Contact Us" link, or contact the dealer.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Oh, the trials and tribulations. Why, I remember when clicking that button just released the latch, nothing more. The lid didn't move. We had to manually lift it, by hand, the entire height. Whew. And talk about a chore, there was a time when there wasn't a button. We had to take a key, this funny metal thing with jaggedy zig-zag cuts along its length, the one with the round head not the square head, and put it into this thing called a keyhole, turn it, and only then would the trunk unlock and open, still with all that manual labor lifting it. And to add insult to injury, that was after having to walk to the car, in the snow, uphill, both directions. WHEW.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it opens less than 7 1/2" then you possibly have a claim, if greater than 7 1/2" don't bother. You can click the "Contact Us" link, or contact the dealer.
Last year, before COVID-19, I called and it was still opening about two inches. The dealership told me they’d start doing the repairs in late January. It now opens about an inch. When I do curbside pickup I get out of the car and open it because often the store deliverer can’t tell the trunk is up.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PS and we have a Used Ford Escape that replaced a 17 yo Outback. Wasn’t looking for an automatic rear lift. It has become a welcome surprise when we go to get our curbside pickup. Yes, whew. The good ole days of no garage, parking on the street, snow and ice, getting a car stolen off the street. Awesome.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
You paid for it, Hyundai sold it as a feature - it should work. Good idea when arms are full of grocery bags, etc.

This is about holding engineering to account.
Yes, I agree things should work the way they are supposed to work. I just wanted to add some levity that at least more "seasoned" members would get and perhaps appreciate.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Yes, I agree things should work the way they are supposed to work. I just wanted to add some levity that at least more "seasoned" members would get and perhaps appreciate.
I agree, as one who grew up in the 50s+ we get used to conveniences we never would consider back then. But how we struggled through I don't know.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
My 2 year old G80 is doing the same! Now it only opens about 1 inch. I will discuss it on my next oil change.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts