Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I'm interested in purchasing a Phantom Black SE with Nav, and I know them bad boys don't come with Infinity, so what would you rate the Dimension Audio System?

Now I'm not sure when upgrading to the nav package in the SE if you get a different Dimension Audio, unlike the GLS modes.

1-10

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've had the Limited (with Dimension) for 5 months now, and I have to rate it a 9 out of 10.

At first I wasn't sure, perhaps a bit disappointed. Then I realized that the XM sound quality in our area wasn't that great and neither were my local FM stations.

THEN -- I discovered using my USB thumb drive with mp3 music and wow, it sounds GREAT. I use the Dynamic equalizer setting, faded a tad to the rear. I hear great sound separation across frequencies with crisp highs and booming bass.

I am very pleased with it and use my USB constantly.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah in any car once you put on a cd or USB it's a whole new world with audio clarity. That's awesome guys.

·
Registered
28 Posts
QUOTE (arruda89 @ Aug 20 2010, 10:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350822
Yeah in any car once you put on a cd or USB it's a whole new world with audio clarity. That's awesome guys.
Yes, of course. The point I was trying to make is that with a good quality "input source", I think the Dimension system really performs well. Much better than what I've had in previous vehicles, certainly, with similar inputs.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I haven't tinkered much with the Dimension audio system in my 2011 Sonata. I've only had 4 cars that came with upgraded/premium audio system. I think the Dimension audio system ranks right up there with them as far as factory audio systems. The slight edge I would have to give to the Shaker 500 in my Mustang, as it has slightly more thump and keeps my audio settings (i.e. random folder, random all, repeat folder, INFO display ON) something that the Dimension audio system doesn't do and seems to reset every time the car is turned off.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've got to say, that in my Canadian version with the Dimension sound system, I am pretty dissapointed with the sound quality, especially the base. The Bose sound system in my older Altima is much better. There is no way to adjust the sound, just the fader so I'm not entirely happy with the overall sound quality. I thought I was paying for an upgraded system, but I'm not sure what I got more than anyone else.

6 out of 10...

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'd say it sounds very good overall, especially as everyone else has said, with using a USB or CD or IPod.
If you have the Dimension with the HD radio, you definitely do get a better sound from the FM stations that carry a digital signal. There is a big difference once is recognizes the digital and kicks over into the other circuitry.

I have a few songs where the bass is almost too much, it sort of resonates.

One thing I would like to see if separate bass and treble (equalizer) controls for the radio and other inputs. The settings you have for the USB are not usually the best for the radio and visa versa. Maybe some type of firmware upgrade could change that.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Sound is pretty good. It might take you some time to adjust to the speaker positions. The USB and Ipod sound is above the rest.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
QUOTE (grcguy @ Aug 22 2010, 06:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351171
I've got to say, that in my Canadian version with the Dimension sound system, I am pretty dissapointed with the sound quality, especially the base. The Bose sound system in my older Altima is much better. There is no way to adjust the sound, just the fader so I'm not entirely happy with the overall sound quality. I thought I was paying for an upgraded system, but I'm not sure what I got more than anyone else.

6 out of 10...
Actually you can adjust sound through the sound option. I'll have to look at mine but it's got like 3 preset settings from the factory and then manual adjustment for Bass, treble and something else. Also a Canadian Sonota but I have Navigation. So not sure if the options are only there for Nav or not. Doesn't make sense that any car radio has no adjustment at all.

Overall I would rank it as the best stock sound system I've heard, not including upgraded units like Infinity, Bose, etc.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I could probably look this up, but I'm being lazy. Is the speaker in the center behind the seats the sub? I looked at an SE a couple weeks ago and saw the bottom of the speaker hanging down when I opened the trunk. It looked like an 8" speaker, but I've not seen a sub that was not inside a sealed enclosure and usually located under a seat. Please enlighten me. Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
QUOTE (matt317 @ Aug 24 2010, 12:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351632
I could probably look this up, but I'm being lazy. Is the speaker in the center behind the seats the sub? I looked at an SE a couple weeks ago and saw the bottom of the speaker hanging down when I opened the trunk. It looked like an 8" speaker, but I've not seen a sub that was not inside a sealed enclosure and usually located under a seat. Please enlighten me. Thanks.
Yes, the speaker on the rear deck is a sub. I haven't looked at the bottom of it to see what enclosure there is, if any. The sub adds bass resonance, but lacks some punch.

Overall, I think the sound quality is excellent (for Aux/Ipod/USB/CD) when compared to other upgraded factory stereos I've had (VW Monsoon, Mazda Bose). The only issue I have with the sound quality apart from the aforementioned lack of sub-punch, is that if music contains really low bass frequencies, my doors rattle, even at low-moderate volumes while turning the bass down.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think it sounds great! But it does depend a lot on the station. I good station to test it on is Sirius XM's Cinemagic (76) since this music is usually recorded in high quality. Some of the stations that play older music from the 70s and earlier don't sound so great probably because of the recording technology of the time, not because of the Dimension system.

·
Registered
142 Posts
QUOTE (cdwarrior @ Aug 24 2010, 11:59 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351663
Some of the stations that play older music from the 70s and earlier don't sound so great probably because of the recording technology of the time, not because of the Dimension system
You're 100% correct. The quality of the sound on this system has alot to do with how the music was recorded and mixed.

·
Registered
98 Posts
QUOTE (Souks @ Aug 24 2010, 11:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351619
Actually you can adjust sound through the sound option. I'll have to look at mine but it's got like 3 preset settings from the factory and then manual adjustment for Bass, treble and something else. Also a Canadian Sonota but I have Navigation. So not sure if the options are only there for Nav or not. Doesn't make sense that any car radio has no adjustment at all.

Overall I would rank it as the best stock sound system I've heard, not including upgraded units like Infinity, Bose, etc.
I do know that there are settings for bass and treble, but I thought that there was supposed to be individual settings like an equalizer and "concert" sound, but I think that this is only in the US version with the Infinity sound system.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
QUOTE (grcguy @ Aug 24 2010, 05:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351741
I do know that there are settings for bass and treble, but I thought that there was supposed to be individual settings like an equalizer and "concert" sound, but I think that this is only in the US version with the Infinity sound system.
Gotcha, yeah I got the custom equalization settings on my Dimension system but I have the Nav version. Looks like the non-nav only gets Bass, Treble and Mid adjustment like you mentioned.

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (wozzy @ Aug 24 2010, 06:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351739
You're 100% correct. The quality of the sound on this system has alot to do with how the music was recorded and mixed.
Does anyone on this board like the band "Dream Theater"? Im a huge fan and often use their music as a benchmark for testing new audio systems.

My favorite album by them is Awake and even though its an older album, the recording quality is still very high. It has all sorts of highs and lows that can really show a good system as its best, but also bring out the weaknesses in a lackluster system.

If youve never heard of Dream Theater, they are like an amalgum of classic rock bands Deep Purple, Rush, Kansas, Genesis, and Pink Floyd combined with an Iron Maiden and Metallica edginess. As I already said, Awake is my favorite album by then, but other favorites are Images and Words, Scenes from a Memory, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, and Octavarium.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Hey Mike -

You might also like Dredg.

Edit to add link to Dredg video Same Ol' Road

:gitara:

·
Registered
24 Posts
QUOTE (JohnWho @ Aug 25 2010, 05:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351937
Hey Mike -

You might also like Dredg.

Edit to add link to Dredg video Same Ol' Road

:gitara:

Thanks for that Dredg.....have not heard of them but really got into that video. Always love hearing new music (to me) like this from the prog end of the music spectrum....reminds me of when I first discovered Porcupine Tree several years ago.

:beer:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts