Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to jump up to 16's or maybe 17's from the 14 inch steels I have on it currently. Was wondering what you guys were running on and how they performed. Also including pics would be awesome.

Thanks,
Drew

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm running 16" Momo Next rims with General Tire G-Max AS-03 195/50ZR16 84W tires. They're naturally matte anthracite with a machined aluminum face, but I have them Plasti Dip'd matte black. I have pics in my garage linked over there <--.

They're nice rims that aren't too expensive, but they're on the heavy side. I like the double 7 spokes. The tires are nice and grippy, with great wet/dry performance, and they're ok in the snow too. A big step up from the crappy stock 14's. The handling is better, and the ride is still acceptable. Fuel economy hasn't noticeably suffered. Being lower profile, they are more prone to damage however. I hit some big chunks of ice on the road a couple weeks ago that gave my front passenger tire some big air bubbles in the sidewall, so I had to replace it.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
You need to decide a bit what you are comfortable with in terms of ride/handling trade-offs.

What might help is to go test drive an Accent Preferred with the 16-inch rims and maybe a Rio SX with 17's and see how they feel to you.

I don't think I'd want to go larger then 16's on an Accent, but at this point, I'm more into ride comfort than looks or handling.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm running 16" Kosei K4R's and Conti Extreme 205/50/16 for the summer...probably about the same weight as the stock 14's with much better feel and traction and wet weather handling. Got them from Tirerack.com - great deal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need to decide a bit what you are comfortable with in terms of ride/handling trade-offs.

What might help is to go test drive an Accent Preferred with the 16-inch rims and maybe a Rio SX with 17's and see how they feel to you.

I don't think I'd want to go larger then 16's on an Accent, but at this point, I'm more into ride comfort than looks or handling.
I was actually thinking of going with 195-205/55/16's I was hoping that would allow for a decent ride comfort, while also giving me more rubber on the road, a bit tighter steering, and raising my ride height up about an inch. I realize that lifting a vehicle via tires alone isn't a great idea, and the 55's will be around 4-5% larger than stock, which will effect my speedo and acceleration, but I'd prefer a little higher off the ground for some of the places I find myself.

·
Registered
87 Posts
205/55r16 seem to be tooo big!! If i take i look on Tires N Rims, they said when speedometer reads 60mph (96.6km/h) actual speed will be 63mph (101.4km/h): 5% faster.

Why people don`t go with 205/45r16?

·
Registered
226 Posts
205/55r16 seem to be tooo big!! If i take i look on Tires N Rims, they said when speedometer reads 60mph (96.6km/h) actual speed will be 63mph (101.4km/h): 5% faster.
Do Tires N Rims know that the Accent's speedometer is wrong on the stock tires to start with? Try driving past a radar equipped speed limit sign or driving with a GPS. The Accent speedometer overstates your speed. The odometer overstates your miles.

A slightly taller tire might correct the speedometer/odometer inaccuracy. (It might still be the wrong thing for the car, but for other reasons). This is why on some other threads I have wished out loud for someone on a 24.1 in tall tire like the 205-50-16 to check their speed accuracy with a GPS. A slightly smaller diameter than stock 23.7in. tire should make the speedometer inaccuracy even worse.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Which might not matter to the OP. It might not clear the suspension or might overload the brakes, which should.

Why people don`t go with 205/45r16?
Two reasons -

That is a slightly shorter tire than the stock 195/50R16 that comes on the car, whereas the 205/50R16 is slightly taller. So the speedometer will read a bit slower (at indicated 60, actually speed might be 57, and it is probably 58 with stock tires), if you want to soften the ride, raise the ride height, take up more space in the wheel well, or improve MPG (lower RPM for same speed), it is going the wrong direction. If you want better acceleration, it's a good choice.

205/50R16 is a more common size than 205/45R16, so there are more 50-series tires to choose from and they are usually slightly less expensive.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm running katana rims not sure of the exact name but they're 17's. The back are 215/40/r17 and the front are 205/45/r17. It handles much better than the steels. No speed wobble when on the freeway anymore. The ride isn't harsh either I actually really like them. You could go up to 18's but that's when I feel you would compromise ride for looks. They're sweet, would love to see more 17's on the forum!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
10 Posts
We have 17x7 MSW (OZ) rims with 205/40-17's from Tire Rack.

Second set, first set of 17''s were a different brand that were hitting the calipers...even though TireRack originally said that they would fit...I returned those and got these....still waiting for refund on first set.

-Todd and Angie

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
thanks...they do! Trying to figure out how to safely take off the front struts to install some Megan springs I just bought. I have done a ton of strut/shock work but this is the first time I've seen the spring mount retainer nut holding the entire strut to the top strut mount on the car....also, the nut is shrouded by the plastic cowl....grrrrr

·
Registered
626 Posts
17X7 Enkei FLC-01. Brand new Falken ZIEX 912 (2 days old)....and I HATE it. I miss my Falken FK 452s :( I may actually sell them. Anyone interested? Haha

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yeah yeah yeah... all your tires and rims are big and fancy, but I don't think that ANY of them can compete with my 14" base model steelies and plastic hubcaps with crappy low-resistance OEM tires!

But in all seriousness, I'd like to upgrade. Any advice for a good summer tire? What's the difference driving an Accent with 14" wheels compared to 15s or 16s? In terms of cost, what did you guys pay?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Mine came with 14" steelies that were upgraded by the dealer to 14" alloy (they were supposed to come with the car at delivery but were back-ordered). The 14" alloy was much lighter and had a bit better fuel economy and stopping ability, still with the crappy OEM tires.

I later upgraded to 16x7" alloy that are on the heavy side. Cornering is much better and steering is more responsive. Still not what I want it to be, hopefully coilovers will fix that. Fuel economy is approximately back to the steel 14s.

After all was said and done I ended up paying around $1200 for the new rims and tires.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I was actually thinking of going with 195-205/55/16's I was hoping that would allow for a decent ride comfort, while also giving me more rubber on the road, a bit tighter steering, and raising my ride height up about an inch. I realize that lifting a vehicle via tires alone isn't a great idea, and the 55's will be around 4-5% larger than stock, which will effect my speedo and acceleration, but I'd prefer a little higher off the ground for some of the places I find myself.
both my accent gls with preferred package have 16" factory mags with 195/55/16 yoko avids.

much better tires than factory eco units. had an elantra with 17" wheels , which reminded me of driving a concrete mixer. plus , the cost was much higher and availability was much less.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts