Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
My wife's '09 Malibu blew its head gasket on her way to work on Monday, so we had it towed to our local mechanic, and we started car shopping. Checked out a Volvo XC40, Mazda CX5, VW Tiguan, and the Hyundai Santa Fe.

The Volvo was nice (best seats BY FAR), but it was a lower spec model that didn't have all the features we wanted, and my wife didn't care for the "iPad infotainment" system in the new Volvo. The Mazda CX5 was very nice, but a bit too small/tight for what we were looking for (and the CX9 was too big). The VW was nice, but the engine is severely lacking power (only 180HP out of a 2.0T), and the engine was the loudest in the cabin, and not in a good way.

We test drove a 2020 Santa Fe SEL with both packages on it with the 2.4L and 2.0T engines. The 2.4 was nice, but my wife does a lot of highway driving and I wanted the extra passing power of the 2.0T engine (my mother and sister both have KIA vehicles with the 2.0T engine, so I'm familiar and pleased with its highway passing power). I hate buying new vehicles though, and told the dealer I'd get in touch with them later in the week.

The next day during lunch, I was browsing for used Santa Fe's, and found ONE that had a 2.0T engine (a 2019 Ultimate trim with 24k miles). Called the dealer, had them hold it, and drove out to look/drive it. It was a personal vehicle of a dealer employee who did a lot of back'n'forth between this dealership (SW PA) and their sister dealership in Virginia. Bought the vehicle Tuesday night ($29k, CPO so it has the balance of all the new warranty, and negotiated the extended Bumper to Bumper warranty down to $1,500).

Total out the door price was $32k, whereas we were looking at $35k OTD for a new SEL with both packages. I like the extra features that the Ultimate trim has (HUD, heated steering wheel, heated rear seats, ventilated front seats, surround view monitor, higher resolution 8" infotainment screen), plus we were able to extend the bumper to bumper warranty out to 10 year/100k miles to match the powertrain warranty (based on our annual mileage, we should hit 100k miles in about 6.5 years).

The new Santa Fe looks great (IMO), provides a ton of features for the price, and was the right size vehicle that we were looking for.

·
Registered
22 Posts
CRV=No leg room for the driver. (the center console prevented "man spreading" LOL)
Acadia= Interior was nice, price was way too much for what you get.
Passport=Price was higher than the Pilot (which we have one that my wife drives)

After looking at these vehicles and test driving my 2019 2.0T Limited, the interior was way nicer and the price was awesome. I liked the look of it and saw a great value for what I was paying for it.

Leo

·
Registered
195 Posts
I thought the same for the RAV4. I liked the risk they took with the styling, minimal and retro. But it was essentially a "rugged" SUV at a "luxury" price, very overpriced. Hopefully they allowed you to get your deposit back or use it for something else.
Yup got it back. Was only $500 just to get the order started. In the end, Even though the Rav has much better MPG, I still was ahead with the Santa Fe after 10 years of ownership.

·
Registered
53 Posts
For the last 10 years I've been driving two different Ford Tauruses, 2008 and 2015. Both have been company supplied vehicles. They have been great vehicles, and I still have the 2008 (I bought it for my son when it was time to turn it in, paid very little for it). I am currently driving the 2015 but it is time for a new vehicle. Originally, we could only choose from three vehicles (Taurus, Charger, or Impala) but since 2/3 are no longer made, we have much freer choices.

So I decided I wanted a mid-sized PU because sometimes I really need a truck. I originally had my eye on the Chevy Colorado, but I realized I'd rather have ride comfort for those long trips, so I gravitated towards the Honda Ridgeline. The Ridgeline ended up being outside of my allowed budget, and it was longer than my Taurus already (I have to park in tight spaces often), so I decided that I really didn't need a PU after all. SUV then!

My first two choices were the Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV4 (2019+). I drove both but for some reason, the RAV4 felt "right". Plus, I was leery of the CR-V's engine and CVT. However, when I test drove the RAV4, I did so on models without a sunroof. The trim I wanted had a sunroof included, so I went to a dealer and sat in one with a sunroof and felt claustrophobic. Additionally, there simply wasn't enough room for my legs to spread out comfortably for long trips. The final kicker was that my mom (who is in a wheelchair but can walk a little) had a much harder time getting into the passenger seat of the RAV4 than my Taurus.

There were other issues with the RAV4. It was noisy. I was perusing RAV4 forums, learning how to install sound deadening material to make the vehicle "acceptable". The passenger seat was horrible, and no trim level had power adjustment. Shame, I really wanted the Lunar Rock XLE Premium...

So I expanded my search. Watched way too many Youtube videos and read way too many reviews of other vehicles (I tend to over analyze things). Somehow I stumbled onto a review of the 2019 Santa Fe...

I travel a decent bit. I rent vehicles quite often and tbh, I have avoided Hyundai vehicles since I had a bad experience some time back with an Elantra. My first SVU rental was a Rogue, and honestly, I liked it. I would often look for a Rogue when renting (National). It made me want an SUV. I can't tell you how many times I have passed up a Tuscon or Santa Fe (and Escapes and Equinoxes) to drive something else, because I thought Hyundai was junk. Now I wish I had tried them.

After reading so many positive reviews of the 2019+ Santa Fe, I decided to give it a chance. A dealership close to my mom allowed me to take an extensive test drive of an SEL 2.4L (no packages, but I wanted to know about ride and performance), and I was sold. Much more room and comfort than my previous choice (RAV4), and much quieter as well. No need to open up the door panels and install sound deadening! Plus, my mom was able to get into the SF with much less effort than my current Taurus. It seems the seat height was perfect for her 5'2" frame to simply slide into.

Now I'm down to the SEL 2.4L with both packages vs the SEL 2.0T.
I have been a Ford Guy for decades. After my 2010 Ford Escape started to rust out as did my 1998 Explorer, I vowed never to buy anothe Ford. I was advised to look at the Santa Fe from a relative whose family owned multiple different dealerships. I checked out bothe the Subaru outback and Forrester and fell in love with the 2019 Santa Fe Turbo Ultimate. Bought it in June and still love it!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Picked up the 2020 SEL 2.4L last Friday. Been loving it ever since. Having come from V6 sedans, I was worried about the power of the drive train, but I've not had any issues (mostly because I don't really have a lead foot to begin with). If past history is any indication, I will enjoy my new vehicle for the next 4-5 years.

Things that are "new" to me (as in every day driving): adaptive cruise. In this CUV, it works as expected. Lane keep assist - I actually like it. Makes me use my blinker more because really, it's safer.

I will not miss my 2015 Taurus. It was a good car, gave me zero issues. But the 2020 SF is just that much better.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Had a 2013 Santa Fe, like the car, the styling and it was generally a good car from a reliability standpoint with only a couple minor issues. I was underwhelmed with the interior though. The 2019 I bought I fell in love with the moment I sat in one. I briefly looked around at the competition, Rav4, CRV, CX-5, Rogue but none could complete on looks, styling, interior, tech, safety, warranty and price.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My choices were all 2019 models: Acura RDX, RAV4, CX5. Volvo X40, and SF... I test drove all of them at least twice. Here are my thoughts:

RDX - very nice vehicle I would have bought this if I had more money (12K more than SF). Great driving dynamics especially with the SH-AWD. No cons except for the price (for me).

RAV4 - solid Toyota reliability (my 2004 Corolla at 150K miles still runs like a champ, no single issue so far, none). I liked the looks of the new RAV4 but the engine was a bit noisy and lethargic. The panoramic sunroof is not as sleek as SF. It was also smaller and I didn’t have much head room (at 6ft height).

CX5 - great looks. I hated the infotainment system and the Bose system sounded terrible. No pano sunroof available. It was considerably smaller than SF.

Volvo X40 - nice looking car but the interior felt cheap for a premium brand. It was also smaller that i would like.

At the end of the day, there is no perfect vehicle that does everything well.

I bought the SF since it satisfied me in most aspects except that I have never owned a Hyundai but have been following how they have made improved their quality. If quality is any metric for reliability then I got a winner - lets see!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts