Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the majority will say "space" and "price"

For me it was the aftermarket selection.

When I had my 2008 Malibu one biggest factor that annoyed me was the lack of aftermarket.. couldn't even change the rims because of its weird bolt pattern...

With the YF im always happy because TONS of parts are available for it

Unfortunately.... there are TONS of parts available so im always spending and never stopping = =

oh, and also.... price, design, and space.... but I'll stick with my original factor because it makes me feel younger and cooler :D

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Styling was the deciding factor for me. The YF is one of the best looking sedans on the road. Standard XM, Bluetooth, and BlueLink also helped.

I must admit though, I was apprehensive about buying a Hyundai, because I know in years past they were cheap junk. The NF is okay I guess, but the ones before that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. I'll make my decision about the quality in a couple more years.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Price wasn't a concern. The car was in the 29K range. I looked at a Maxima (not enough MPG), Lexus IS350 (too small), and an Accord (regret not getting, but already had one and wanted something new). The Sonata had everything I wanted. I ended up with a good trade in and about 1K off the msrp. I should have got the Accord or Maxima.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Styling was the deciding factor for me. The YF is one of the best looking sedans on the road.

I must admit though, I was apprehensive about buying a Hyundai, because I know in years past they were cheap junk. The NF is okay I guess, but the ones before that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. I'll make my decision about the quality in a couple more years.
+1. Gas mileage was also a big factor. We get as advertised on ours.

Still think its one of the nicest looking cars out there. However I have apprehensions on longevity. Especially seating surfaces and often used controls. I really take care of my stuff and some things are showing premature wear. I had a 91 MR2 that looked brand new and my 01 Maxima (aside from the blasted rear wheel pinch seam rust) also looked brand new. Not seeing that with my Sonata. My dad has a Santa Fe and it has some issues as well.

However I think Hyundai made a HUGE stride with the YF. They just have to keep going in my opinion. Seeing how many complaints there have been about passenger seating height and function and not seeing an associated change on the most current version is very disappointing.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I had a price range, preferred a larger car, needed at least 30mpg. When I saw the Sonata had all that and the zippy 2.4 engine, that sealed the deal.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I was seduced by the looks but the power of the 2.4l engine, the interior space for driver and passengers, the huge trunk, and the great gas mileage were the things that sealed the deal. It also didn't hurt that Bluetooth and steering wheel controls were standard, and the PEP was only an additional $750 back then (thought it was a good deal for what was offered). I tried 3 versions of the 2011 Accord. Only the V6 variant didn't feel like it was bolted to the ground, and even then it wasn't leaps and bounds peppier. The 2011 Malibu felt like I was driving in a coffin. Nice and quiet, but the view from the A-pillars going around corners was horrible. 2011 Fusion was nice, but too many of the buttons for radio and climate control felt too small. Sonata has that great waterfall center stack with well labeled knobs and switches.

All in, I paid a little over $18K for my first-gen YF Sonata purchased in March of 2010. So far I've had no issues with it that weren't taken care of under warranty (only really BAD one was defective right front axle assembly). At the time the next closest thing in all of the other models was around $22K for similar features.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I developed a matrix for evaluating all of the features I felt were important, and assigned a weighted value to each. I scored each feature on a 1 - 10 scale for the Sonata, Fusion, Malibu, and Passaat (the car I REALLY wanted). The Malibu and Sonata had almost identical scores. The Passaat would have been the winner at a lower price. I broke the tie between the Hyundai and the Chevy using two criteria - I was trading in a Hyundai that I had been happy with, and the interior size. So far, I am 95% happy with my decision.

Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,286 Posts
For me, it was about value. Mainly, the number of standard features that I was getting compared to anything else offered in 2010 (I have one of the earliest YF Sonatas). Also my then-girlfriend was on here second NF (1st was an 06, then a 10) and she loved them.

Also, once I saw an SE in red with the dual exhaust, I was hooked like a fat kid on cake!

**Apologies in advance to any fat kids who may not be cake lovers!**

·
Registered
91 Posts
had a 2001 sonata and liked it, started with everything else similar in 2013 models, and went to Hyundai last. the car is Just better in every way. except for the EPS... Not loving That yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would have never given the Sonata a second thought until I rented one to drive cross country. I was blown away over how much I liked it that I decided I had to own one.

·
Registered
689 Posts
The online reviews/ratings were great when I bought it ('11) . I did a lot of research on 4drs in the Sonata's price range and really liked what it offered compared to others. Gas mileage was a + as well as space, Couldn't say I liked the way it drove as I didn't even test drive it b4 I bought it. I only just turned 18 so I was looking for a cheaper-preowned, but '10 or '11 model. Got this Limited for $18.4k with <18,000 miles on it. Couldn't pass it up as I knew I wouldn't find anything better in that $ range.

·
Registered
458 Posts
being this was our 5th Hyundai since 1999 (2000 Elantra, 2007 Sonata V6 SE, 2009 Elantra, 2013 Elantra. Traded the 2000 for the 07, daughter totaled her 2009 and we bought the 13) It was a no brainer to stay with Hyundai When we traded the 07 Sonata. The deciding factors were Color, Pano roof, Turbo and of course the price. Since it was one of the Last "New 12's" on the lot in june of 13, they took almost 10k off the sticker, plus what we got in trade on the 07, 10,750, we got into the Sonata for about 12k

·
Registered
281 Posts
Had to be bigger than my 07 Si, due to 2 children now. Had to be as quick, or quicker, than teh Si. Test drove optima's, as 2 of my buddies had just picked em up, wifey didn't like the way she sat it them. Saw a my11 20T limited w/ only 26k, test drove it and loved it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts