Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what tyre pressure people have on the 18s on the Sonata? Mine says the recommended is 35psi but when I took delivery it was a ridiculously high 37-38 on all wheels. After adjusting it to 35 the ride is noticably more comfortable.

Also, another question regarding what polish & wax to use? I've only ever owned black cars and I always used Meguirs Crystal Polish and Carnuba Wax. Tried the synthetic stuff and it didn't look nearly as good. Now I have white, very different. Should I stick with what I've been using or is there a better product to use with white?

·
Banned
630 Posts
I set mine at the recommended 35psi door card pressure. My car came delivered to me with 3 out of 4 tires with 35psi. One had 33psi

I might try 33 all around since 35 seems a bit harsh to me over bad NYC roads.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (Davez621 @ Jun 24 2010, 03:16 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335744
Just wondering what tyre pressure people have on the 18s on the Sonata? Mine says the recommended is 35psi but when I took delivery it was a ridiculously high 37-38 on all wheels. After adjusting it to 35 the ride is noticably more comfortable.

Also, another question regarding what polish & wax to use? I've only ever owned black cars and I always used Meguirs Crystal Polish and Carnuba Wax. Tried the synthetic stuff and it didn't look nearly as good. Now I have white, very different. Should I stick with what I've been using or is there a better product to use with white?
What NT2SHBBY said. I'll just add that 18" and larger tires are very sensitive to pressure. Too much pressure
can cause a harsh ride, and blow out easier if you hit a pothole. Not enough pressure, and the wheels are a lot
more likely to be damaged, and the tires cut by potholes.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I need to check mine again this weekend. I will report back with what I set mine at.

The wax is up to you. I use Meguiars NXT and I love the stuff. May not last as long but it is super easy to put on and take off. Wax by hand might take me a total of 2 hours for the whole car.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (Doc_V @ Jun 24 2010, 03:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335898
mine came with 40psi all around and I lowered to 33psi and it made a world of difference. MUCH better now!

how does the tire footprint look at 33psi? (esp up front where all the weight is)...i swear my tire looked flat (not fully flat) or low with 33psi when I picked her up...

I really want a softer contact patch but don't want to sacrifice rim protection on the mean streets of NY

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wow, you guys are lucky - I drove my car for a week after I got it before I realized all 4 tires were at 50 psi. Luckily I saw another post on here suggesting to check the tire pressure after buying the car. I lowered them to the recommended 35.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (joecd04475 @ Jun 25 2010, 02:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336137
Wow, you guys are lucky - I drove my car for a week after I got it before I realized all 4 tires were at 50 psi. Luckily I saw another post on here suggesting to check the tire pressure after buying the car. I lowered them to the recommended 35.
Man, that must have made a huge difference in the ride. 50psi is like riding on solid rubber tires.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The max pressure on the sidewall is 50 PSI. I bumped mine up to 40 to see if I liked the handling better but it is just too punishing for my taste. Back to 35

·
Registered
603 Posts
On my other cars, I have always aimed for a tire pressure of 32-34 PSI in the summer months and 34-36 in the winter months.

Your tire pressure varies by the outside ambient temperature. So, if you fill up your tires to 34 PSI in the summer, and then check them again in the winter, it will be a little less.

For most daily driver cars, anything in this range is fine. My main point of concern is that whatever the PSI, that all 4 tires are the same.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts