Hyundai Forums banner

WHat type of rotor on this 98 Elantra?

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  EdGasket 
#1 ·
Hello,

Yesterday my aunt asked me to fix up her braking system. I checked for disc or drum and then went to autozone and purchased OEM spec replacements along with shoes/pads and the hardware kit for the drum brakes.

I replaced the rear drum brakes fine; however when I got the front tire off in order to remove the rotor I saw whats shown in the pictures supplied in this post.

photobucket.com/albums/j332/itscheddar/Rotorfront.jpg

photobucket.com/albums/j332/itscheddar/Rotorside.jpg

Whats shown in these pictures is definitely not what was provided as OEM spec from autozone. Also I've never seen a set up like this myself and am a bit leery of continuing without further information.

What type of setup is this? Would removing the castle nut that appears to be holding it on the axle be a dumb idea? It looks as if the tire lug nuts are inserted into a disc which is then bolted onto the rotor which is held on by a castle nut? Does this make sense?

1998 Hyundai Elantra

Thank you for any and all help,

AUTOdidact

See less See more
#4 ·
Old style captured rotors..

Before you proceed, go buy 2 new wheel bearing and snap rings, as the hubs going to have to come out of the bearings, and the bearings going to be trashed when pulled apart..

Remove spindle assembly from car, have shop push the old stuff apart

Install new bearings to the spindle, then push the hub with new rotor attached into the bearing, install spindle assembly back to car.

#5 · (Edited)
What The!?!

Was checking out this forum in part to see what idiosyncrasies this generation of Elantra's had. Kind of on the prowl to see about getting a used one, but would probably prefer the next gen (XD '01-06).

Just out of curiosity, did they ever change this style for later years? like 99-'00. Edit: Just realized I should add 'specifically for the U.S. Market'

I saw a local ad for a 2000 'Lantra with decent mileage for cheap but this kind of repair work would turn me off a bit since I DIY as much as possible. Just had to do the same kind of thing for the GF's '08 Accent due to front wheel studs having been snapped off :mad: and it was kind of a PITA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.