Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day all,

Just wondering what weight oil i should use for my '99 Hyundai Sonata with a 2.0L 4 cylinder?
For example, 20w-50w? It's currently got about 165,000kms if that makes much difference.
I just changed the oil and put in Penrite 40w-70w which I realise won't be good for long term, however it's still better than the sludge that was in previously, however I'm happy (well, i'm willing) to change the oil again with the appropriate weight if needed. Unfortunately I don't have the owners manual for it.

Please help,
Cheers,
Jeremy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for that mate!

Unfortunately money is pretty tight at the moment, however i'll change to the correct w oil in about 2500 kms... should be ok yeah?

·
Registered
290 Posts
QUOTE (psshhhht @ Apr 22 2010, 05:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315769
Unfortunately money is pretty tight at the moment, however i'll change to the correct w oil in about 2500 kms... should be ok yeah?
40W-70 is not a standard viscosity for automotive applications, in fact, both weights are too heavy. I would guess mileage will be terrible and flow rate may not be adequate some internal components like hydraulic actuators. Oil filter may not flow adequately, but a good filter will have a proper bypass valve to circumvent damage. IF the weather is cold, the starter may have a tough time spinning the motor over with a 40 weight oil in it. To be honest, I would swap it out with 5W-30 or 10W-30 asap if it were my car, but I understand the money crunch issue as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts