Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 GLS V6 with relatively low miles. About an inch behind the back of the battery and maybe 3 inches below the bottom of the battery I see some fluid pooling. It looks sort of watery or thin. When I use a paper towel to absorb it, the fluid is dark black in color. Looks like engine oil. I couldn’t really smell it but I don’t have a good nose at all. The oil and other fluid levels are fine and have been since I first noticed this around 9 weeks ago. The oil level is actually high according to the dip stick (measured when off for around 2 hours after driving).

Around the pooling area there are greasy parts. Since the car is so old and I don’t often thoroughly check under the hood, who knows how long those parts have been greasy and if it’s related to this current fluid issue? I usually park on the street in different spots each time so can’t really (or haven’t really tried to) see if it’s leaking onto the ground because newspaper will likely just blow away. For several days recently, I parked in the same place on a concrete drive and there were no oil/fluid spots under the car so that’s good.
20200212_114940.jpg
20200211_165144.jpg

I’ve attached two pics but they don’t really show it as well as my eyes see it. However, hopefully the area where it's pooling is indicative of where the leak is coming from. Does this basically have to be an oil leak? Or could it be transmission? What's the significance of it being thin/watery? Where is the likely leak point? Thanks to anyone who can help out. Will bring it to my mechanic if people think it’s serious.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
If it's not dripping I wouldn't worry about it. Seepage is common on a 15 year old vehicle.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Get some engine cleaner, spray it down and blast it with a hose. Take it for a long drive and see where it leaks from. You may want to take of the plastic top cover and wash there, in case it's coming from higher up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Get some engine cleaner, spray it down and blast it with a hose. Take it for a long drive and see where it leaks from. You may want to take of the plastic top cover and wash there, in case it's coming from higher up.
Sounds like a good idea. And thanks for suggesting taking off the top cover.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts