Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I just bought my first Hyundai last weekend, picked up a 2011 Sonata limited in Harbor Gray. Couldn't be happier with it. I have never really been much into modifying cars or doing much to them, I can barely change my own tire, but for some reason I feel like adding some touches to this car. I started by taking off the Sonata and Limited badges to give it a more clean look, (see pic). I am also thinking about tinting the windows and maybe adding HID head lights and a lip spoiler on the back.

I am brand new to the forum and open to any suggestions or comments you guys might have. Thanks a lot!

[attachment=20249:IMG00132...902_1928.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (NapsterHC @ Sep 13 2010, 03:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356018
Hi everyone! I just bought my first Hyundai last weekend, picked up a 2011 Sonata limited in Harbor Gray. Couldn't be happier with it. I have never really been much into modifying cars or doing much to them, I can barely change my own tire, but for some reason I feel like adding some touches to this car. I started by taking off the Sonata and Limited badges to give it a more clean look, (see pic). I am also thinking about tinting the windows and maybe adding HID head lights and a lip spoiler on the back.

I am brand new to the forum and open to any suggestions or comments you guys might have. Thanks a lot!

[attachment=20249:IMG00132...902_1928.jpg]
Sounds like a good start. I would check out a few ideas from the FAQs ( http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t51446-2011-...dex-faq39s.htm) to give you more ideas.

I want a lip spoiler, but dont like the current offering from Shark. I like one a lot from KoreanAutoImports but dont trust them as a distributor. Shark said they are going to release another version (un-noted as to which one) soon so I am waiting to see what they will offer.

Tinting is always a good way to go as if you get a good film you can get looks AND performance (UV protection and more).

HIDS are great and a huge thread about em too.

Welcome! :00000732:

·
Registered
603 Posts
:00000732: Welcome to the board!

I dont have any other suggestions since I dont have one yet, but a good bit of advice that I can give you is when you order your HIDs, do not get cheap Chinese made ebay quality HIDs. Spend the extra money on a quality set or else you may run into electrical issues or uneven lighting.

There is a HUGE HID thread on this forum and many people reported issues with the cheap HID kits out there.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Hey Napster :00000732:
OK, tint and HID are a good start. Those look great on this car. Good luck and enjoy your new ride. :3gears:

·
Registered
10 Posts
you should definitely change the stock horn. alot of people think it's dangerous that the horn isnt loud, especially when travelling at highway speeds.

there's a 7 page thread about it in this forum.

Enjoy~!

·
Registered
13 Posts
QUOTE (meekzzz @ Sep 13 2010, 02:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356031
you should definitely change the stock horn. alot of people think it's dangerous that the horn isnt loud, especially when travelling at highway speeds.

there's a 7 page thread about it in this forum.

Enjoy~!

Not only is it dangerous to your safety, the stock horn is also a danger to your reputation if anyone hears it :gitara:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did like the spoiler from Korean Imports better too, I liked how it went around the trunk and not just sat on top like the one from Shark. However, everything I read says Shark is the better site to order off of.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Every new car I get I install a screen in front of the radiator (technically the ac condenser is in the front, but will just refer to as radiator).

Hate seeing how beat up perfect set of radiator fins get so quickly from grass hoppers and June bugs etc pounding on them. Do this and your ac will always perform like new and your car will cool the best it can as well. Lot of radiators look like crap at 50-100k miles.

Get 1/8" spacing metal screen from hardware store + change your horn while you are in there.

20% tint looks the best to be by far but it can be a target by the fuzz if they want to be picky. 35% still looks good just not as good. I went with 35% so I dont get weirded out every time I see a cop or get the situation where you have to cruise past one.

Factory mudflaps and possibly smoke bug shield.

Would avoid HID, look how long the HID thread is. Lot of hit and miss issues with ebay. Pony up a couple hundred and buy locally if really want it so you can return locally if it winds up crap as well. No matter what anyone says you cant go wrong with using a relay even if somebody says you dont need it. Relay protects your stock wiring. Gain knowledge of what is relay is so you understand how it protects if you do not know.

Regards!

·
Registered
150 Posts
QUOTE (Fallguy @ Sep 13 2010, 10:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356140
Every new car I get I install a screen in front of the radiator (technically the ac condenser is in the front, but will just refer to as radiator).

Hate seeing how beat up perfect set of radiator fins get so quickly from grass hoppers and June bugs etc pounding on them. Do this and your ac will always perform like new and your car will cool the best it can as well. Lot of radiators look like crap at 50-100k miles.

Get 1/8" spacing metal screen from hardware store + change your horn while you are in there.

20% tint looks the best to be by far but it can be a target by the fuzz if they want to be picky. 35% still looks good just not as good. I went with 35% so I dont get weirded out every time I see a cop or get the situation where you have to cruise past one.

Factory mudflaps and possibly smoke bug shield.

Would avoid HID, look how long the HID thread is. Lot of hit and miss issues with ebay. Pony up a couple hundred and buy locally if really want it so you can return locally if it winds up crap as well. No matter what anyone says you cant go wrong with using a relay even if somebody says you dont need it. Relay protects your stock wiring. Gain knowledge of what is relay is so you understand how it protects if you do not know.

Regards!
HID's are fine to order on ebay as long as you know what your doing or get a professional install. Don't touch the projectors, they seem to be aimed just fine. Thats what the issue is. No need to waste hundreds of dollars locally, besides the ebay dealers offer extensive warranties on their products. You can probably find a decent installer for about $50 if you look around. Goto your local Best Buy and just conversate with the car audio department guy and ask them I'm sure they know the installer who wouldn't mind making extra bucks after work. They wouldn't mind cuz its not a stereo and its not something Best Buy sells.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
QUOTE (sean1k2 @ Sep 25 2010, 01:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=358695
HID's are fine to order on ebay as long as you know what your doing or get a professional install. Don't touch the projectors, they seem to be aimed just fine. Thats what the issue is. No need to waste hundreds of dollars locally, besides the ebay dealers offer extensive warranties on their products. You can probably find a decent installer for about $50 if you look around. Goto your local Best Buy and just conversate with the car audio department guy and ask them I'm sure they know the installer who wouldn't mind making extra bucks after work. They wouldn't mind cuz its not a stereo and its not something Best Buy sells.

why do ebay when DDM has lifetime warranties on their HID kits, and inexpensive to boot.

·
Registered
247 Posts
hey everyone.
this might be a stupid question, but i never modified cars before.
what do you guys think about side vents that you buy from pepboys?
the fake ones you apply with a sticker.

·
Registered
73 Posts
QUOTE (shinigami @ Sep 27 2010, 02:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=359162
hey everyone.
Aside from making your car look ugly, they're fine. IMO our cars look bling enough without putting hideous fake chrome vent stickers on. Sorry, I don't mean to be mean, but I just don't like these vents. I've seen a lot of ppl that have done this and it just looks ridiculous.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (shinigami @ Sep 27 2010, 02:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=359162
hey everyone.
I dont think you are going to get any real positive responses for this type of a modification.

Here is a good trivia question:

Which manufacturer brought the fender vents into their line and what did it originally represent?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Sep 27 2010, 02:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=359181
I dont think you are going to get any real positive responses for this type of a modification.

Here is a good trivia question:

Which manufacturer brought the fender vents into their line and what did it originally represent?

buick, functional vents for engine heat?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Sep 27 2010, 03:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=359183
Correct but I am looking for a bit more than that. It also represented something.
I remember reading that the portholes originally had lights within and would flash for each spark plug firing, according to firing order. For production, they were just three or four pieces of trim on either front fender.
The worst interpretation of Buick portholes came with the B/C body 80's Buicks. They were just indentations in the otherwise smooth line of chrome along the body side.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts