Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am new to this community and I think it can be very resourceful! In December of 2015, I leased a 2016 Hyundai Tuscon (Limited), Ruby Wine color. Where I live is in the city, and we are fortunate enough to have a parking spot. However, it is very difficult to pull in and back out, because it is the first spot closest to a metal fence with a small area.

Yesterday, my wife was pulling in the spot and as she began to turn in, she accidentally scraped the rear driver's side door, leaving scratches and a dent (see pictures).

The dent is pretty hard to see but it is a pretty decent size. Also, the scratches are pretty deep. I applied some scratch remover to it today just to see how much it would help, but it didn't.

So the advice I am seeking is... should I bring this to a Body Shop to fix? If so, do you guys think the cost will be large enough to file on insurance with a $500 deductible? Any other suggestions/advice?

Thank you all!
Bradley

Attachments

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
Hello All,

I am new to this community and I think it can be very resourceful! In December of 2015, I leased a 2016 Hyundai Tuscon (Limited), Ruby Wine color. Where I live is in the city, and we are fortunate enough to have a parking spot. However, it is very difficult to pull in and back out, because it is the first spot closest to a metal fence with a small area.

Yesterday, my wife was pulling in the spot and as she began to turn in, she accidentally scraped the rear driver's side door, leaving scratches and a dent (see pictures).

The dent is pretty hard to see but it is a pretty decent size. Also, the scratches are pretty deep. I applied some scratch remover to it today just to see how much it would help, but it didn't.

So the advice I am seeking is... should I bring this to a Body Shop to fix? If so, do you guys think the cost will be large enough to file on insurance with a $500 deductible? Any other suggestions/advice?

Thank you all!
Bradley
Don't file a claim, that will get reported to Hyundai and they will be looking for it on the lease-end inspection.

Ordinarily I would say that's less than a $500 dent, but body shop prices have soared in the last 10 years. Take it around and get estimates...and have a look around the shop to get a handle on the quality of the work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, that's a good suggestion. I didn't even think about the fact that filing it on insurance may adversely affect me at lease-end. I plan to take it to a few different body shops for estimates next week.

Any ideas of what they would need to replace to get this fixed?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Just bite your lip and have a professional body shop repair it. I messed around for months trying to fix a scrape and in the end wound up trading the car but would have had it done professionally. The average owner simply cannot do the repair so that it is visually acceptable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you, that's a good suggestion. I didn't even think about the fact that filing it on insurance may adversely affect me at lease-end. I plan to take it to a few different body shops for estimates next week.

Any ideas of what they would need to replace to get this fixed?
I've never had a leased car, but I don't know why it would be a problem at lease end ? Isn't that what we have insurance for ? If you pay for the fix yourself how do you know they won't discover the repair anyway ? Better make dam sure it is a top notch repair if you don't use your insurance. Going to cost you one way or the other, either paying to get it fixed, paying at lease end, or probably paying your insurance deductible. Like the one person said, get a quote from some good shops. If it isn't more than your deductible you are going to pay for it yourself anyway. Not sure if reputable shops enter the car into a database these days or not...Good Luck.

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
I've never had a leased car, but I don't know why it would be a problem at lease end ? Isn't that what we have insurance for ? If you pay for the fix yourself how do you know they won't discover the repair anyway ? Better make dam sure it is a top notch repair if you don't use your insurance. Going to cost you one way or the other, either paying to get it fixed, paying at lease end, or probably paying your insurance deductible. Like the one person said, get a quote from some good shops. If it isn't more than your deductible you are going to pay for it yourself anyway. Not sure if reputable shops enter the car into a database these days or not...Good Luck.
Interesting info.

Now, I'm just curious. Your avatar...i...is that the Titanic? :eek:

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Hello All,

Thank you all!
Bradley
Yes. I would pay it and leave your insurance company out of it.

A layman cannot repair body work.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I had a very similar dent on the side of my '14 Elantra GT. $650 for an excellent repair with a lifetime warranty. Even knowing where it was, I cannot find it. Don't file on the insurance. It will come back to bite you on your lease and insurance both.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts