Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen many people changing their DRLs to LEDs....But isn't this will lose the function of high beam?

I was thinking about doing http://www.amazon.com/GE-NIGHTHAWK-H7-55NH...mp;sr=8-2-fkmr2 for the high beam
but I saw a few reviews about this set, and it is not even close to HID, and it's not White!

Any solution that will make my life easier? Just trying to match up with my 4300k HID, and without losing the high beam function!!!

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (SteveYFSE @ Nov 3 2010, 01:35 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368589
I have seen many people changing their DRLs to LEDs....But isn't this will lose the function of high beam?

I was thinking about doing http://www.amazon.com/GE-NIGHTHAWK-H7-55NH...mp;sr=8-2-fkmr2 for the high beam
but I saw a few reviews about this set, and it is not even close to HID, and it's not White!

Any solution that will make my life easier? Just trying to match up with my 4300k HID, and without losing the high beam function!!!
You are correct, switching that bulb to LED loses the hi-beams. Since its the same bulb there really is no way to get "HID" like light and still maintain both functions. The Silverstars and bulbs like them are your best compromise. No, they wont look exactly like an HID, but they'll be closer than the standard bulbs that are in there.

·
Registered
854 Posts
why not got hid conversion for hb/drl? That's the best way for it to match your lb, though I don't see why matching matters because they are never on at the same time.

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (eyecue @ Nov 3 2010, 08:32 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368614
why not got hid conversion for hb/drl? That's the best way for it to match your lb, though I don't see why matching matters because they are never on at the same time.
The problem with actual HIDs as replacements for the DRL/Hi-Beams is that when the DRLs are on, the circuit is getting only half voltage, which wouldnt be enough to power the HID ballasts. This lower voltage could actually damage the ballast over time. With HIDs there, they would only function as hi-beams.

If you were OK with that, you would have to direct wire the HIDs straight to the battery and use a relay to power the HIDs off the original hi-beam power lines as a switch.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Just thinking out of the box here, but this might be a good wishlist item to ask someone like Shark Racing to see if they could devise some type of aftermarket headlight that has two stockets in the space where the DRLs/Hi-Beams are so that you could install an LED as a DRL and a standard halogen or HID builb for the hi-beams. Boogyman, what do you think?! :)

If anyone can do it, I betcha they can! :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
QUOTE (Mike Eckman @ Nov 3 2010, 08:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368618
Just thinking out of the box here, but this might be a good wishlist item to ask someone like Shark Racing to see if they could devise some type of aftermarket headlight that has two stockets in the space where the DRLs/Hi-Beams are so that you could install an LED as a DRL and a standard halogen or HID builb for the hi-beams. Boogyman, what do you think?! :)

If anyone can do it, I betcha they can! :)
Well, we are going to be selling a DRL-delete module, that will basically be a plug and play wire harness that will plug in between the headlights and the wiring harness from the car that plugs into the headlights. The wire harness will disable the factory high beam DRL while keeping the high beam function alive.

You can use this and use something else as the DRL. The wiring harness that we will be offering will also be able to power LEDs to act as DRL.

We'd rather not mess with the actual sockets in the headlights.

We will most likely be putting the harness on sale by the end of the year. We have to get a US tester, and then get it mass produced. We have a prototype made, ready to test.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Silverstar and nighthawk wont work either as when in drl mode with half power they look as yellow as a stock halogen. They need full power to delivet the white light. I have putco loghts in there. With the high beams on they match my 6500k hid perfectly. When in drl they look just like the stick yellow bulb.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
QUOTE (boogyman @ Nov 3 2010, 12:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368644
Well, we are going to be selling a DRL-delete module, that will basically be a plug and play wire harness that will plug in between the headlights and the wiring harness from the car that plugs into the headlights. The wire harness will disable the factory high beam DRL while keeping the high beam function alive.

You can use this and use something else as the DRL. The wiring harness that we will be offering will also be able to power LEDs to act as DRL.

We'd rather not mess with the actual sockets in the headlights.

We will most likely be putting the harness on sale by the end of the year. We have to get a US tester, and then get it mass produced. We have a prototype made, ready to test.

My idea was to use a simple relay on the DRL/High Beam circuit. Theory being, it takes 8-10 volts minimum to fire a normal 12v relay solenoid that closes the power contacts inside the relay. We all know that the DRL is just the highbeam running on decreased voltage. Depending on how low it actually is, it may be such that the relay alone may do the trick. If the relay fires with just the DRL-level voltage, then a small resistor in series with the solenoid would prevent it from firing. Now, when the full 12-14v of highbeam voltage hits the relay, it will still fire even with the small resistor in place.

My own goal is to use a 100w H7 bulb in place of the stock 55w highbeam bulb. I dont want to run the risk of burning up the lighting module using a higher wattage bulb than the DRL side is used to seeing. Thus the idea of using the relay to protect it (and disabling the DRL itself) while still having high-beam function (at nearly twice the power).

·
Registered
96 Posts
QUOTE (robspeedGLS @ Nov 3 2010, 12:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368734
My idea was to use a simple relay on the DRL/High Beam circuit. Theory being, it takes 8-10 volts minimum to fire a normal 12v relay solenoid that closes the power contacts inside the relay. We all know that the DRL is just the highbeam running on decreased voltage. Depending on how low it actually is, it may be such that the relay alone may do the trick. If the relay fires with just the DRL-level voltage, then a small resistor in series with the solenoid would prevent it from firing. Now, when the full 12-14v of highbeam voltage hits the relay, it will still fire even with the small resistor in place.

My own goal is to use a 100w H7 bulb in place of the stock 55w highbeam bulb. I dont want to run the risk of burning up the lighting module using a higher wattage bulb than the DRL side is used to seeing. Thus the idea of using the relay to protect it (and disabling the DRL itself) while still having high-beam function (at nearly twice the power).

So any luck with this?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts