Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have searched the forum and I was not sure I quite find what I am looking for and I need your help in determining what I have to do. I have Santa fe 2008 and the tires on it are worn out big time. I need to buy a set of 4 tires (All season) and I live in canada (taking weather into consideration). What do you recommend?
Definitly price is the major factor. . Please recommend a brand/experience with one
So far I am using tirerack to search for tires if you have another suggestion too that will be great
THANKKKK UUUU

·
Registered
20 Posts
QUOTE (arasem @ Sep 7 2010, 04:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=354868
Hi all,
I have searched the forum and I was not sure I quite find what I am looking for and I need your help in determining what I have to do. I have Santa fe 2008 and the tires on it are worn out big time. I need to buy a set of 4 tires (All season) and I live in canada (taking weather into consideration). What do you recommend?
Definitly price is the major factor. . Please recommend a brand/experience with one
So far I am using tirerack to search for tires if you have another suggestion too that will be great
THANKKKK UUUU

I am not an expert but heard this... JC Whitney has FREE SHIPPING to Canada until Sept 16, 2010 - WINTER TIRES!!! Might be good for all season too....

Enter coupon code TAILGTE into the Promotion Box during checkout.

I would also like to hear the best tires to choose for Santafe...

·
Registered
283 Posts
There are posts here about tire replacement. I didn't find them at the moment but will post when I find them.
I put a set of Yokohama Parada Spec-X on my 09 Santa Fe about 6,000 miles ago. I took the dueler D/T off at 6,000 miles.
I like them much better but haven't done a winter with them yet.
I live in northern Illinois US.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I put Michelin XC LT4s on my Santa Fe, which are a Canadian Tire private label equivalent to the Michelin LTX truck tire. The deep tread performs well in winter - albeit not as good on ice as a true winter tire - and they last longer than just about anything else. Some humming on fresh asphalt, but otherwise quiet and very smooth-riding. Much better than the OEM Bridgestones.

·
Registered
947 Posts
My 2008 GLS AWD had brand-new Uniroyal Loredos when I purchased the vehicle used w/ ~39Kmi. I couldn't believe how well they went trough a couple wicked Buffalo snow storms last winter. They are very quiet and there's barely any tread wear with 15Kmi on them so far. The thing with tires is, they're all good! Typically the more you pay, the 'better' the tire.

Joel

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (arasem @ Sep 7 2010, 12:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=354868
Hi all,
THANKKKK UUUU
Since you're showing a 3.3 Limited, I'll assume the originals were the lousy Bridgestone 235/60-18 tires. That limits the choices a little bit, but there are still good options out there. Not being in Canada, I can't speak to whether these particular tires are widely available in distribution up there. Ratings are from surveys at Tirerack.com, and work on a scale of 1 ~ 10. I'd personally recommend anyone spend some time at Tirerack.com reviewing the situation, but because this same topic comes up SO often here, I'll post the results where you can see them.

The first group is for your standard size (235/60-18). The second group is for a near perfect fit alternate size (255/55-18) that will put your speedo slow only 0.1mph at 60mph.
You can select for other all season types, but these are sturdier tires and tend to cost a bit less than the alternative types. Note the HUGE difference in survey ratings, esp for winter performance.

The Kumho 51s are the least expensive of the better rated tires and come with a nice tread/traction rating. The General Grabbers are a little higher, but also good in both respects.

Highway / All-Season (cheaper than Grand Touring Passenger All Season, etc)

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
QUOTE (PoMansAWD @ Sep 8 2010, 11:19 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355030
Typically the more you pay, the 'better' the tire.
Heh heh... how true. Has anyone ever badmouthed the new tires they just bought for $1,200?

Might as well ask people what they think of synthetic oil, as they're loading a $50 jug of the stuff into their trunk. :devil:

·
Registered
8 Posts
No matter where you live in Canada, maybe the exception Vancouver, all seasons don't cut it. For winter, use snow tires. Youtube shows videos of the stopping distance difference between a snow tire and a all season tire. Just think, a stopping distance of just 2 feet shorter could mean the difference between hitting or not hitting the vehcile stopped in front of you. I just purchased snow tires for my wife's 2010 Santa Fe went with Michelin latitude (basically x-ice).
Duellers are crab, uneven wear and performance is on the low end of the scale.
My wife drives the coke (Interior BC) everyday and her Michelin x-ice worked very well.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (dboxster @ Sep 8 2010, 03:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355130
I just purchased snow tires for my wife's 2010 Santa Fe went with Michelin latitude (basically x-ice).
Unfortunately, Michelin doesn't make an 18" Latitude Xi2 with the right diameter for the OPs rims. Would be nice if they did, because they cost a bunch less than the Latitude Alpin (I assume you mean Latitude Alpin)... those will run him more than US$200 each for the "lower performance" of the three available Alpin products.

Both of those tires are great on ice (well, as great a a rubber tire gets, anyway), if that's what you're facing. If you live in the right place, perhaps even great enough to make up for the reduced tread life, and make no mistake about it, there's a reason these don't get rated or warrantied for tread life.

But this guy's on a budget, remember? If it's snow that's the primary problem, there are tires with comparable handling statistics for a whole lot less money. Depends upon the local winter climate.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you are running 18", the cost of a set of 16" steel rims for winter use will more than pay for themselves in dollars saved over buying 18" winter ties.
Prices increase dramatically as the tire size goes up.
Every vehicle I've bought since my first, the last negotiation before the sale is them providing a set of steel rims for my winter tires.
IN this case, when I bought the SF, I specified 16" steel rims.
This saves the nice 18" rims from winter abuse. Also saves me some money and a lot of time (waiting in garages as appointment times get pushed back in the busy change-over period) as once I get the winters bought and installed on the steelies, I can switch them back and forth spring and fall myself if I want.
It will screw up my odometer and speed reading a bit in the winter but I can accommodate for that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all for the comments.. This is really helpful, I will be doing my homework today about your recommendation.
Best regards, Wish me luck :)

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (Haith @ Sep 9 2010, 07:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355213
It will screw up my odometer and speed reading a bit in the winter but I can accommodate for that.
We've had this recommended in previous tire threads here before for both winter and "off roading". My spare on my 18" equipped Limited is a 16" on a steel rim (beats the crappy SpaceSaver it came with!). I wouldn't want to trust my return trip from the mountains to a SpaceSaver.

And there's no need for you to mess up your odo readings if you had 18" tires previously. Just switch to a 235/70-16. At 60mph, your odo would theoretically be reading 59.7mph. I figure for the 1/2 percent difference in speed, it's plenty close enough to run that 235/70-16 as a spare right along with my 18"s if I ever pop one.

I've never understood why less rubber always seems to equal higher cost - life in the fast lane, eh?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi all,
I don't think I will be switching to 16 asidea of finding rims for them is another hussle although it is good plan for the long run.
Ok so now I found these two tires: Do you know or recommend any:
ALTIMAX HP 225/60R18
GRABBER HTS 255/55R18

One problem is, I have limited model as someone said which means the current tires are 235/60R18.. In that case, does any of the above cause problems, (not fitting, stability, etc). please help. I will be waiting for your answer before I put the order through

Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
I picked up a nice set of 16" rims - just over 100$ a piece at CTC and mounted winterforce tires - had good luck with them so far and saving the 18" rim/tire for summer
[attachment=20204:p1020167.JPG]

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
QUOTE (arasem @ Sep 9 2010, 01:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355267
Hi all,
I don't think I will be switching to 16 asidea of finding rims for them is another hussle although it is good plan for the long run.
ALTIMAX HP 225/60R18
GRABBER HTS 255/55R18

One problem is, I have limited model as someone said which means the current tires are 235/60R18.. In that case, does any of the above cause problems, (not fitting, stability, etc). please help. I will be waiting for your answer before I put the order through

Thanks
Google "Miata tirecalc"

That's a website that cross-lists different tire sizes.

I'm putting Michelin M/S LTX 225/75-16s on my Limited and running a 16" rim I'm getting from Costco for $48 each for winter. Look at the possibility of getting 16s, even just to save the 18" OEMs for summeruse...

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (arasem @ Sep 9 2010, 10:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355267
Hi all,
ALTIMAX HP 225/60R18
GRABBER HTS 255/55R18

Thanks
The Grabber HTS is a really decent tire. Good snow performance and good tread life all in one package. (640 tread rating, 109 load, H speed, and XL construction - light a light truck tire).

The Altimax is OK in snow, but not as good as the Grabber HTS. It doesn't have quite as good a dry/wet traction rating, either. It has only about 2/3 the tread rating of the HTS (440 tread, 100 load [your OEM tires were 102], H speed, SL construction )

As I noted above, you can use 255/55-18 tires with no problems. The diameter is very nearly identical to your existing tires.
However, if you try to go to 225/60-18 tires, it's not really that bad -- you'll be going just a bit slower than you think, which is on the safe side!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you all
That's really great. One more thing, I see a lot of 16'' Rim available, how do I know which one(s) can fit my car? Is there a range or a minimum/maximum size or some sort of an onlie calculator?
Thank you

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
The correct rim is a 5 lug 4.5", 67.1mm hub diameter, 41mm offset.

The 5x114.3mm (4.5in) bolt pattern is common, but watch out for the center hub diameter. You could pull a Toyota rim and the hole would be too small to fit (Toyota ran 60.1mm hub diameter). Also watch the offset - can mess with your handling a bit by throwing off the geometry.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts