Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 ELANTRA GT at 111k miles and have gone thru 3 tire sets of 4 tires.
I buy the tire protection plan with my new tires, and get free 4 wheel alignment,
free balance and rotate every 3 - 5 K miles, my tires wear evenly but do not last
more than 33-34 K miles.
1 set of General Altimax RT-43 tires was returned at 3k due to Tracking problem on Grooved
roads in the Winter time !

I live in rural flat land and do not drive like a maniac.

I am now looking at Nokian Entyre 2.0 tires to replace the current set.

Does anyone have any experience with this tire on the Elantra GT ??

·
Registered
862 Posts
in 16" size..... Michelin Defenders have a highly rated tread life. They are not available in 17" size matching the OEM size or i would be using them myself.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I have 17in General Altimax RT-43s now almost 4 years, still in great condition. Had a flat last year and Canadian Tire rated them as still about 2/3 tread when they gave me a new one.

I don't recall last time I had alignment, but I did have the rears shimmed about 6-7 years ago (warpdriv would recall actually when this was done as he was there as well). I am using KYB shocks on the rears as well, which might have mitigated any issues with the Altimax's that you encountered.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have 17in General Altimax RT-43s now almost 4 years, still in great condition. Had a flat last year and Canadian Tire rated them as still about 2/3 tread when they gave me a new one.

I don't recall last time I had alignment, but I did have the rears shimmed about 6-7 years ago (warpdriv would recall actually when this was done as he was there as well). I am using KYB shocks on the rears as well, which might have mitigated any issues with the Altimax's that you encountered.
Octavian,

Were you experiencing uneven rear tire wear prior to having your rears shimmed ?
All my tires on the front and rear have all worn evenly.

I had been running KYB rear shocks as well as a rear stabilizer bar on my vehicle when I had the Tracking Problem with my 16in General Altimax RT-43s.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Octavian,

Were you experiencing uneven rear tire wear prior to having your rears shimmed ?
All my tires on the front and rear have all worn evenly.

I had been running KYB rear shocks as well as a rear stabilizer bar on my vehicle when I had the Tracking Problem with my 16in General Altimax RT-43s.
I don't think so. I changed my tires pretty quickly after getting the car to some Coopers and when they came off they were still in OK condition.

But having the rears shimmed helped with the car being straight. The KYBs made the biggest difference, but the shimmed rears really solidified it for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts