Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally toasted my POFS Hankooks past the wear bars (23k miles), need new tires before the snow starts flying in the next 30 days.

Seems like the Continental ExtremeContact DWS have one of the best all season ratings, especially for snow traction.

How much are you guys paying out the door for a set? I'm hoping to find someone sell them to me for under $800 out the door.

Any other tires I should look at?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the Continental Extreme DWS on my previous car and loved those tires. Will probably get the DWS on my Sonata when it is time to replace.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got quoted $800 even out the door by Big O. Fair deal for DWS?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I just bought my SE 2.0T and I am starting to think about a better AS tire. The H426 surveys on Tirerack scare the heck out of me. As for the DWS, Tirerack's conclusion was;

"Delivering a good blend of road manners and handling, with a reputation for very good winter traction."

If good snow traction for an All Season tire is tiebreaker then DWS is your tire. I have also read good reviews about the Cooper Zeon RS3-A, the OTD price is $710 for me in MN.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yoshi, is MPG the same? The Conti DWS is on the top of my list after some research for Ultra High Performance tires. I'll probably get it from tirerack or discountire unless anyone know where I can get it cheaper?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have 45k miles on my stock set. Still have a little life left according to discount tire. Will pick up a set in November.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yoshi, is MPG the same? The Conti DWS is on the top of my list after some research for Ultra High Performance tires. I'll probably get it from tirerack or discountire unless anyone know where I can get it cheaper?
I actually got about 2-3mpg better per gallon on the DWS.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Conti DWS are the way to go. Had em, loved em, only changed to Michelin Primacys due to price ($100 savings on the set).

2.0-- as a fellow upper MW guy, I can tell you that these are the only tires to have on for our winters. The car basically walks through snow!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Conti DWS are the way to go. Had em, loved em, only changed to Michelin Primacys due to price ($100 savings on the set).

2.0-- as a fellow upper MW guy, I can tell you that these are the only tires to have on for our winters. The car basically walks through snow!
I was wondering how you find the Michelin Primacy tires stack up to the Contis. I haven't found many tire shops in my area that carry the DWS but I can get the Michelins easily, so I'm curious of what you think of them. Are they close enough to Contis? Would you recommend them overall?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'd like to know too. The primacys are what I'm looking at also because of price. That and some Yokohamas.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just pulled the trigger, ordered the DWS through Discount Tire. $804 out the door (7% tax), includes their road hazard warranty. Probably will get them installed next week, just in time for the snow! Will post up initial thoughts. Just know they can't be any worse than the POFS Hankooks! Costco quoted me mid $700's for the Michelins, not much less than the Contis.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I checked out another Ultra High Performance Tire (UHPT) and saw the new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. Has very good reviews from everyone. Here is Tirerack's thoughts on it compared to other leading tires: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=177
So I'm thinking about these but they are about $200/each for our tire size though from Tirerack and Discounttire doesn't have it :(

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks like a good tire, not sure if I want to spend over $1k on tires for this car lol. I love the Michelin LTX M/S2's on my wife's Durango, definitely see why it ranked so high on Tirerack.

I see a lot of positive snow reviews for the DWS, so I'm hoping I chose another good tire. If you want a good read, check out the reviews for our Hankook tire on Tirerack....lol. "Wouldn't even recommend these for the ex wife!"

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Had the DWS in 3" of snow this week. Much better than the POS Hankooks. Stopping on plowed snow/ice is typical. My wife's 07 Durango 4x4 with Michelin LTX M/S2 is much better, obviously. Going up my slight uphill driveway from a stand still is doable but car wants to sideways sometimes. Hankooks took much more work.

Lease is up in 15 months. Going to trade it in for a '15 WRX or '15 Legacy GT (if they make it) in 12 months from now (before next winter). I miss AWD.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Before I traded my 11 I was shopping for the Conti DWS tires. The hyundai dealer in Carlsbad Ca was willing to order and install them for a little over $800 but was willing to price match.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts