Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started late in the summer and didn't let up. Metal cooling? Exhaust? Never experienced it before.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I cant hear it...

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
You're going need to be a bit more specific than that.

·
Banned
998 Posts
hmmm... before or after you stop/start the engine?

I guess you might be talking about "metallic clicking" after stopping the car. If so you can hear exhaust/cat. converter cooling off... normal "thingy"

·
Registered
153 Posts
hmmm... before or after you stop/start the engine?

I guess you might be talking about "metallic clicking" after stopping the car. If so you can hear exhaust/cat. converter cooling off... normal "thingy"
That was my fist guess too.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
There are two clicks that come immediately to mind as normal:

1. The three under-hood clicks and the one interior click that come after engine shutdown when the electronic power steering is turning off.

2. The clicking of the exhaust/catalytic converter after the engine has been shut off. Of all the cars we own, my car is the quietest in this regard. In fact, it didn't do it at all when the car was new.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
The only sound I hear is from my computer's mouse.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
That's the metal of the catalytic converted and exhaust contracting as they cool back down. Totally normal.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Ping! Ping!! Ping!!!!!

PING!

Sorry kids. i had just left my car to head to a recording studio when I heard the loud pinging from underneath the car. PING! Grabbed my phone and took a short video and then it uploaded to my DropBox.

I find this REALLY loud for (PING!!) a relatively new car (or any car for that matter). Never heard it when the car was new and over the course of a year's worth of driving. Strange. PING!!!

Does your car "ping" that loudly?

Here's the link to the video:

http://sparklearning.org/PING.m4v

·
22,793 Posts
I figured it was 8 o'clock by the number of chimes I heard. I'm sorry, couldn't help myself. I'd almost wager it's the catalytic converter's or exhaust system's metal contracting. Or, it was really 8 o'clock. :grin:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I figured it was 8 o'clock by the number of chimes I heard. I'm sorry, couldn't help myself. I'd almost wager it's the catalytic converter's or exhaust system's metal contracting. Or, it was really 8 o'clock. :grin:

Might as well be as the PING! is so loud, I take on a side job as being the town crier or bell tower operator.

MahsTer....MAHSTER!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Mine has done this on several occasions. Sound like catalytic converter cooling. The heat expands the metal and then the cooling contracts it and causes the pinging sound.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts