Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
P3g is the code from the Korean built cars, color looks the same until viewed side by side, p3g is darker and has more metallic look than p3. P3g touch up paint will not match p3, as for the g at the end of the code I know it does not stand for gloss, I believe it's just a thing for different color formulas for color with the same name. Hope this helps

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
P3g is the code from the Korean built cars, color looks the same until viewed side by side, p3g is darker and has more metallic look than p3. P3g touch up paint will not match p3, as for the g at the end of the code I know it does not stand for gloss, I believe it's just a thing for different color formulas for color with the same name. Hope this helps

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
thank you for that clarification

it should serve several people including me

·
Registered
242 Posts
Bump....
Well it's happened to me, a stone chip on my 2014 Harbour Grey Elantra and I want to dive on it as well.
Tyler were you able to find the basic P3 touch up paint?
My internet searches keep showing my paint colour is associated with sonatas, and I can't just find the standard P3. nothing at Canadian tire.
Thanks for any help

·
22,793 Posts
Welcome to my world: Not your gray scenarios, but similar in another color scheme: Pearl White in 2011/2012 and Shimmering White Metallic in 2013. Same basic colors as I was led to believe by anyone professing to be an automotive paint expert. But here's the glitch, the codes vary: WJ and WJR, respectively. And I'm still not clear about how it all sorts out in the big picture. But the WJR touch-up paint (based on VIN# search at dealer's) was an exact match.

They don't make it easy, do they? Who sits in an office suite all day and thinks this stuff up? I want their job! :grin:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Crazy eh?
Thanks Rich, I called the parts department at the dealership and asked if they have any P3 for my 2014 in stock. I knew he hit the same snag that we did when he said 'something's not right, can I have your phone number'?
Expecting he was going to call me back, he hesitated and said, "I just ran your vin number and it's the right one."
So I ordered it, with the hopes that following your lead that the vin number is boss, so P3G it is.
Regardless the mark is in such an inconspicuous place that hopefully the application will prove that it was the right decision.

·
22,793 Posts
You should be fine. While you're waiting, stop by a dollar store, Walmart, etc. and pick up an "ultra fine tipped" artist's brush. Sure makes for a better finished look with the touch up's.

·
22,793 Posts
Will do, best to use something with more precision than the curling broom they supply
I never thought of it that way. And that's exactly what it feels like when you approach that itty-bitty chip spot with that applicator.

It's like being a 5-year old and your 300 pound grandma holds you to her bosom while she plants a big sloppy wet kiss on your cheek! Ugh...:eek: Run, Forrest, run!!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
LOL or your just a kid and your Father says ' come on Martin we have to go now. Go give Aunt Mildred a kiss goodbye."
Aunt Mildred was my mothers sister who obviously had a hormone issue. The moustache was proof of that.YUCK
Btw dealership called this am, my $15 bottle of paint is in

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
A toothpick dipped in the touch up paint then applied to the chip "should" allow the paint to flow in.
I use DRcolorchip.com for my small repairs. Both on my powder white pearl Sonata and my laser red pearl metallic mustang.

·
22,793 Posts
I have used the toothpick, before. I sliced it at an angle and did the magic work with that. Pretty amazing results. For the tiniest of places, I have also resorted to using the artist's brush. Both work well.

I would suggest a trial run on some cardboard or newspaper to "gain that acquired touch," as it were. Gotta walk before you can run. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Update, surgery is scheduled for tomorrow.
Picked up both the paint from dealership and fine pointed artist brush from Wally World this morning.
It's raining this morning. We live in a Condo so I want to do it to tommorrow outside for better light and practise the procedure on cardboard upstairs.
Both surgeon and patient are a nervous wreck.Will hold press conference once the patient is rolled back into the recovery room.^_^

·
Registered
242 Posts
A toothpick dipped in the touch up paint then applied to the chip "should" allow the paint to flow in.
I use DRcolorchip.com for my small repairs. Both on my powder white pearl Sonata and my laser red pearl metallic mustang.
Watched the you-tube video on that product. Love the finished result and the basis of the application is ensuring the thickness of the repair matches the existing paint.
I'd get it in a snap but not sold in Canada so shipping cost up here makes it that much more expensive. If I had more than 1 chip I'd get it though

·
22,793 Posts
Update, surgery is scheduled for tomorrow.
Picked up both the paint from dealership and fine pointed artist brush from Wally World this morning.
It's raining this morning. We live in a Condo so I want to do it to tommorrow outside for better light and practise the procedure on cardboard upstairs.
Both surgeon and patient are a nervous wreck.Will hold press conference once the patient is rolled back into the recovery room.^_^
If I lived closer, you could call me in for a consult. Since this is just an outer skin blemish, I think we can get by with a local instead of resorting to full anesthesia. Just in case, have a crash cart full of iced beer available should the procedure take a wrong turn and you have to call a code. :laughing: Good luck, Doc. :grin:

·
Registered
242 Posts
IMMEDIATE PRESS RELEASE !!!
I'm sure everyone has had a sleepless night pending this update but I'm happy to report that the procedure was a complete success. The old girl is resting fine, so everyone's prayers have been answered. Here's the highlights of the whole chain of events and procedure.
-the paint from the dealership was a pen like apparatus with paint on one end and clear coat on the other. Works like a magic marker but you have to press hard to make it flow.
-I knew the pen would not work for a controlled application so I took Rich's advice and found the pointiest brush I could find. Dollar-ama had a pack of them so I didn't even use the single Walmart one I bought.
-I used the lid of a margarine container, shook the pen and put a dab of paint on it.Then I picked up a small dap on the tip of a brush. Gauge how much you need but never take more than you need.
-without touching the surrounding area of the "crater" methodically dab the paint in the centre and let it flow. This paint is thin as heck (so it flows down the felt pen tip) so it does travel well.
- Don't over do the thickness applied at one time as you will loose control.
-Don't worry if you can't fill it, let the first coat dry for a couple hours and come back and do it again. it builds up faster than you would think and the colour match really starts to take shape.
-don't do it in direct sunlight. I did for one of them and I actually saw it bubbling.When your eyes are only 3 inches from the incision you don't miss a thing. I immediately had some block the direct sun and it immediately stopped.
My crater is 90% filled. One more tiny application then going to finish off with the clear coat in the same manner.

So there you have it folks, happy ending and the makings of a good TLC special.
I will take a shot of it once completed. I was stupid enough not to take a b4 pic sorry.

Thanks for everyone advice on this.

·
22,793 Posts
Success! Congrats! Glad it worked out well for you!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts