Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there

i owned accent MC 2008 from 4 months ago it now (65000 Km)

the old owner was using shell 15-50 the yellow one ( as most of owners in egypt use )

when i checked MC manual i find that they said i should use 5-20 , 5-30

i am from egypt and temp. here im summer above 40 C

i driving it daily short trip to / from work
driving easy not fast

i heared from my friends i should use 5-40 , 10-40
but i think i should go for 5-50

·
Registered
81 Posts
i am using 20w50 from Jeddah, KSA...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am using 20w50 from Jeddah, KSA...
that grade i was using it in my old car ( fiat 131 twin cam)
many told me to go for it but 15-50 is familer to car till now

i see that you have 16/50/205 rims
is that ok with this car i cant not find that size on the label

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i didnt have the owner's manual for this car i bought it used

the manual from internet said 5-20,5-30
i think that manual for cold country not for hot temp like egypt

here in hyundai agent they use shell 15-50

·
Registered
81 Posts
according to the manual...
they require SHELL API-SM rating oils... then the range is according to the temp range in your area... if SM rated oils are not around, older API-SL rating will do...
since the temp range of 20w50 was in between -10 to 50 celcius which is suited in the Middle East...
just my 2halala share for you...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
according to the manual...
they require SHELL API-SM rating oils... then the range is according to the temp range in your area... if SM rated oils are not around, older API-SL rating will do...
since the temp range of 20w50 was in between -10 to 50 celcius which is suited in the Middle East...
just my 2halala share for you...
also in internet manual there is a chart i find 20-50 in it

but i want to use Fully Synthetic oil engine not Mineral like shell 15-50
i think it will be better for engine

i use my car daily 10 - 15 km
home to work and back

i didnt understand the mean of "just my 2halala share for you"

Attachments

·
Registered
907 Posts
You will find that t he shell oil you are currently putting into your engine meets the specs hyundai requires.

Sure it's not synthetic but it is not doing any harm.

·
Registered
538 Posts
20W50 Won't hurt the engine, I run 15W40 here in Australia we get summer temperatures high 30's low 40's as well. The engine runs much quieter using 15W40, with 10W30 it made rattling scraping noises when hot. In Australia we would say 'Just my 2 Dollars worth'. It means 'here is my information, you judge the value'. It is not meant to cause offence.

·
Registered
81 Posts
whatever feels you comfortable and happy... that's make you surely satisfied with your car...
i use... Shell, Petromin, and now MOBIL SUPER... all in 20w50...
sometimes i use MOBIL 1 but it was expensive and you need to drain every 2months(8k-10k kms) which leave a very dark oil in your crank... so then i decided to stick on 20w50 as i am changing it every month (3k-5k kms) with much cheaper costs ($43/change on synth while $14 for dino oils)... it was proven that cars with good oil change habit will last at least 5years and more without any internal changes/repairs...
so far... i am running 153k kms already in my car using that 20w50 oils without any damage in the engine(only the routine belt and filter changes)...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
get your manual off www.hmaservice.com. its free. PDF copy. hit OM at the top. use what manual specifies.
everyone knows what i think by now, so i'm just going to stay out of this thread from here on out.
sorry but the website didnt work with my every time i tried to register i got error
Accept my apologies I feel that something annoyed you

whatever feels you comfortable and happy... that's make you surely satisfied with your car...
i use... Shell, Petromin, and now MOBIL SUPER... all in 20w50...
sometimes i use MOBIL 1 but it was expensive and you need to drain every 2months(8k-10k kms) which leave a very dark oil in your crank... so then i decided to stick on 20w50 as i am changing it every month (3k-5k kms) with much cheaper costs ($43/change on synth while $14 for dino oils)... it was proven that cars with good oil change habit will last at least 5years and more without any internal changes/repairs...
so far... i am running 153k kms already in my car using that 20w50 oils without any damage in the engine(only the routine belt and filter changes)...
i didnt use my car that much i have it from 4 months and i use it for 3250 KM

at last i got a photo copy from a friend from his manual (MC 2010) in it they said 5w-30 and api SM
here is the photo ( in arabic )
http://imageshack.com/a/img820/7343/kg56.jpg

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
sorry but the website didnt work with my every time i tried to register i got error
Accept my apologies I feel that something annoyed you
i could care less what oil you want to put in your car, don't worry about annoying me.

regardless if you can get the manual or not, your very first post said:

when i checked MC manual i find that they said i should use 5-20 , 5-30
i think you answered your own question there.

and then you managed to get a manual, further answering the question.

all anyone should recommend is what i said from the start use what the manual specifies.

that's all i have been saying from the start. if you want to use something else for some reason, go ahead. its your car.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i could care less what oil you want to put in your car, don't worry about annoying me.

regardless if you can get the manual or not, your very first post said:

i think you answered your own question there.

and then you managed to get a manual, further answering the question.

all anyone should recommend is what i said from the start use what the manual specifies.

that's all i have been saying from the start. if you want to use something else for some reason, go ahead. its your car.
this is my fault
i didnt said that i just bought this used car 4 monthes ago without the old owner didnt give me any manual
so i got the manual from internet
so when i read that they recommended 5-20 , 5-30
i confused
i know that hyundai agent in egypt use shell 15-50 the yellow can

so i think the manual from internet is for a cold country
till i find a friend that give me that photo copy from egyptian manual
i thank you for giveing me that advice

·
Registered
538 Posts
Zero gravity, yes 5W20 or 5W30 is the Hyundai 'preferred grade', However, a big However, on the same page they show a chart of 'acceptable alternate grades' that lists 20W50 as perfectly fine in ambient temperatures above about 7 Degree C. from memory. Not everybody lives in a frozen tundra. Ask yourself some simple questions, What do Hyundai sell?. If their cars lived forever how long would they stay in business? They want their engines to last exactly 5 years and 1 Day, then they want you to buy another Hyundai. From a cynical Hyundai owner who now does all his own repairs and maintenance, stuff Hyundais warranty, my car never had any issues until AFTER I took it in for service.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts