Hyundai Forums banner

141 - 156 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have to emphasize how impossible it is to drive for MPG in the city, in rush hour. If I'd be too slow, I might get shot... :)
If the performance is that bad, i'll have to replace it with the ES300H; those never fail below 35...
Any suggestions?
My experience has been the opposite. I get the best MPG in slower traffic conditions. Yes, the jack rabbit starts and stops will kill any MPG, but if you drive smooth, this is where it shines the most. You're not going to get shot...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Your picture shows well over 29 MPG on that 10+ mile trip. What are you doing to get 29 MPG? Driving 80+ MPH uphill? In Sport mode? Not using any of the EV capability?
Sorry, I wasn't clear; I got 44 mpg on the highway coming home from work (straight shot, door-to-door), I get 29 mpg combined city and highway.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Well, since you got a pretty acceptable result on this trip for MPG, it seems that your 29 combined indicates there is some issue with your driving style? 29 MPG is way off the rating and I personally can get an easy 55+ MPG combined. I'm doubtful there is any issue with the vehicle. Is this your first Hybrid?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, since you got a pretty acceptable result on this trip for MPG, it seems that your 29 combined indicates there is some issue with your driving style? 29 MPG is way off the rating and I personally can get an easy 55+ MPG combined. I'm doubtful there is any issue with the vehicle. Is this your first Hybrid?
Yes, this is my first hybrid (and, my first automatic transmission in over 25 years).

I don't think it's my style of driving, I've been driving since Sheriff Andy took Opie fishing. I think that you are pulling my leg saying that you get 55+ mpg combined, what do you get straight highway?

I live in a city that has 7 hills and 10,000 valleys with red lights on every other corner, maybe that has something to do with it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Yes, this is my first hybrid (and, my first automatic transmission in over 25 years).

I don't think it's my style of driving, I've been driving since Sheriff Andy took Opie fishing. I think that you are pulling my leg saying that you get 55+ mpg combined, what do you get straight highway?

I live in a city that has 7 hills and 10,000 valleys with red lights on every other corner, maybe that has something to do with it.
Yes, it is your driving style then combined with your geography... Time to learn some new tricks lol.

No, I am serious about my MPG. It is crazy I know. But with my commute and driving style, I am able to achieve a best tank full of 65.5 MPG with over 900 miles from the tank. It is called hypermile. You can do it with any vehicle and my 16 HSH responds awesome. Regular driving, I can get an easy 50 to 55 MPG still combined. You got to take it easy up the hills and then regenerate going downhills. Same with the the lights and stops. Don't stop fast and regenerate what you can and then don't jack-rabbit starts. Be smooth.

I know it is a lot of reading but take a look at this Stickie:
https://www.hyundai-forums.com/sonata-all-hybrid-models-yf-lf/230329-teach-me-drive-mileage.html

·
Registered
456 Posts
Does the 2018 model have the center dash display for your driving style? The one that displays in percentages Normal/Economical/Aggressive? On the '16 it's on the same panel as the trip mileage displays.

I'm always 0-2% Aggressive and at least 50% Normal. When my wife drives my car she pushes the Aggressive percentage into the 30's. (I reset it when it's her turn to drive so it doesn't average her numbers down.)

On the '16 it seems pretty basic, mainly how much you're sticking your foot in it and pushing the engine power above 40%.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does the 2018 model have the center dash display for your driving style? The one that displays in percentages Normal/Economical/Aggressive? On the '16 it's on the same panel as the trip mileage displays.

I'm always 0-2% Aggressive and at least 50% Normal. When my wife drives my car she pushes the Aggressive percentage into the 30's. (I reset it when it's her turn to drive so it doesn't average her numbers down.)

On the '16 it seems pretty basic, mainly how much you're sticking your foot in it and pushing the engine power above 40%.
The picture that I used for my avatar is the default screen on my dash display, if I page down, I get my speedometer then, I get a "MPG" bar graph display when I page down farther. Nothing "judgmental" just tells me if I'm driving efficiently or not.

That screens shows what happening to your gas mileage when you accelerate.

I am more than a little bit satisfied with my MPG but a few more could not hurt; funny thing is, I did not realize that my "Sonata SE" was a Hybrid until I got it home and started to read the manual.

I like sporty cars, for me it's a trade off between "MPG" and "Head-jerking" acceleration. I certainly would not be happy driving a Prius or driving my Sonata like it was a Prius.

·
Registered
392 Posts
One thing I love about my SE is that I can get 60+ MPG in it if I want to and then there is 204 HP and in Sport Mode it is quite peppy and such. A little best of both worlds.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2015 Sonata Hybrid. For four years now, I've seen 32-33MPG for mixed mileage, 35-36MPG for mostly highway driving, and 38MPG driving constant 65-70MPH for the entire tank (during vacations).

My trip computer *always* reads high. Gas receipts and simple math prove it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I like sporty cars, for me it's a trade off between "MPG" and "Head-jerking" acceleration. I certainly would not be happy driving a Prius or driving my Sonata like it was a Prius.

A little funny story... I stop at a red light and to my right arrives that brand new Challenger, with the "D..k Extenders" and its driver plays the accelerator, generating ear exploding noise. It's already known here, that if that extender is installed, the engine is the tiniest (in that case it's a big car, with a 2.7L v6, I think). I felt like enjoying the torque, the electric motor gives us and I also had it 3/4 charged. The guy with those extenders (huge mufflers) is all ready to "attack". I selected Sport and when the green light came I hit the pedal and OMG, I could hear the "D..k Extenders" screaming way, way behind me and I had the biggest lough... :laugh:

I didn't know my HSHLU is that capable...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’ve had my 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid for 2 years now, and it has almost 32,000 miles on it. I commute 32 miles each way to work, so most of the miles are on the freeway, although it’s usually stop and go traffic. I track all of my fuel-ups and maintenance in the Fuelly app on my phone, and my average MPG is 40.7 My best ever was 48 and my worst ever was 32.9. I wish it was a few higher, but it’s definitely better than the 2013 HSH I had before this one.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Just went over to Fuelly since I've recorded every fill-up on my '16 LU. Highest per-tank is 52 and lowest is 30, no doubt because I was using the remote start a lot in the winter. Average is 41.1 and I drive 35 miles each way for work. The last-year graph matches my recollection and pretty much your experience. Looks like 5.7 cents of fuel per mile over the last two years.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a 2015 Sonata Hybrid. For four years now, I've seen 32-33MPG for mixed mileage, 35-36MPG for mostly highway driving, and 38MPG driving constant 65-70MPH for the entire tank (during vacations).

My trip computer *always* reads high. Gas receipts and simple math prove it.

Your experience is closest to mine with 2016 Hybrid Limited.

These people in upper 40’s and beyond are beyond belief for a full tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Located in North Central Massachusetts, my drive is uphill to work and downhill from work. Mostly highway about 25 miles round trip, averaging 35-mpg to work and 55-mpg from work. Pulled 61 mpg the other day coming home, 😀 I’m pretty happy with my results. These numbers are based on the car computer. Going to Nashville in September curious to see what I average on that trip. 😁
2016 Sonata Hybrid 30,000 mi.

141 - 156 of 156 Posts