Hyundai Forums banner

121 - 140 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I rarely exceed 40% on the power indicator and usually hit 20-25% max when the traffic light turns green. Running mobil-1 synthetic 0-20w and keep the air filter clean so my figure is total miles driven divided by total gallons and averages just over 31mpg. I do run 70-75 mph on the interstate but other than that I'm nearly hypermiling driving style. Maybe it should be better but the dealer indicates everything is in order and no fault codes?

·
Registered
456 Posts
'16 Limited Ultimate. Does your mileage calculation match (reasonably) with the car's calculations?

The absolute worst mileage I've ever gotten was 37 MPG in the dead of winter when the heater never shuts off and I run the heated steering wheel and heated driver's seat all the time. Right now I'm back in the mid-40's. Earlier when I did not need to run either the heater or the air conditioner it was in the low 50's.

How many miles do you get on a tank and where do you usually fill it? I'm usually in the low 600's when I refill at an eighth of a tank.

Do you always fill up at the same station? Maybe they're just over-charging you.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The last post reminded me, we should make this a more generic "what mileage are you getting" rather than one specifically devoted to 2016s. I think the question is, do we just want one thread for everyone, or do we want a thread for the YF (2011-2015) and another thread for the LF (2016-) Sonata Hybrids? And could whoever is now working with the admin/moderators here request they change the stickied posts to reflect the change?

·
Registered
389 Posts
I think they should be separated as well regarding the 2016+ as there was significant change the ICE and a few other minor items.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I rarely exceed 40% on the power indicator and usually hit 20-25% max when the traffic light turns green. Running mobil-1 synthetic 0-20w and keep the air filter clean so my figure is total miles driven divided by total gallons and averages just over 31mpg. I do run 70-75 mph on the interstate but other than that I'm nearly hypermiling driving style. Maybe it should be better but the dealer indicates everything is in order and no fault codes?
While the info you provided indicates everything is good, there's something going on that's preventing you from achieving high mpg's. Here are some factors that will impact your mileage:

• Depending on the season, do you start your hybrid to heat up or cool down before driving off? Or do you find yourself dropping someone off at the store and you sit and wait in your car with the power on? Eliminate these habits if you do.
  • Do you coast when you see a slow down ahead, or a yellow/red light? It's amazing for me to watch people speed up to a stop sign or light. Why are they in such a hurry to stop? But you have to careful not coast so much to the point you're holding up traffic. Learning when to coast without any brakes applied will likely have the biggest impact on your mileage - if the rest of your driving style is good.
  • Driving style - very subjective point here - one may think they're driving for economy when in reality they're not. Many drivers are either pressing on the gas pedal or brake pedal - there's no in-between. It's not just a hybrid car thing, that's the way they drive in any vehicle. They'll never get great mileage from anything they drive.
    • We don't know where you live and what climate you're dealing with. Cold winter driving hurts your mileage no matter what your drive.
    • You may have stated this before, but how long is your average drive? 1 to 5-mile trips barely gets your car warmed up for efficient driving. Longer drives will help. Also hwy driving 70-75 mph should be netting you around 40 mpg easily.

·
Registered
59 Posts
One point I forgot to add is keep tabs on your driving style monitor. To achieve your best mileage, your 'driving style' should always show 0% Aggressive. Your split between Economical and Normal will vary, but the higher the Eco score % is, the higher your mileage will be. I'm typically between 70-80% Eco and 20-30% Normal and find I can drive with traffic without being one of those 'slow jerks driving a hybrid'.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was comparing EPA ratings of various mid-sized hybrid sedans, including the Sonata. Notice that Sonata is now approaching the bottom of the pack? Well I also looked at real world mileage logs at Fuelly.com and FuelEconomy.gov. The Sonata is achieving the same real world mileage as the better EPA rated Malibu and Accord Hybrids. Hmmm, funny how that works, and why it's not reflected in the EPA ratings? I've owned two Prius's, and while you can get great mileage, the CVT's are awful to drive. The Sonata is the best driving hybrid I've experienced, but unfortunately it's not the best driving car I've owned. While I like it, I don't absolutely love it. But it's going to be a keeper for me.

My previous Passat TDI was THE best driving vehicle I've owned, and I really miss it, to the point of me lurking online looking for a low mileage 2015 model that's been "fixed". My heads say "no", my heart says "yes", then "no", then "yes", then.... You get the point. I know VW diesels aren't ever coming back, so then I was thinking about a Chevy Equinox diesel, and while I'll like the engine, the vehicle driving experience may not be what I want. The Passat TDI was one well wrapped package that had everything I was looking for in one vehicle. Maybe one day another vehicle will come along that I will love to drive again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Getting 50 mpg on 2017 PHEV

So far logged 4k miles on new 2017 Sonata PHEV, all winter driving and happy to see average consumption settling at 50mpg (fuelly log). Of course that includes some "gasoline free" miles from short city trips that are all-battery powered, but I reckon 80% of my miles-to-date are highway miles driven at 55mph.

·
Registered
10 Posts
2017 HEV. First 2000 miles averaging 53.1 MPG. I do drive very gently and generally at or slightly below the 70 MPH speed limit on my one hour commute. My driving style indicated is 91/9/0 (eco/norm/agg). There is one extremely long trip to the CA coast through the mountains in that 2000 miles and that really dinged the mileage (~1.5 MPG). Yes, everyone passes me. Yes, they pay for the privilege of getting there ~5% sooner. I'm as yet unable to post pics so you will just have to take my word for it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
2017 HEV. First 2000 miles averaging 53.1 MPG. I do drive very gently and generally at or slightly below the 70 MPH speed limit on my one hour commute. My driving style indicated is 91/9/0 (eco/norm/agg). There is one extremely long trip to the CA coast through the mountains in that 2000 miles and that really dinged the mileage (~1.5 MPG). Yes, everyone passes me. Yes, they pay for the privilege of getting there ~5% sooner. I'm as yet unable to post pics so you will just have to take my word for it.
That is awesome and I feel the same as you do regarding the impatient people paying the price for their driving style...

Anyway, I have my MPG programmed to reset at every tank full. Do you not reset yours? Or you have a more elaborate tracking system?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Haven't posted in ages, but I still drop in and read from time to time.

Last tank fill, 1248 km, 775.5 miles travelled, combined city/hwy, using math, not the dash, 4.3594 l/100 km, 53.9951 US mpg, 63.7984 IMP mpg. 26710 km on the 2016 HSH Ultimate. Driving styles, 99% ECO, 1% Normal, 0% Aggressive. (all tanks but one, same splits)

Overall average from date of purchase

5.1451 l/100 km, 45.7479 US mpg, 54.9418 IMP mpg

Considering 2 Canadian Winters, I have nothing to complain about regarding my mileage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Don't believe the computer's MPG calculations. It is always way off. *Always* do the math yourself (miles driven / gallons you just pumped -- it's simple math). Trip computer will say 36-38 MPG. In reality it is more like 33MPG on mixed travel. Pure highway about 37MPG with my 2015 Sonata Hybrid.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I ALWAYS do my hand calculations along with monitoring the computer output for MPG. I have found that it is fairly accurate. If there is any error it would be that the hand calculations are slightly lower MPG. Depending on how you fill up, where you fill up, and condition of the pumps, it is VERY easy to add in extra fuel, skew your consistency, and throw off your hand calculation accuracy.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I ALWAYS do my hand calculations along with monitoring the computer output for MPG. I have found that it is fairly accurate. If there is any error it would be that the hand calculations are slightly lower MPG. Depending on how you fill up, where you fill up, and condition of the pumps, it is VERY easy to add in extra fuel, skew your consistency, and throw off your hand calculation accuracy.
On the YF Hybrid, it seems that the odometer underreports mileage driven. There are a couple of ways to test it, such as comparing the odometer to what your GPS claims you are driving, or to test it against the mileage markers on the highway. What many of us have found is that the computer displayed MPG is very close to actual, calculating by hand and adjusting for the underreporting of mileage by the odometer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
As mentioned before, I drive for UBER, 2016 HSH Ultimate.
I'm doing combined, hand calculated, ~40mpg,
Yesterday, for several hours, I did short trips in the city only, stop and go, over 100 miles and the display deteriorated to BELOW 20MPG!!!!!!!!!!
I noticed that I'm unable to charge the hybrid battery. It was almost all the time below the quarter charge. At the worst, it showed 16 MILES PER GALLON :(
Later at night, I had few rides on the freeway AND IT STARTED IMPROVING, but still in the 20's.
I then zero'ed the display and to my joy it started to run "normally".
I ended yesterday with 44.8 on the dial and the day summary (a 2-3 seconds display, upon turning the car off) it showed about 180 miles @ 35.5mpg.
I zero the tripA on every fill up. It showed yesterday an average speed of.... 24mph; can that be the reason for such low MPG?
Should I disconnect the battery and impose a reset for all the CPU's gang?
I have to emphasize how impossible it is to drive for MPG in the city, in rush hour. If I'd be too slow, I might get shot... :)
If the performance is that bad, i'll have to replace it with the ES300H; those never fail below 35...
Any suggestions?

121 - 140 of 156 Posts