Hyundai Forums banner

101 - 120 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I ve had my 2016 HSH limited for about a week...put 300 miles on it. I'm only getting 34 MPG..I live in MA and its been really cold but 34 is really disappointing...my driving style is 33% econ, 63% normal, 4% aggressive....is this a normal MPG for this car ? I did pump up the tires immediately after buying the car to 42PSI perhaps I should go higher?

·
Registered
456 Posts
'16 Ultimate here. One year old with 17,500 miles.

In northeast Ohio I'm getting 38 to 39 this winter. But for some reason this last tank of gas is sitting at 35 MPG just like you. When I've seen a drop like that before in the summer it was back to normal on the next tank.

Summer sits at 44 to 46 with tires at 35 psi. What is the max pressure on your tires cold? My Kumho's are 44 psi.

Your driving numbers are about the same as mine. I usually see close to 50% for Economical in the summer and "Aggressive" is never above 4% for me. One thing I've noticed about "Aggressive" is it cannot be a percentage. I can easily push it up a percent or more simply by being a bit lead-footed at the end of the tank on just one trip to work. It seems that anything over 40% power for more than a few seconds will make it jump up.

Are you using the recommended fuel of Top Tier? I've used it from Valero since I got the car. It won't make a mileage difference short-term but should reduce the garbage in the engine long-term.

·
Registered
23 Posts
thanks for the answer NXR71
cold psi was 42 I'll push it to 44 tomorrow and see if it helps...Gas is Mobil which I think is a top tier but I'll double check...I would be very happy to get the same numbers as you...I'll update this after another 300 miles or so.

·
Registered
456 Posts
It's amazing how much an outside temp affects the mileage. Once it gets above 45 or so then the heater isn't needed and the MPG really climbs. When it was in the 60's here in February I was back in the 40's.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Cold or hot temps put a drain on your mpg's - but having experienced my first winter in my Sonata Hybrid, I would say cold temps affect it more. A few little tricks can up your mpg's significantly. One thing I know to get optimal mpg's in any weather, you can't be showing any aggressive % in your driving style. I have friends who also own hybrids and can't figure out why they don't get great mpg's. Get a clue - the problem is with your right foot. Mine hovers between 65% - 80% eco, and 20% - 35% normal. I don't drive slow, keep up with traffic, and don't ever hold up traffic behind me, even if I'm the first in line at a light. I've learned to smoothly use the gas and brake pedals, anticipate coasting - let off the gas fully or partially if the light ahead just turned red or see brake lights, and start braking lightly for earlier, for longer distances, progressively adding pressure as I need to slow down more, to capture more regen. One trick I learned about in cold weather is to turn off the HVAC so the engine doesn't keep running to warm up, assuming you don't need the front defrost. Instead I use the heated seats and steering wheel when first starting on my trip, then when I reach a road where I will maintain speed for a bit, I'll turn the HVAC on. That allows the engine to stop when I'm coasting or not moving.

Side note: I haven't checked my Fuelly avg in quite some time, just keeping up with each fill-up entry on the mobile app on my phone, and just saw my avg is above 44! That was the goal I was shooting for months ago.

·
Registered
389 Posts
So far, I've owned my 2016 HSH SE for about two months as I bought it CPO with 20k miles. I'm on my third tank of fuel with 1/4 tank left. I've driven about 600 miles on this tank so far with about 150 "left to go" it says. The computer is telling me that I'm getting 57.4 MPG :). The second tank I had, the computer told me I was getting 53 MPG when it was time for refill, and I hand calculated it to be 50 MPG. I was VERY pleased and looking forward to an even better hand calc result this third tank...

So Cal Weather makes a huge impact, as I'm not driving with any need for HVAC (hot or cold). My tires are inflated at 42 PSI (stock tires). Yes, I am driving the car very carefully to see what I can hypermill out of it though. 92% eco / 8% norm / 0% agressive. I am amazed that I get from point A to B in the same time that my co-worker race car driving buddy does in his G37 lol. I used to drive all my vehicles normal to aggressive. I do drive in on/off stop/go traffic for 15 mile each way work commute. I drive it on the streets often as well. Pretty rare (in So Cal) that I get a nice long freeway trip without traffic going to/from work or elsewhere...

After this tank, I'm going to do more "normal" driving to see what that brings. I'm super happy with this vehicle and result so far.

·
Registered
456 Posts
So here's something I noticed about the Economy/Normal/Aggressive counter thingy. If I'm in Eco mode and accelerate at above 50% it raises the Aggressive percentage. But if I put it in Sport mode and accelerate faster and further, the power gauge stays around 20% and the Aggressive number does not increase. I can't see that Sport mode could use less gas.

Once the roads are solidly dry, maybe I'll drive a whole tank in Sport mode and see how the MPG's look.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Also depends on the tire pressure, you can get better MPG by using the full load tire recommendation, but of course depends on the type of rows. You don't want to get too firm ride and break other parts by having more vibrations.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bought my 2016 HSH with ultimate package in January and have really been enjoying my 27 mile commute each way. About 50/50 hwy/city.
This car has really changed my driving habit and and I'm benefiting not only by saving money but never going over the speed limit so I don't worry about getting a speeding ticket. 45mph in city and 65mph hwy seem to be the sweet spot. Tires were inflated to 38psi cold so while I'm driving I can see it bump up to about 40-41 depending on the temp. I've been using Penzoil full synthetic since 7500 mile.

Just this morning I logged 29 miles at 48.2 MPG. This morning was about 80% hwy driving because I was a bit late to work.

It's a fantastic car all around and I've never been happier with the purchase, performance and the benefits!

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Really happy with the results we are getting with our 16 (40-42) which is about 2-3 mpg better than our 13 over similar routes. Mostly freeway here in Vegas with about 20% city streets although sometimes the city streets are faster than the freeway!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Made another fill up today having used just over 1/2 tank. Got 495.6 miles and put in 8.9 gallons. I would say I'm still VERY happy to get 55.7 MPG!!! This car is pretty amazing in that regard.

·
Registered
456 Posts
The car's mileage is really weather-dependent to me. In the winter (NE Ohio) my '16 Ultimate Limited was getting 37 to 39 MPG. Right now the temps are in the 50's and 60's so neither the heater or air conditioner are needed. It's getting 46 MPG on average and I've seen as high as 55 MPG on the way to work, 50/50 city/highway and 30 miles.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Weather and road conditions definitely have an effect.

I am getting 55MPG on an entire tank though :) since I bought it in February. Not just a trip here and there. Some trips I've gotten over 80MPG! Such as 15 mile drive to work which is slightly downhill, and the way I drive I'm in EV mode as much as possible on this trip (50/50 freeway and roads).

·
Registered
10 Posts
2017 Sonata hybrid ltd 12,000 miles divided by total gallons = 31.09 mpg. Interstate driving above 70mph drops mpg but city mileage makes the 31 cumulative mpg possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
389 Posts
2017 Sonata hybrid ltd 12,000 miles divided by total gallons = 31.09 mpg. Interstate driving above 70mph drops mpg but city mileage makes the 31 cumulative mpg possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Need to know more about driving conditions because something is wrong with the vehicle or pilot to get that far below EPA estimates...

·
Registered
389 Posts
MPG Update

With two ticks left on the fuel level (96 miles range left), I decided to fill up. Went 729.7 miles and put in 12.7 gallons. Resulting in 57.5 MPG :smile:

Computer said 58.6 MPG for this period which is within 1 MPG of the calculation.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
With two ticks left on the fuel level (96 miles range left), I decided to fill up. Went 729.7 miles and put in 12.7 gallons. Resulting in 57.5 MPG :smile:

Computer said 58.6 MPG for this period which is within 1 MPG of the calculation.
That's great mileage!:clap: It would be nice to do that, but I'm not willing to alter my driving style and I'm happy I still exceed the EPA mileage. Ekusafety and other drivers who can't get their mpg's out of low 30's are doing something wrong. If you're a lead-foot, driving in Sportmode all the time, it's quite easy to get your mpg's that low. Or maybe they're spending too much time just sitting in the car with it on and running the heat or a/c. If I start my car, I'm moving within a few seconds - even with cold starts, it's in EV mode for a few sec's. Being stuck in city traffic doesn't produce that low of mpg's for me either if the car is warmed up. If you're only driving a couple miles per trip, then a plug-in or electric would be the better choice. Can't imagine what the mileage would be if it wasn't a hybrid!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Check this one out. After filling up and driving my 14 mile route to work I got 99.9 MPG...

It is at least 70+% driving style! And this vehicle is imressive.

I own diesel trucks and a restored 71K5 Blazer with a ramjet 350, etc. So I LOVE POWER and using it. I also love that I can drive smooth in this thing and still get to my location about the same time as anyone else using my brain. Even get to work the same time as my coworker in his G37 that he gets 18 MPG (he lives near me and we are always on the same route). He is pretty jealous about my economy and the fact that the smooth driving results in the same ETA.

Added benefit to driving like this is safety and lack of tickets :).

Honestly, it is a win-win-win as I see it and when I want to feed my need, I go drive my other machines.

Attachments

101 - 120 of 156 Posts