Hyundai Forums banner

41 - 60 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Two tanks worth of experience on Sonata Hybrid

Never taken it out of ECO mode. Assuming here that the range/mpg mode information the car gives us is correct. Only filled it up twice.

First tank included fwy driving: 39.3 mpg
Second tank (all city): 33.9 mpg
First 150 miles of third tank (all city): 32:7

Wife drives it and she isn't a hotfoot. Pretty early to get a measure on the mileage. We live in Oakland, CA, lots of hills, lots of traffic.

Let's give it some time.

Mac

·
Registered
9 Posts
Picked up my car in MA then took a trip to NH and back and I manual calculated 43.9 MPG (computer was 44.3). That's with a few remote starts and some short trips where the engine was running just to warm the car.

Pretty good considering it is winter (25-39 degF) and I was driving 60-75 on the highway trying to figure out how the EV engages. I don't like ECO mode yet so I ran in normal mode.

Time will tell but so far I'm happy with the MPG.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Picked up my car in MA then took a trip to NH and back and I manual calculated 43.9 MPG (computer was 44.3). That's with a few remote starts and some short trips where the engine was running just to warm the car.

Pretty good considering it is winter (25-39 degF) and I was driving 60-75 on the highway trying to figure out how the EV engages. I don't like ECO mode yet so I ran in normal mode.

Time will tell but so far I'm happy with the MPG.
Calculating Hyundai's typical ~2% odometer error: 43.9 x .02 = .878 gives us a final of 44.78 MPG. Nice!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am taking at trip tomorrow and would like the car to compute the MPG for the trip. I could go to the Hybrid, MPG screen, and press reset, but that would reset the MPG for the tank (I think). Is there a way to compute the MPG for the trip (which may span multiple fill ups)? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I am taking at trip tomorrow and would like the car to compute the MPG for the trip. I could go to the Hybrid, MPG screen, and press reset, but that would reset the MPG for the tank (I think). Is there a way to compute the MPG for the trip (which may span multiple fill ups)? Thanks.
Don't think so and wish Hyundai would include it in the display. By resetting your average 15 minutes after the trip starts you will see what MPG your HSH is capable of. You will have many more chances to check your tank mpg.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ok, thanks. I ended up just filling the car up before I left, even though I was at half a tank.
Stats:
- 360 miles round trip
- went from 450 ft elevation to 3300 ft
- temp in the low 70s at the start and 60 on top the mountain
- raining about half the time (I think I read somewhere that this can affect mileage)
- AC on most of the time (it was stuffy)
- CC on the way up but not on the way back

48.0 MPG. Not as good as I hoped, but the car had 500 miles on it when I left, so this should get better. I definitely think MPGs do better when I drive the car instead of the CC.

That first 1/2 tank was around town, about 300 miles, and it was 43.9 MPG. I have a 7 mile each way commute, all city, that moves along pretty well. Temps have been about 60 in the morning and low to mid 70s in the afternoon. I have seen 52.9 MPG on the commute once.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Looks great :smile:but I think you got this part backwards:

- CC on the way up but not on the way back

I think the ICE/transmission will over compensate going uphill and it's best to just hold a steady throttle as much as possible. What was your mph? My wife let me drive her HSH from the mountains to the beach 66 miles 4,500-10' 45-65mph w/o CC and arrived with 61.9mpg.:smile:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yeah, I should clarify that. It is level-ish (there are rolling hills everywhere here) until the last 1/2 hour, so I had the cruise on. Then there is a 6 or 7 mile climb to go up the mountain (from 1000 ft to 3300 ft), and I never do that on cruise, then level-ish again.

I always travel speed limit +5, so it was 65 to 70 MPH.

I have a 1000+ mile trip coming up in a few weeks from NC to northern PA, mostly US routes. This will be a better sample size.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Then 48mpg is excellent mpg for that trip. All of our trips San Diego to Memphis 65-70mph were 37-39mpg but with packed clothes and goods.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I can now say something after breaking my baby in. (1K miles in less than two weeks...)

I got 39MPG on my trip from Houston to Dallas, 15% city at the max. Average freeway speed of 80 MPH. My Prius C only got 42 doing that same type of trip.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I took a 2016 Limited out for a test drive a few weeks back.

Temps were low 40s, I didn't let the Sales guy start it and warm it up. When I started the car and headed off, the car had 622 km on it and the AVG was 66 L / 100 km. Obviously tons of idle time.

The route was an 18 km local/rural drive and upon arriving back at the dealership, the single trip screen showed the distance and 4.7 L / 100 km when the car was shut off.

If it was correct, that's 50.045656 mpg US for that drive.

I have to admit it, I was a little surprised and impressed.

·
Registered
543 Posts
One thing that has really blown me away is the accuracy of the MPG on the computer. I have NEVER had a car read within 1 MPG of actual MPG. In fact, on my last fill up, the car said 37.7 MPG and I got 36.74 MPG! Pretty freaking impressive if you ask me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello everyone, purchased a 2016 Sonata Diamond White Pearl Hybrid SE and so far averaging 42.5mpg. I think I'm doing about 70% highway & 30% city driving. Pretty pleased with the mpg! :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Something I have noticed over the past few weeks...

The trip I got close to 39 MPG I used 88 octane (mid-grade) fuel, simply because I didn't want to put less than 87 octane in her. Once I returned to Houston I put 87 octane in her and I started to dip into the 34-36 MPG range. So on this last mega trip I did this week I played with the fuel types and I can say almost with a certainty that the car DOES in fact get better MPG when running mid-grade fuel. Almost 2 MPG better on average. I haven't put premium in her yet, but I have a feeling that I might get even better MPG on Premium (not by another 2 MPG more than likely.) My theory is that our car has the ability to determine what you are putting in and make "performance" adjustments to take advantage of the higher octane; and by performance I mean economy. We are running at a higher compression ratio (which used to require higher octane fuel to prevent from knocking), so I don't think I'm all that crazy to suggest that you might see gains by running higher octane. I am not sure we would see the same effect in the 2.4L motor used in the YF generation, but you never know. If anyone else is willing to "experiment" I'd love to hear your results. Cost wise I don't know that it is more beneficial to run the higher octane, but I think that is more of a regional thing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Definitely- Higher compression engines and forced induction engines need premium fuel to run at their most efficient levels. Been using premium. I notice a difference as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Right now in mostly City driving I am getting 6.5 L/100 (36.19 mpg) but had it out on the Highway when we got it and was getting 4.2 L/100 (56 mpg) .. looking forward to the summer road trip and see what it can really do. Based on what I can tell ... Vancouver to Calgary (1000 km (620 miles)) on one tank.

41 - 60 of 157 Posts