Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wayne Gerdes has demonstrated that it should be fairly easy to get over 60mpg with little basic hypermiling techniques. Remember that going over 62mph will start cutting into those mpg numbers. Please include your speed along with your mpg numbers.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/sonata-all-hybrid-models-yf-lf/230329-teach-me-drive-mileage.html

Wayne wasn't able to complete a steady state test on the 2016 HSH due to highway construction during his review.

2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid First Drive Review - Page 3 - CleanMPG Forums

·
Registered
110 Posts
i'll do some playing/testing on my way to work next week - won't be able to test at 50 or 60 mph though without getting run over. As a note - in Houston, we drive with the A/C on in August - even in the mornings it is in the high 70s and very humid.

So far, seem to be seeing about 45 mpg on my nearly all highway commute (anywhere between 60 and 70 mph)

·
Registered
237 Posts
46 mpg first 200 full tank miles on screen...approx. 1/3 65 mph and remaining town/suburbs.
38 to 40 on previous 2011Sonata hybrid with similar driving
I need to use enough gas to do a significant refill for actual reading...4 bars down now. :smile:

·
Registered
308 Posts
I wish, where I drive, that I could stay at 62 MPH, and not fear being run into from behind.... even though the speed limits on the interstates here are 55 MPH... people still drive 75+.

·
Registered
110 Posts
24 miles - 2016 HSH Limited Ultimate, relatively flat freeway/tollway (except for flyovers), average of 3 runs at each speed, CC on and A/C at 74 (Driver only and Econ mode), Ambient temps: high 70s/low 80s:

70 mph - 47.1 mpg
65 mpg - 51.9 mpg

Route: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/29.9400781,-95.2987716/29.8025031,-95.5636905/@29.7945416,-95.5396364

Typical Houston flyovers (I go through 4 of these on my commute - these do add some hills!): http://www.westhoustonarchives.org/Jan 2014a 104.JPG

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
24 miles - 2016 HSH Limited Ultimate, relatively flat freeway/tollway (except for flyovers), average of 3 runs at each speed, CC on and A/C at 74 (Driver only and Econ mode), Ambient temps: high 70s/low 80s:

70 mph - 47.1 mpg
65 mpg - 51.9 mpg
Wow:smile: I want one. That's about 10mpg better than my 2011 at those speeds.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts

70 mph - 47.1 mpg
65 mpg - 51.9 mpg

Route: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/29.9400781,-95.2987716/29.8025031,-95.5636905/@29.7945416,-95.5396364

Typical Houston flyovers (I go through 4 of these on my commute - these do add some hills!): http://www.westhoustonarchives.org/Jan 2014a 104.JPG
So about $3 in tolls, each way? ;)

·
Registered
110 Posts
So about $3 in tolls, each way? ;)
Yep - although I usually take the Eastex to I-10 (and vice versa for the return) (I am mostly counter flow on I-10) - about the same time but no tolls - I took the beltway just so I could go a longer distance at a constant speed for these tests. Nice that to see Houston folks like you on here - especially with the hybrid!

·
Registered
237 Posts
46 mpg first 200 full tank miles on screen...approx. 1/3 65 mph and remaining town/suburbs.
38 to 40 on previous 2011Sonata hybrid with similar driving
I need to use enough gas to do a significant refill for actual reading...4 bars down now. :smile:
I now have over 2800 miles mixed driving to give the following measured miles per gallon :
Avg in city 47.7
Avg on highway 49.7
Best tank 54.6
Worst tank 44.1
Avg total fuel economy 47.7
It is very sensitive to usual factors...esp the power mode and the pedal is wonderful for modulating the gas supply. I LOVE it.:smile:

·
Registered
72 Posts

Today I did about 45 miles of driving 95% highway in hilly/mountainous central California and averaged 51.8 MPG (no Cruise Control and speeds of about 60-65MPH). I was sustaining 55.7 MPG for about 10 minutes, but then the mountainous terrain really kicked up a notch. Lol.

It's so exciting to get these types of numbers considering the Prius averages 48 MPG highway. Love this car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Today I did about 45 miles of driving 95% highway in hilly/mountainous central California and averaged 51.8 MPG (no Cruise Control and speeds of about 60-65MPH). I was sustaining 55.7 MPG for about 10 minutes, but then the mountainous terrain really kicked up a notch. Lol.

It's so exciting to get these types of numbers considering the Prius averages 48 MPG highway. Love this car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very nice mpg Yaara but please update your profile to read 2016 not 2015.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Can you compare / contrast the two? MPG, Seat comfort, noise...etc...

I'd be glad to! As a reminder, I am comparing the 2015 Sonata Limited with Tech and Ultimate packages to the 2016 Sonata Hybrid with Tech package.

MPG:
My average MPG with 2015 Sonata-32. My average MPG with 2016 Hybrid-44 (although with hypermiling techniques I can get the MPG up to 40 and 51, respectively).

SEAT COMFORT:
The seats in both cars have the same shape and are both leather, although the leather in the Hybrid is a bit softer and slightly cushier. Although both have a very high-end feel. Both offer excellent back support with vertically and horizontally adjustable lumbar support.

NOISE:
Cabin noise is identical in both cars on the highway, ranging from 72-75 decibels and, as you might expect, when city driving at low speeds in electric mode, it is virtually silent (so cool!). I do have to say though, that I test drove four Sonata Hybrids (same trim level) and two of them were loud enough to create what I thought was an uncomfortable ride at 85 decibels, so if you are considering a hybrid, I recommend downloading a decibel app and testing the sound for yourself so that you can pick a quieter version. According to one dealer, some of the hybrids had a service campaign due to the tires being over-inflated, causing excessive road noise, so it's possible that the cars I test drove had this issue.

Also to note: when the hybrid switches from gas to electric it is very quiet and rather seamless.

OTHER DIFFERENCES:
In the hybrid, the trunk automatically opens about a foot or two, where as in the 2015 Sonata, the trunk simply unlatches or opens a few inches (although I'm not sure if this feature is defective in my 2015 Sonata?? Can anyone confirm?).

Another difference is that the hybrid has a mute button on the steering wheel whereas the 2015 Sonata does not (which mutes everything BUT the navigation volume). Also, The 2015 Sonata has a one-touch mute button for the navigation on the navigation screen, but to mute the hybrid navigation it requires multiple touchscreen button presses (on what I believe are the newest versions of the navigation software on both cars).

The trunk space is slightly smaller in the hybrid, but is still large enough to fit a few suitcases and does not feel prohibitively small. Most reviews mentioned that it has rather large trunk space for a hybrid.

Lastly, the body style is slightly different in the hybrid--it is more tapered in the backside (somewhat Prius-like) contributing to a low drag coefficient of .24 (lowest among all USA sold cars, along with the Tesla and two Mercedes). Also the hybrid does not have the dual exhaust that the 2015 Sonata does (which I don't think looks is quite as aesthetic without it, in my humble opinion).

Hope that helps!

1 - 20 of 156 Posts