Hyundai Forums banner

What Kind Of Oil?

12K views 56 replies 32 participants last post by  alan99 
#1 ·
Just out of curiosity what is everyone using or going to use as far as oil for summer/winter? what has worked best for you

#4 ·
I just did mine today, almost done. I just can't figure out how much oil to put in. I know it should be just under 5 quarts according to the manual but my level is still on L. I don't want to over fill it. Already waited an hour for it to settle. Do I keep pouring?

I used oem filter, that's the only way to go imo. I also used mobil 5w-30.

#5 ·
QUOTE (eyecue @ Aug 18 2010, 02:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350187
I just did mine today, almost done. I just can't figure out how much oil to put in. I know it should be just under 5 quarts according to the manual but my level is still on L. I don't want to over fill it. Already waited an hour for it to settle. Do I keep pouring?

I used oem filter, that's the only way to go imo. I also used mobil 5w-30.
On situations where oil level isn'tt easy to read. I crank the motor up for about 20 seconds and kill the motor. Wait another hour (I know, patience) and recheck. That way it can circulate through the motor.

The manual doesn't give capacity for OC with filter? I havent looked yet.

#7 ·
just using quaker state 5w30 and a fram extra guard ph9688 filter. i drive low mileage, so i do my oil changes every 2500 miles anyway. the factory oil filter was a bear to get off, let me just say. i had to punch a screw driver through to turn it because it was soooooo tight.

#10 ·
Castrol Syntec...has worked out well in my old civic 280,000 since new.

every 6000k as per canadian shedule

at dealer I supply oil and they do labour and filter 23.00 oil 25.00 total 47 plus tax

Costco syn oil change 48.00

So shopping at costco i ask the guy at the counter can you do a 2011 sonata?

Let me look up the filter as he pulled out a 2009 purolator catalog to say he could not see it listed?

How about the 2010? Nope not that either? LMAO!!!! Ummm thanksi will go to dealer.

BTW I looked it up on-line. same filter for all 07-011 2.4 engines

#15 ·
QUOTE (raleighsteeler @ Aug 19 2010, 09:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350401
I hve used mobil one with mobil filter on my last two vehicles and changing the oil every 12000 miles. Yes, every twelve thousand miles; the oil usually down less than one quart and still fairly clear. Both these cars had 60k when traded.
See no reason to change procedure with 2011 Sonata SE.
I doubt the oil is clear at 12K regardless of driving habits. Plus, color isn't indicative of whether or not the oil is usable or its ability to lubricate effectively. What was the TBN on the oil after 12K?

Currently you wont be able to put a Mobil 1 filter as one doesn't seem to cross reference to the motor that I can find yet.

Changing the oil every 12K within the 100K warranty will cause you grief if you try to make a claim on motor related issue.

#16 ·
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Aug 19 2010, 08:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350403
I doubt the oil is clear at 12K regardless of driving habits. Plus, color isn't indicative of whether or not the oil is usable or its ability to lubricate effectively. What was the TBN on the oil after 12K?

Currently you wont be able to put a Mobil 1 filter as one doesn't seem to cross reference to the motor that I can find yet.

Changing the oil every 12K within the 100K warranty will cause you grief if you try to make a claim on motor related issue.
The grief is clearly stated in the owners manual. It even says to follow the maintenance schedule to avoid voiding the warranty.

#17 ·
Friends dont let Friends use Fram oil filters. I grew up on Fram filters to speak.

Later on per a lot of research I found that they have a good filtering media but they are built with very lightweight (dare say shoddy) construciton on the inside. I have done a ton of research, I suggest Wix (also branded as Napa Gold at Napa). Excellent filtering media inside (good micron ratings) and built very robust inside also. You can go even better but at a $5-8 price point Wix is beyond compare and exceeds OEM.

Good Luck.

#19 ·
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Aug 18 2010, 02:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350189
On situations where oil level isn'tt easy to read. I crank the motor up for about 20 seconds and kill the motor. Wait another hour (I know, patience) and recheck. That way it can circulate through the motor.

The manual doesn't give capacity for OC with filter? I havent looked yet.
I think it's 4.7 liter or somewhere around there, I put about that much.

#20 ·
QUOTE (eyecue @ Aug 19 2010, 10:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350413
I don't know why people are afraid to use the oem filter, it's not expensive, and it's oem.
Because its hard to get filtering information for them. Per the Napa website, these are the specs for the Gold.

I have cut open a few Mobil 1's in the past and been pleased with construction. Since I cant get a Mobil, I get a Napa Gold and cut it open after use. Obviously I can only observe basic construction stuff.

Flow Rate : 9 - 11 gpm
Gasket I.D. (Inches) : 2.01"
Gasket I.D. (mm) : 51.05 mm
Media Type : Cellulose
Oil Filter Gasket O.D. (Inches) : 2.49"
Oil Filter Gasket O.D. (mm) : 63.25 mm
Oil Filter Height (Inches) : 3.194"
Oil Filter Height (mm) : 81.13 mm
Oil Filter O.D. (Inches) : 3.252"
Oil Filter O.D. (mm) : 82.6 mm
Oil Filter Style : Spin-On Lube Filter
Oil Filter Thread Size (mm) : 20 x 1.50 mm

T-03 Glass Enhanced Media - Best Efficiency + Capacity In Industry; Steel Coil Spring; Spiral Wound Center Tube For Industry Leading Strength; Silicon Anti-Drain Back Valve - Industry Leading Life; Holds 45% More Dirt, Last 30% Longer Than Other Leading Brands; 19 Micron

#22 ·
QUOTE (mostholycerebus @ Aug 18 2010, 01:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350190
Castrol Syntec 0w30, with whatever filter AutoZOne is running the special with. Best stuff you can find on a shelf. Stay away from any castrol syntec other than 0w30, they're mediocre.
:clap: Another fan of German Castrol Syntec 0W30! Ive been using this in my Trans Am since 2003 when I read all the conclusive evidence on Bob is the Oil Guy. :grin:

The car still runs great and last time I pulled the heads and had them worked on, the guy was amazed the car had 67k miles on it. He thought the heads came off a garage queen! :)

#23 ·
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Aug 19 2010, 11:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350419
OK...just a shade under 5 quarts.
I was a little off. Here are the specs from hmaservice.com

Capacity :
Total : 5.5 L (1.45 U.S.gal., 5.81 U.S.qt., 4.84 lmp.qt.)
Oil pan : 4.2 L (1.11 U.S.gal., 4.44 U.S.qt., 3.70 lmp.qt.)

Drain and refill including oil filter :
4.6 L (1.22 U.S.gal., 4.86 U.S.qt., 4.05 lmp.qt.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.