Hyundai Forums banner

What kind of oil does 2017 Santa Fe Sport 2.4 L and frequency of oil changes ?

16K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Turbonut 
#1 ·
Manual says 5 30 regular or 10 30. Oil cap lists 5 20 and to replace every 7.5 k miles. Dealer said to use Synthetic blend 5 30 and to change every 4k miles.

#3 ·
Oil threads never end and it seems as though everyone has an opinion, but go by the owner's manual 2017 SF, 2.4, 5-20 or 5-30 every 7500 miles. As far as oil, I'd go cheap and the only reason I say Walmert SuperTech sythetic 5-30 is not only because of the price 5qts $17, it's dexos approved and SN plus. Sam's club also has Prime synthetic blend, 5-30 SN plus $1.79 qt. Been using both for years in the 2.0T, 2..4, as well as Acura, Jeep, Nissan, etc. and as with most all oils, no problems, these are just inexpensive and do their job.

#6 ·
+1 on Wally World for oil. Also at one point they were selling the Hyundai oil filter. Apparently they have begun selling a lot of foreign OEM filters even though the bulk of OE stuff is ACDelco and Motorcraft.

One thing I forgot to mention...the crush washers. Very important to change out along with the dirty oil. Have gotten 2 changes out of them (when I ran out) but can be found online for cheap or talk to a dealer parts counter they will discount if you buy in bulk

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Agree with above about using synthetic 5W20 or 5W30, based on price..

However, change every 6 months if you drive less than 10,000 mi per year.

Using OEM oil filter is important. You should be able to get 10 for <$50 online, including Amazon.
I agree, my 2018 SFS is due for its 4th oil/filter change next month. It has 3,925 miles, so I'm a every 6 month oil/filter changer.

#5 ·
The official word is what is in your manual. Everything else is only a suggestion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.