Hyundai Forums banner

Has your Sonata had to go back to the dealer after delivery?

• Total voters
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Sonata Limited 1.6T , 2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T
10 Posts
Wind noise and water in door issue. Both have been fixed. Two ECM recalls. Door seam sealer and insulation were both fixed.
Ive got the wind nose. How did they fix it? And what did they do for the water?

·
Registered
2020 Sonata Limited Stormy Sea
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
you should first try changing the cabin filter. i would also get an automotive a/c disinfectant spray. my wife used to smoke in the car, and after she quit, i used a spray disinfectant, and it got rid of all the stale smell. i would first remove the cabin filter, use the spray, then put the new one in. additionally:
if your car has leather, this company makes a couple of leather seat cleaners/conditioners that amplify the nice scent. they also have a spray freshener in leather. if you have a pet that rides in the car, the hair will get sucked into the air inlet and trapped in the cabin filter. if you cant or dont want to do any of this, take the car to a detailer, they will get rid of the smell
Thanks for the information on the chemical guys. My old car had cracked leather and I never want to deal with that again, I really want to baby these seats for this car.
I still have that new car scent but it's fading fast, today is the first day of my second month with the car.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
the chemical guys quick detailer for leather will leave the same scent, and i also use their leather serum. these products are made to clean the seats, and also have uv protection. nothing penetrates the coated leather, but it does need to be cleaned and protected.

·
Registered
2020 Sonata Limited Stormy Sea
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
the chemical guys quick detailer for leather will leave the same scent, and i also use their leather serum. these products are made to clean the seats, and also have uv protection. nothing penetrates the coated leather, but it does need to be cleaned and protected.
Looks like a lot of their products are out of stock, and I am not going to buy a gallon sized leather conditioner. I'll check back soon and see if things get better.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
autozone carries the chemical guys products, and amazon. you gotta be careful on pricing, some of the amazon pricing is high because of shipping. i bought the leather fragrance, just got it a couple of days ago. scent is kinda weak, but the detailer has great scent, plus it cleans and has uv protection.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima SX-T
19 Posts
Looks like a lot of their products are out of stock, and I am not going to buy a gallon sized leather conditioner. I'll check back soon and see if things get better.
Amazon.com : chemical guys leather

Have used the cleaner, the syrum and the conditioner. No complaints, it does a nice job and my seats still looking new with no cracks/crinkles. Its amazing how the leather soaks up the conditioner. The leather has always felt a little on the firm side but after conditioning they feel much softer. If you have cooled seats would take it easy over the perforated parts. Treat them but try not to goop the holes up. The other products like quick leather detailer I've never tried, looks interestin. If its that easy and good might have to try some.

Agree that on Amazon you really have to watch pricing particularly on Chemicals Guys products as they are all over the place and seem to fluctuate. Just bought some foam soaps from there and prices were good, but lookin at some other things and prices were high. When I'm not sure of price compare off chemical guys website vs amazon. Prices are usually a little higher on amazon but they kind of have to be to sell there products there. Its hard to beat the prime shipping :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thanks for your input. I appreciate all suggestions. I loved my 2019 Santa Fe that I traded for this one but this odor makes it really hard to enjoy all the bells and whistles of this new one. You open the door and it’s just unpleasant to get in. You acclimate after a few minutes but every time you get in a closed car the smell hits you. I have cloth seats and I’ve sniffed those like a bloodhound and I don’t think they are the source. The dealership sprayed inside the vents the first time. While it has not been written on any of the paperwork they tell me they checked the hoses and the cabin air filter. I’ve ruled out the mats as being a source but owners on the Pallisade forum with this same issue are saying it’s the headrests (I have yet to investigate mine). I’m following all suggestions I’ve been given on this and other forums—baking the car, windows down, in the sun in my driveway in 92+ degree heat for 5-6 hour stretches (so far ineffective but it’s only 3 days into that due to rain), and I bought 4 1lb bags of activated charcoal which are places throughout the closed vehicle at all other times (so far also ineffective). Hyundai Consumer Care asked my dealer to order a mold kit 2 weeks ago to rule out mildew. Still waiting on that before I invest the money for a professional detailer to run an ion generator inside the car for 5 hours. All of the research I’ve been doing has taught me that this is a common, documented problem with a lot of cars (though mostly those manufactured in Korea). From here on out when I purchase a vehicle I am going to be sure that I’m the first person to open the closed car I want to purchase that has sat on the lot overnight and if it smells like anything but new car I’m outta there. I’ve pretty much figured that this isn’t a problem the dealership or Hyundai are going to take responsibility for. I can either take a huge financial hit and trade it in or I live with it (or not, depending on the toxicity level) for the 6 year life of my car loan. (Sigh)
I work in importing of consumer goods out of Asia. During the rainy season, we actually have to add chemicals to the paint of many of our products, to inhibit mold growth. I even saw mold growth on aluminum surfaces, which blew my mind because there was no organic material for the mold to consume. Point is, mold can grow anywhere, if given the right conditions. I've also dealt with mold remediation, which is a royal pain in the $$$. Good luck to you.

Separately, my current Sonata had the sunroof drains get plugged multiple times. Once was during the 4 week time period that the car sat at the dealer, waiting for a new motor. There were flooding rains. Luckily, I had forgotten my EZ pass in of the car, and discovered the puddle of water in the driver foot well. Ever since, there has been a mild musty smell. A year later, the drains got plugged again, and I had to go back and clear them with weed wacker line. If you have a sunroof, I would check that the drains are functioning properly.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts