Hyundai Forums banner

Has your Sonata had to go back to the dealer after delivery?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Sonata Limited Stormy Sea
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had this limited for a week and noticed that there is a huge gap between the plastic backing on my passenger seat and the leather. It looks like it's not latched correctly. I'll try to attach some photos. Going back to the dealer. The day after I bought the car I was at the car wash and noticed a bad paint chip. I also noticed it in the photos that I took while the car was at the dealer before the paperwork was done. Thankfully I have a good iPhone for photos! The dealer is supposed to fix my paint chip and seat this weekend, and I am supposed to get a loaner car. The dealership is a 2 hour drive each way.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
i found a pretty good sized ding in the right front 'A' pillar. but not for several days. it was raining cats and dogs the day we got the car, and i didnt get to really inspect it. then, i also noticed the nav system had some directions in it for chico, texas, about 15 miles from the dealer. car also had about 70 miles on the odo. but it has been excellent so far

·
Registered
2020 Sonata Limited (Stormy Sea)
189 Posts
Wind noise that was fixed with a new window seal. Screeching rear window currently awaiting installation of a new inner window belt-line trim piece (i think).

·
Registered
20 Sonata LTD, St. Sea Blue, All Black interior.
93 Posts
Yeah my car had 18 miles on it and was obviously a test driver. If it had more miles on it than that I'd have gotten another car. 1 month after had a ECM recall, after that recall the car started misfiring BADLY with violent engine vibrations. After 2 unsuccessful attempts at fixing it on the 3rd try there was another ECM update that FINALLY fixed the misfirings. If you're familiar with computers and how they release a patch for a game or program that breaks something else. In retrospect this is what probably happened to me. I'm not even sure if it was a ECM fix or they just rolled it back to the original ECM software.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Wind noise and water in door issue. Both have been fixed. Two ECM recalls. Door seam sealer and insulation were both fixed.

·
Registered
2020 Sonata SEL Plus
77 Posts
Nothing except improper psi nitrogen. Not sure if that is from factory or dealer installed. Most likely dealer.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The carpet on the front passenger side is messed up (like it's in a bind) on the sides of the footwell. Haven't taken it back to the dealer yet. I also have the water staying in the rear door sill issue after a rain or car wash. Still really like the car though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Had this limited for a week and noticed that there is a huge gap between the plastic backing on my passenger seat and the leather. It looks like it's not latched correctly. I'll try to attach some photos. Going back to the dealer. The day after I bought the car I was at the car wash and noticed a bad paint chip. I also noticed it in the photos that I took while the car was at the dealer before the paperwork was done. Thankfully I have a good iPhone for photos! The dealer is supposed to fix my paint chip and seat this weekend, and I am supposed to get a loaner car. The dealership is a 2 hour drive each way. View attachment 448994 View attachment 448995
Ours had the same issue, but we noticed it during our test drive, and was easily snapped back into place. We've had the car for about 6 months, and it hasn't come loose.

·
Registered
2020 Sonata Limited Stormy Sea
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got back from the dealer yesterday. They just touched up the rock chip in my paint and like Murphie said, they just clipped the seat back into place.

Also there was an ECM update for the car.

Since they touched up my paint, I ran into a random summer downpour and while my sunroof was open (the glass section was closed) I felt a tiny bit of water hitting me. Is this normal?

·
Registered
10 Posts
My car has a very strong chemical/mildew smell. It’s going on 3 months now with no resolution. The dealership is totally unresponsive and the service dept says they smell nothing (I’ve got a couple dozen people that dispute their claim). Not happy. Do not enjoy driving this vehicle I am stuck with that is probably harmful to my health. Done with Hyundai after this experience.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
My car has a very strong chemical/mildew smell. It’s going on 3 months now with no resolution. The dealership is totally unresponsive and the service dept says they smell nothing (I’ve got a couple dozen people that dispute their claim). Not happy. Do not enjoy driving this vehicle I am stuck with that is probably harmful to my health. Done with Hyundai after this experience.
you should first try changing the cabin filter. i would also get an automotive a/c disinfectant spray. my wife used to smoke in the car, and after she quit, i used a spray disinfectant, and it got rid of all the stale smell. i would first remove the cabin filter, use the spray, then put the new one in. additionally:
if your car has leather, this company makes a couple of leather seat cleaners/conditioners that amplify the nice scent. they also have a spray freshener in leather. if you have a pet that rides in the car, the hair will get sucked into the air inlet and trapped in the cabin filter. if you cant or dont want to do any of this, take the car to a detailer, they will get rid of the smell

·
Registered
10 Posts
you should first try changing the cabin filter. i would also get an automotive a/c disinfectant spray. my wife used to smoke in the car, and after she quit, i used a spray disinfectant, and it got rid of all the stale smell. i would first remove the cabin filter, use the spray, then put the new one in. additionally:
if your car has leather, this company makes a couple of leather seat cleaners/conditioners that amplify the nice scent. they also have a spray freshener in leather. if you have a pet that rides in the car, the hair will get sucked into the air inlet and trapped in the cabin filter. if you cant or dont want to do any of this, take the car to a detailer, they will get rid of the smell
Thanks for your input. I appreciate all suggestions. I loved my 2019 Santa Fe that I traded for this one but this odor makes it really hard to enjoy all the bells and whistles of this new one. You open the door and it’s just unpleasant to get in. You acclimate after a few minutes but every time you get in a closed car the smell hits you. I have cloth seats and I’ve sniffed those like a bloodhound and I don’t think they are the source. The dealership sprayed inside the vents the first time. While it has not been written on any of the paperwork they tell me they checked the hoses and the cabin air filter. I’ve ruled out the mats as being a source but owners on the Pallisade forum with this same issue are saying it’s the headrests (I have yet to investigate mine). I’m following all suggestions I’ve been given on this and other forums—baking the car, windows down, in the sun in my driveway in 92+ degree heat for 5-6 hour stretches (so far ineffective but it’s only 3 days into that due to rain), and I bought 4 1lb bags of activated charcoal which are places throughout the closed vehicle at all other times (so far also ineffective). Hyundai Consumer Care asked my dealer to order a mold kit 2 weeks ago to rule out mildew. Still waiting on that before I invest the money for a professional detailer to run an ion generator inside the car for 5 hours. All of the research I’ve been doing has taught me that this is a common, documented problem with a lot of cars (though mostly those manufactured in Korea). From here on out when I purchase a vehicle I am going to be sure that I’m the first person to open the closed car I want to purchase that has sat on the lot overnight and if it smells like anything but new car I’m outta there. I’ve pretty much figured that this isn’t a problem the dealership or Hyundai are going to take responsibility for. I can either take a huge financial hit and trade it in or I live with it (or not, depending on the toxicity level) for the 6 year life of my car loan. (Sigh)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for your input. I appreciate all suggestions. I loved my 2019 Santa Fe that I traded for this one but this odor makes it really hard to enjoy all the bells and whistles of this new one. You open the door and it’s just unpleasant to get in. You acclimate after a few minutes but every time you get in a closed car the smell hits you. I have cloth seats and I’ve sniffed those like a bloodhound and I don’t think they are the source. The dealership sprayed inside the vents the first time. While it has not been written on any of the paperwork they tell me they checked the hoses and the cabin air filter. I’ve ruled out the mats as being a source but owners on the Pallisade forum with this same issue are saying it’s the headrests (I have yet to investigate mine). I’m following all suggestions I’ve been given on this and other forums—baking the car, windows down, in the sun in my driveway in 92+ degree heat for 5-6 hour stretches (so far ineffective but it’s only 3 days into that due to rain), and I bought 4 1lb bags of activated charcoal which are places throughout the closed vehicle at all other times (so far also ineffective). Hyundai Consumer Care asked my dealer to order a mold kit 2 weeks ago to rule out mildew. Still waiting on that before I invest the money for a professional detailer to run an ion generator inside the car for 5 hours. All of the research I’ve been doing has taught me that this is a common, documented problem with a lot of cars (though mostly those manufactured in Korea). From here on out when I purchase a vehicle I am going to be sure that I’m the first person to open the closed car I want to purchase that has sat on the lot overnight and if it smells like anything but new car I’m outta there. I’ve pretty much figured that this isn’t a problem the dealership or Hyundai are going to take responsibility for. I can either take a huge financial hit and trade it in or I live with it (or not, depending on the toxicity level) for the 6 year life of my car loan. (Sigh)
TYPO: I traded a 2010 Santa Fe , not a 2019

·
Registered
53 Posts
yesterday i noticed the chrome going between the front and rear door on the passenger side is off by about half an inch. the driver side lines up about perfectly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
okay so i pressed as hard as i could to see if the chrome strip had some type of clasp -- did not know if its glued or what. did not help. took a rubber mallet to it and heard a snap, now the chrome strip is aligned and not flopping in the wind anymore.

·
Registered
4 Posts
On my car, the rear driver's side passenger seat leather is not flush with the door frame, and you can see the yellow airbag cord behind a small gap. They said the leather may still be "settling" and if it's still visible after 1000 miles or so, i could file a warranty claim to have it fixed.

I was a bit unnerved by the QC issues I found by driving 4 different models. One had leather imperfections in the front seats. Mine had the issue in the rear.

There were even driving issues I found that varied. I took the same route all 3 times in 3 different cars and the experience was different for each.. One had a steering wheel shake/vibration that seemed like an alignment issue (they claimed it was fine). Another Limited I drove had the driver's seat shaking so much that it was unnerving. A 3rd car drove fine (but has more road noise due to different tires). I ended up going with the 3rd car out of caution, even though the color/leather weren't my first choice.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts